Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Another shooting in an American school

Rea

I've been watching the news and it seems 29 people, 21 of which are children have been shot dead in America. Its tragic and so predictable where guns are going to be so easily accessible.

My heart goes out to the family's, such a sad day :(

thanks also Inge for posting - as someone who has near and dear ones who suffer with mental illness - my heart goes out to her and others like her - it is easy to say about gun laws but not see the underlying issues- please may the stigma associated with mental health be lifted and everyone start to gain soneme understanding for those who suffer including those around them and may those families who have so sadly been denied seeing their children grow up one day find some peace .

• Like 1

My friends son stated hearing voices when he was about 14. Since then he's been in and out of hospitals and care homes but he has a flat of his own now and is well supported to live a normal life. The constant care and worry drained my friend, her other son's became his carers too just so she could have a break now and then. We are extremely fortunate to have the NHS, with all its faults it's still one worry our parents dont have.

• Like 1

Thanks Inge found that really thought provoking.

It has to be a 2 way approach surely.....if guns are less readily available then there is hopefully a better chance of them not falling into the hands of people who would for whatever reason use them in such a violent and tragic way.

And secondly mental health needs addressing FULL STOP!!!! The stigma attached to those with mental health illness is huge and the pain and worry for the family members of those people trying desperately to get the right help and support for their loved ones needs addressing. I am not suggesting that asylums are rebuilt but is does seem that since many of these type of institutions have been shut nothing has been put in their places and so the mentally ill do end up in either hospital or prison and I know from personal experience with a family member he experienced both :(

For all our intellect, innovation and great achievements of the 21st century I think many mentally ill people are treated no better now than they were in times gone by :angry:

• Like 1

Thanks Inge found that really thought provoking.

It has to be a 2 way approach surely.....if guns are less readily available then there is hopefully a better chance of them not falling into the hands of people who would for whatever reason use them in such a violent and tragic way.

And secondly mental health needs addressing FULL STOP!!!! The stigma attached to those with mental health illness is huge and the pain and worry for the family members of those people trying desperately to get the right help and support for their loved ones needs addressing. I am not suggesting that asylums are rebuilt but is does seem that since many of these type of institutions have been shut nothing has been put in their places and so the mentally ill do end up in either hospital or prison and I know from personal experience with a family member he experienced both :(

For all our intellect, innovation and great achievements of the 21st century I think many mentally ill people are treated no better now than they were in times gone by :angry:

well said Sue