Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Understanding the World - how do you do it?

Hey, I'm in my first year in the eyfs and am struggling a bit to get my head out of KS1 thinking.

Thinking about UW i know we need to incorporate science, history, geog, and ICT etc. How do you make sure that you cover it all? do you have ICT focus one week, history the next etc? use topic planning and do geog etc only if it fits in? I'm getting so confused and finding it really hard to fit everything in :( also do you include RE in UW or PSED?

please help me :)

I wouldn't be thinking in school subjects, the EYFS curriculum is distinct and complete - there are 3 aspects in Understanding the world, so you need to focus on the content of those, rather than trying to translate into something else. In regard to RE, I can't recall the legislation re the statutory nature of it and pre school aged children so would need to check.

Cx

It's bound to be difficult if you are new to the early years but rather than trying to separate things out think of the child and their learning more holistically.

If you look at the understanding the world developmental matters you will see the world, technology and people and communities are the headings, if you then look at what is under each heading you will gain an idea of the areas covered by this specific area.

I really dont think you should be worrying about RE, Geography history etc. . . .

Use what the children are interested in to add to their knowledge .

Hope you make sense of it all x

Nursery World (issue 2 weeks ago but probably online) had a good feature on Understanding the World. Think we were over thinking it !!

15-18th Oct. Just reading it now (well with distractions of course) I totally agree about 'over-thinking' it.

I think just try to include stuff as it comes up, relevant to what you are doing. When laking a dark den, add in some torches and there's a bit of ICT. Teach the children how to use the listening centre- bit more ICT which is always out in the continuous provision. Decay and growing can be specifically planned in or incorporated each week in gardening activities, looking for bugs, forest school etc.Sometimes it's more about capturing their comments. We gathered lots of info. when someone brought in a dead goldfinch from their garden. Lots of questions like 'is it still alive? Well where has it's life gone then?' - input a bit of RE. .... Lovely questions to explore.."Do all animals go to heaven?' eventually linked to a visit to a graveyard/church. We planned in work on other cultures in an 'around the world' topic with map on wall, postcards, photos of our travels etc.

A 'where we live' project led to making simple maps of the area, finding 'people who help us in the community', looking at the jobs people do etc.

You can retrospectively plan it with the EYFS. See what comes up and then highlight it off as 'coverage that has been offered'. As the year goes on you will start to see what your remaining focuses need to be from the things that still aren't highlighted.

Nursery World (issue 2 weeks ago but probably online) had a good feature on Understanding the World. Think we were over thinking it !!

Thank you :)

My understanding is that RE is statutory and has to be taught as discreet I was told 1 hour per week.

Deb

I thought the same. When I do my medium term planning. I have a separate RE and PE plan (I have to teach one discrete PE lesson a week) but everything else goes into a topic plan - using EYFS headings not NC subjects.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)