Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

ordering numbers

Hi all, hoping you can help me!

Have got 4 maths lessons to plan for this week with 'ordering numbers' as the focus, have got some ideas so far- having a puppet who gets his numbers muddled can the ch'ren help/ postman delivering numbers to correct houses/ number hunts outside/ number formation games- IWB for HA and using natural materials for LA but have you any exciting ideas for games/ adult-initiated activities or independent activities for ch'ren to do???? It's for Reception class- I'm planning for both higher and lower ability sets; I will be teaching highers with TA teaching lowers. HA recognise and order numbers 1-20 and lowers 1-10 (1 boy is on 1-5)

Also, am I being a bit dull or has new EYFS only included ordering numbers in ELG? Was struggling to create an EYFS linked DM for learning objective

Thank you in advance! :1b

Edited by ExtraordinaryChicken

we have a box of shredded paper with cars/animals etc. in with numbers on, the children find an object and park it in the correct parking spot or put it in the correct part of the zoo etc.

could have a row of teddies or other soft toys and luggage labels with numbers on with elastic threaded through to put around their necks and then sort into order.

Fishing for numbered ducks, we have some cheapy plastic ducks we have numbered on the bottom and a net, children fish them out and put them in order.

I can't remember who it was, but someone had a couple of activities on here a few weeks ago, basically the children had to find so many items before they could get to the key to unlock the box and set the princess free - sounded a lot of fun, maybe there is something there you could adapt to what your children's needs are.

Edited by Panders

There is a TES iboard game which involves the postman delivering letters to the houses in order. You can differentiate further by not showing the house numbers on the door. It is one that doesn't need a subscription too.

No - it's all there in the DMs ages/stages. may not say "ordering" but that's what it will mean, skills such as saying the number before in 40 - 60 will rely on knowing the number sequence, reciting numbers in 30 - 50 etc etc

Thanks for that, Catma - I was wondering that too!

ooh thank you all for those fab ideas, knew you'd all come up trumps! :D

ducks is so simple but had completely missed that idea, love the luggage labels idea too! Will link that into the puppet muddling his numbers up as an extension activity and will look for postman iBoard game to include ICT element, thank you all!

Thank you too Catma, I'm sure it was more explicit in previous EYFS- just got to look a bit deeper with this one

I'm no expert but I was doing Pudsy Bear dot-to-dots with a nearly four year old last week and watched as the order of the numbers started to click into place. Too much like work sheets?

Honey

Was any child 'harmed' in the process?!!! :ph34r:

Edited by sunnyday
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)