Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Please tell me I'm not going mad! (er)

Today we had a wonderful time! After a brief discussion about Halloween with a number of children, I dug out the halloween costumns and put them in the home-corner, thinking "this will liven up and change the role-play, perfect for extending their role-play skills, as well as communication and language." I was at that point NOT thinking about any particular children whose 'target' it is to extend their skills in these areas but more generally thinking that we can use this as a way into developing any/all children's role-play or/and C&L skills at WHATEVER LEVEL THEY MAY BE (and we are all well aware of where they are, where they need to go next!). An enormous amount of FUN was had by all (and children were supported by the adults in THEIR skills development with the role-play & C&L). Then...during this play I suggested to one boy who hasn't yet demonstrated much interest in making activities that he could make a wand? He thought this was an excellent idea, and together we worked out what we needed. I supported him where needed to produce his wand - modelling, demonstrating and assisting him with skills that he needs AT HIS LEVEL. I and another adult, due to popular demand of the activity, support other children AT THEIR LEVEL. I then asked this same boy "what spells do witches do?" "do we have a spell book", the boy replied "I could make one!" (I know that this boy 'targets' include 'give meaning to marks') so of he went, supported by a different adult and made a spell book.

I feel like I'm going mad as although I feel like we have a very productive morning that has included so much learning for the children, I'm doubting myself (I am Little Miss Doubt!) as whether my approach is 'right'. I think that having long term targets for the children is important to support them in their areas of most need but I am a strong believer that the children have a right to progress at WHATEVER LEVEL THEY ARE in all areas of learning. So even if they are already above average with their role-play skills, I as an educator, should be supporting the children to get even better! If, of course, I can 'feed' something in which also supports them with areas that they have a greater 'need' in, then brilliant! Bearing in mind that their 'targets' are also planned for in different ways as well!

Any thoughts? Am I on the right track or have I lost the plot?

Thanks,

Green Hippo x

• Like 3

Green Hippo that sounds like a fantastic approach! As you said we are all well aware of what our children would benefit from and what a lovely way to support them...freely without the obstruction of a focused activity or observation sheet...after all you now have your wonderful memories when you come to write up any evidence etc :-)

as skilled educators I totally go with a loose/reflective 'planning', getting in there and following the journey the children take us on...using our skills to throw in appropriate challenges and provocations, without hijacking or spoiling play...or even just leaving them to it!!

Then we reflect on it and take the next day from the reflections, writing up any special moments for that child and sharing with their parents

you're not mad, in my humble opinion - quite the opposite!

Green hippo you were SPOT on! As far as I am concerned targets are for the adults in EYFS and all children have the right to a childhood. Good practitioners know their children well and your responsiveness to those children was excellent. Children have a right to a childhood and to play, explore and make choices and you developed that very well. You were completely reflective and appropriate in your action so keep it up - children need inspirational educators NOT automatons!

You are certainly on track! Steam on...

Lorna

It used to be called differentiation by outcome - ie you supported the child within the open ended tasks to progress from their starting point.

This is an open ended activity which you are enabling, so it provided challenge for all levels of abilty, ie teaching effectively.

You have an eye on the overall expectations and this learning will be moving towards them - we don't go backwards when we do something new and stimulating.

If you had planned the activity you would have had a different sense of targetting particular children, but this was to do with supporting learning through sustained shared thinking. Go read the adult role in the 3 characteristics and see how good this has been!!!

Cx

Sometimes, its difficult to see the wood for the trees. We get bamboozled by so much we begin to doubt ourselves.

On the other hand reflection is good and you can now move forward knowing you are on the right track!!!

It must be fun to work with you and to be a child in your class.

Thank you for sharing and well done.

Sounds fabulous to me, isnt it sad when we as dedicated practitioners have started to doubt our own abilities so much. I had a huge wobble like this a couple of weeks ago. Really glad that there are such supportive people on this forum who alwayd have wise words to share and who will also always tell the truth.

• Like 1

Sounds good to me :)

Was recently asked how we plan for 2year olds...when I replied 'we don't they looked at me like I was stupid.....cp is accessed by all, and they use it dependent on their own abilities and if it's an adult led activity, then again they can all participate.....it's the staff that differentiate levels support needed to suit varying levels of ability or to move on and challange whether they,re 2,3 or 4.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)