Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Issues

We are a privately owned (myself) term time pre-school. For September I employed two new members of staff both already known to us and having worked relief hours for us.

Remaining staff have started to raise concerns about 1 particular new member of staff, they complain continuously to my deputy (never me!). They feel she spends too much time around her key children, she only has 3, and isn't aware of the rest of the room. I myself have noticed this occasionaly and have asked her to ensure she paying equal attention to what is happening around her. I appreciate this isn't always easy! From my point of view she is still young and although level 3 qualified she still lacks experieince which we all needed support with at some time!! However she only works 3 days a week and is 10 minutes late each time she is in, I know 10 minutes isn't a lot but it does amount to 30 minutes a week, 19 hours over a 38 week year!!

How would you move forward with this? She still has 4 weeks to run on her probation.

Kris

I would sit down with her now and say I that if these things aren't addressed you will not be continuing her contract after the end of next month. Remind her of what you have already brought to her attention and pull her up on the lateness - you can't ave that where ratios are to be maintained! You are giving her notice to improve, and then I would say that you should give her a further month to show that she can maintain that improvement. Harsh perhaps, but she's affecting the whole team

• Like 8

Not easy is it is, I have a long standing member of staff which I'm constantly having to remind that she has to be more aware of what's going on around the setting and not just the child she's interacting with, just doesn't seem to have the ability to focus on more than one thing at once to the annoyance of others.

With the timekeeping have you recorded all lateness or given any verbal warnings yet .? As you say all those 10 mins add up, and again annoy others if they feel she keeps getting away with it, I'd def be looking to get it sorted in the 4 weeks and maybe extend the probation period on those grounds. Good luck

I agree with Cait - with regard to the lateness you have to tackle this now and give her chance to improve. It isn't clear from your post whether you have talked to her about the lateness before but if not it would be unfair to suddenly say at the end of her probation that you're not going to confirm her appointment because of it.

You mention that she is inexperienced - she may not realise the implication of all those ten minutes either on your business, or on the staff team. Sounds unlikely, but it is often true!

Good luck - this is definitely the aspect of running a nursery that I miss the least!

• Like 1

definitely agree with the others - be firm and clear; if this is happening when she is apparently 'all singing all dancing' trying to impress you to secure her job then there is likely to be other future issues

totally agree it's the worst part but being transparent in your expectations does make it slightly easier when issues arise - and also when you've seen it for yourself so are not relying on the word of others

Edited by gingerbreadman

Agree with everyone else - I always discuss punctuality and attendance at termly supervision but also raise lateness at the time. I keep a record of lateness and note what the person said, what I said etc. last year I had a problem with this wih 2 new young members of staff and said all the stuff about impacting on ratios, the team morale etc. it improved greatly.

The lateness needs addressing - we have this problem with one staff member aswell. She walks through the door at exactly her start time - by the time she has hung her coat and bag up, stored her mobile, had a drink and been to the loo she is 10 minutes late!!! Meanwhile all the children have come in and we are over ratio....

With regards the lateness all times are recorded in our register and I have mentioned a couple of times that she is running late!! Have arranged a meeting for after half term to discuss things with her.

Thank you for all the replies, sometimes I know what I should do just need the push to do it!! Don't enjoy this side of the business!!

Kris

• Like 1

I would sit down with her now and say I that if these things aren't addressed you will not be continuing her contract after the end of next month. Remind her of what you have already brought to her attention and pull her up on the lateness - you can't ave that where ratios are to be maintained! You are giving her notice to improve, and then I would say that you should give her a further month to show that she can maintain that improvement. Harsh perhaps, but she's affecting the whole team

Completely agree with Cait and lateness is something I have had to speak to a staff member about - I used the phrase "being late is simply not an option, I need you to be here and ready to greet and support your Key Children" - she sulked for an entire session, but to date has never been late again.

The other point about being so wrapped in her own few Key Children is something else that I have had to address and the whole issue was highlighted by a SIP once which added some 'gravitas' to what I had been saying - SIP referred to it as developing 'radar' which I quite liked........

I have an otherwise fantastic staff member who tends to get so engrossed in whatever activity she is supporting that she absolutely no awareness of anything else that might be happening in the room - often sitting with her back to the room - I now only have to 'cough' radar as a little reminder now and then........

Good luck - it's 'tough at the top'! :1b

• Like 3