Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Science day in school nursery

We are having a science day in school and nursery and reception have been asked by the head to join in the whole day.My first reation to plan has been a 'Senses'day with melting choc, ice balloons, jelly in trays ETC.

We've been asked to provide a wow factor and I'm at a loss to wow my headteacher with 3/4 year olds while working to our EYFS curriculum.I also need a famous scientist to talk to the children about how scientists have worked.

Can anybody help me???

thanks

SH

I have a poem somewhere about melting chocolate, that you read whilst children hold a chocolate button. I'll see if I can dig it out if its the kind of thing you want. The chap who wrote Bear Hunt wrote it - sorry, it's been a long day and his name has fallen out of my head!

I also need a famous scientist to talk to the children about how scientists have worked.

Can anybody help me???

thanks

SH

Wow! That's a big ask - where on earth are you meant to find a 'famous scientist' and do you have a budget for this?

Could have a look at the 'Imagination Tree' website - might find something on there.........

Blocks of ice with things frozen in them are always fun and you could always laminate words/pictures to put inside them to underline the learning.

Have a range of things to activate the thawing process....salt, heat (could place a lump of ice on a hot water bottle), spray de-icer (children would need supervising with this one of course), things to scrap the ice with to aid thawing.....maybe the tools you use with clay/playdough could be used

As for famous scientist....Newton and do gravity ???? Tough one.....did a search and got this lot maybe something there

Good luck

Blocks of ice with things frozen in them are always fun and you could always laminate words/pictures to put inside them to underline the learning.

Have a range of things to activate the thawing process....salt, heat (could place a lump of ice on a hot water bottle), spray de-icer (children would need supervising with this one of course), things to scrap the ice with to aid thawing.....maybe the tools you use with clay/playdough could be used

As for famous scientist....Newton and do gravity ???? Tough one.....did a search and got this lot maybe something there

Good luck

well of course if you have seen the recent video i posted ublick (cornflour/water mix) is a non-newtonian fluid ;)

Thanks for all the ideas.I'm going to use chocolate and ice to compare and encourage the children to predict and talk about what they find out.The ideas are great.Cant't believe how helpful people are as this is the first time i have used the forum.

Thanks again

Sharon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)