Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent doesnt want child to go outside

Rea

I know this has been discussed before but I cant find it.

One of our parents is against her child going outside because he has a cold/just getting over a cold/coming down with a cold!

I need pointing to something from the EYFS hopefully or anything I can use in a newsletter.

Inge has put some wonderful things in the resources concerning outdoor play and I'll be using some of that but I need something concise and to the point and I know I wont do that, I'll just go round the wrekin to say anything.

is it part of your conditions of attending, or in policies somewhere that you go outside each day whatever the weather... we had it written down in parental agreement that they signed before attending the setting, and my reply when they asked not to let the child out for similar reasons , was that we all went out and if they were not well enough to join in they were not well enough to be there..

not checked new eyfs conditions , is it still there that they must go outside every day , that was my other comment it was a condition of registration so blamed Ofsted!

• Like 1

I couldnt see it in the new EYFS but I havent read it in any depth yet, its also not something we've ever put into a policy from memory anyway. I agree, if they're ill they should be at home, mom doesnt work so it wouldnt be the end of the world. I think she's just one of those mum's who think outside is bad unless a 101 conditions are met.

Hi Rea

We have an outdoor play policy that says that we go outdoors every day - children too unwell to play outdoors are too unwell to be indoors spreading their germs. The statutory frame work says thus

"3.57 The provider must ensure that, so far as is reasonable, the facilities, equipment and access to the premises are suitable for children with disabilities. Providers must provide access to an outdoor play area or, if that is not possible, ensure that outdoor activities are planned and taken on a daily basis (unless circumstances make this inappropriate, for example unsafe weather conditions)."

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Hi Rea

We have an outdoor play policy that says that we go outdoors every day - children too unwell to play outdoors are too unwell to be indoors spreading their germs. The statutory frame work says thus

"3.57 The provider must ensure that, so far as is reasonable, the facilities, equipment and access to the premises are suitable for children with disabilities. Providers must provide access to an outdoor play area or, if that is not possible, ensure that outdoor activities are planned and taken on a daily basis (unless circumstances make this inappropriate, for example unsafe weather conditions)."

Hope that helps.

Thats just the quote I need, thanks Sue :1b

Just say if he's getting over/has/or going down with cold and not well enough to go out that he's clearly not well enough to be in setting....and actually it's just as bl**dy cold inside as out with the door wide open , lol

We dont have free access, we have to walk them round to the garden so inside is warm, well, between October and May when the heating's on :huh:

I'm drafting a newsletter about outdoor play. I need help wording the last bit If your child has a cold and you are worried about them being outside...

I want to say, "keep them at home", but I think there's a better way of saying it. :ph34r:

At XXX we try to make the most of our outdoor play space all year round providing children with the opportunity to play in the fresh air throughout the year. As play at the setting comprises both indoor and outdoor play all year round and in all weathers, children attending the setting should be healthy and well enough to engage in the full range of indoor and outdoor activities offered each day. The only exceptions are children whose additional needs compromise their general good health and engagement levels. It is also important that all children come to the setting prepared appropriately for outdoor play – irrespective of the weather conditions.

This is the start of my outdoor play policy if that helps

Of course, you could make this more general - and state that children must be well enough to participate in the full range of activities on offer, including outdoor play, in order to attend.

If you're in a situation where everyone goes outside together, then you could state that it is not possible to make staffing arrangments to faciliate individual children staying inside when not fit enough to participate with outside play.

It's a hard one - good luck!

Last year I did a literature review regarding the impact of the natural environment on young children's holistic development and wellbeing - part of it was health related and included the following paragraph which might be useful.

"... Unfortunately, often a lack of understanding exists concerning children’s health and the natural environment, with some parents believing that their child might ‘catch a cold’ or a ‘cold will get worse' if they play outside in cold weather (Bilton, 2010). Bilton (2010) refers to Eccles (2008) who relays evidence from a study carried out at the Common Cold Centre in Cardiff, which indicates that cold viruses live within us, not in fresh air (Bilton, 2010). If children are dressed appropriately to prevent getting ‘chilled’, then playing outside is beneficial to their health (Bilton, 2010) ...."