Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Vacuum cleaner interest

We have a 4 year old who is seriously into hoovers, so far we have supported this interest with having an old hoover to take apart, providing buckets of cleaning products in the home corner, having an electrical repair shop, using well known brand names as a provocation for mark making, made model hoovers from recyclable materials and bought him a handheld rechargeable real hoover to use. Now, other than inviting James Dyson to visit, we have run out of ideas. Anyone out there have any thoughts on where to go next?

We have a 4 year old who is seriously into hoovers, so far we have supported this interest with having an old hoover to take apart, providing buckets of cleaning products in the home corner, having an electrical repair shop, using well known brand names as a provocation for mark making, made model hoovers from recyclable materials and bought him a handheld rechargeable real hoover to use. Now, other than inviting James Dyson to visit, we have run out of ideas. Anyone out there have any thoughts on where to go next?

How interesting - i had a little boy last year with a serious 'hoover fetish' :rolleyes: actually he showed a strong rotation schema so when we had exhausted the 'hoover' angle I was able to get him interested in all sorts of other 'machines'! :1b

Could try your library and see if they have any interesting books........could provide some cutting/sticking opps with catalogue pages showing hoovers......

Failing that - please send him to my house where he can get lots of practical experience with a hoover :blink: xD

• Like 1

Remind's me of my eldest son, he used to sit and 'talk' to our vac for ages :D

How about extending what sunnyday says, more machines with mechanics, wheels and cogs, belt driven machines, carpet sweepers?

Can you talk about suction and then do some fun games....straws and little balls/discs of paper to suck and lift up and then transfer from one place to another

Change sucking to blowing and blow objects using a straw....make little boats from cut down yoghurt pots with lolly stick and paper sails stuck in with plasticine or some other fiendish adhesive method

As a treat you could have sherbet / sugar to suck up at snack time.....terribly bad for teeth but as a one off maybe.....there is of course milk and water to drink through straws :D

• Like 1

This made me laugh out loud!! My son ( now 19) has Aspergers and for ages his 'thing' was lawn mowers! he could identify cylinder, rotary, hover, electric and petrol at a glance and only ever drew or built mowers! He even read catalogues and manuals in school and knew what each member of staff owned. Eventually he added strimmers and Hoovers to this with similar levels of interest. He was fortunate to have teachers who (mostly ;) ) accepted they meeded to work with it!!

Love the ideas suggested to use the interest to extend learning!!

Can you talk about suction and then do some fun games....straws and little balls/discs of paper to suck and lift up and then transfer from one place to another

Change sucking to blowing and blow objects using a straw....make little boats from cut down yoghurt pots with lolly stick and paper sails stuck in with plasticine or some other fiendish adhesive method

As a treat you could have sherbet / sugar to suck up at snack time.....terribly bad for teeth but as a one off maybe.....there is of course milk and water to drink through straws :D

must admit this was my first thought - I remember the malteser advert where he picks up maltesers via a straw and transfers them to his girl friend to eat!

Blow bubbles painting nice little activity, blow football, other machines working with air like hovercraft, suction caps, those little things you get in party bags are always great fun.

Have you found anything on the history of vacuum cleaners which might interest him? What's better, cylinder or upright could you devise a fair test? Any of your parents own a vax which sucks up water as well which they might demonstrate for him.

Just googled 'obsession' and vacuum cleaners and there is a site called Circle of Moms where a mum is asking to talk to anyone else whose child loves vacuum cleaners, it would seem her 4 year old has 8 of his own, can change the belts, the bags etc. on them. He has made his own catalogue up draws and labels them and "writes" his own reviews he also likes to watch vacuum review videos, he can identify the different makes by any number of means.

Edited by Panders
  • Like 1

Nice ideas guys, finding it very hard to persuade him away from hoovers but the suction idea is a good one. If we have any visitors, the first thing he asks them 'is what kind of hoover do you have?'. i am trying to find some long lengths of hoover type tubing as he loves wrapping himself up in them, thought maybe we could do some kind of household cleaning music and movement work.

Nice ideas guys, finding it very hard to persuade him away from hoovers but the suction idea is a good one. If we have any visitors, the first thing he asks them 'is what kind of hoover do you have?'. i am trying to find some long lengths of hoover type tubing as he loves wrapping himself up in them, thought maybe we could do some kind of household cleaning music and movement work.

Sounds like a good idea - wish I could think how you could source this.....hmmm - will keep thinking.......

You have reminded me just how much I miss my little chap with the 'hoover fetish'.........

Really interested in Madmum's comment re her son and Aspergers - this was my thought about 'my' little chap - but area SENCO (or as close to an area SENCO as we get nowadays) felt differently - I need to find out how he is getting on at primary school.......

Well, this mum on Circle of Moms says he is only allowed a certain amount of time with his hoovers per day - so maybe, you could try a little of the "first we'll do this and then you can play with the hoover things" and he has to earn his time with them.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)