Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Risk assessments gone....!

Hi

we currently have a big huge war and peace style risk assessment for the setting and then we have a 'tick chart' style daily risk assessment that we tick each day at the beginning of the session.

We have just had a visit from someone from children's schools and families and they have told me that an Ofsted inspector told them (confused yet!!! :ph34r: ) that this is no longer required. What they would expect is the war and peace risk assessment but with not only the grading but what you would do about each event e.g. there is a leak in the toilet what would your procedure be? not just how likely is it and what have you done to prevent it kind of thing and to ditch the tick chart bit completely. She recommended that we put the tick chart into the main risk assessment and then say that every day a member of staff will complete these checks visually and that would be sufficient.

Obviously all different activities like trips etc.. will still need a risk assessment but it does cut down on paper and time! thought I would share and hope I have made sense. :P

We use a tick list of the things we would expect to be ok, fire door shut properly, windows locked, loo's flushed, floors clean. We add to it when we discover a problem, like today there was a leak in the men's loo's. I dont think we have the war and peace version nor ever did.

Actually, I had understood it the other way round! For trips out Ofsted would leave it up to us just how much risk assessment there is written down.

You would still need your fairly comprehensive list for the setting and I will continue to use a check list each day.

Interpretation again I suppose!

Actually, I had understood it the other way round! For trips out Ofsted would leave it up to us just how much risk assessment there is written down.

You would still need your fairly comprehensive list for the setting and I will continue to use a check list each day.

Interpretation again I suppose!

Agreed Panders - that's my understanding too..........

well to be honest it was mine as well but I have been told today no, we need the comprehensive version on file and then that's it, reviewed every year in case of changes. Apparently the tick list was not sufficient as it only showed I had visually checked it but not what procedure I would take if there was a problem and it is that bit that Ofsted are looking for. Essentially the lady I saw today has been telling all her setting the same thing and said we are just generating paperwork with the tick list. I must confess I don't want to sway a good practice for a less good practice but this is apparently the new Ofsted way. :blink:

Ok, so, those things I need to remember to check everyday - (I am very old and need a list or will just forget) is for my own benefit now. However, those things on my list also have to show on my comprehensive list which would show what I would do if I found the back door open, one of the loos didn't work, etc.

I wonder whether in some cases then it would be enough to write "would follow xyz procedure" rather than write the procedure out word for word all over again on the risk assessment

Edited by Panders

Whey Hey, at last someone trying to cut down paperwork!! BUT is it the right piece of paper? This once again sounds craazzy burocracy! are Ofsted questioning our sanity and commonsense here? Tick list daily risk assessment ensures ITS SAFE to GO in my opinion....if we were to glance around a shared setting and were side tracked ( no tick) and say a gate was left unlocked, dont think that the fact its written in war and peace that it SHOULD be locked would go far in the case of a missing child!! However, are Ofsted seriously doubting our abilities by asking us to do the following:

1. Check gate - unlocked - what to do - er lock it?

2. Check plug sockets - cover missing - what to do? - er replace it?

3. Check fire door - not shut - what to do? anyone? oh yes shut it! Sure? Yes sure...shut it!

Dear oh dear, maybe Im not getting it, perhaps somewhere on a higher realm, inhabitated by the Words of Wisdom, they get it, but I dont and I shall continue ticking....cos I am in control in my setting......and the buck will rest with ME!

• Like 6

Dear oh dear, maybe Im not getting it, perhaps somewhere on a higher realm, inhabitated by the Words of Wisdom, they get it, but I dont and I shall continue ticking....cos I am in control in my setting......and the buck will rest with ME!

Hear,hear!!!

Actually I am sure it says that we can cut down on RA's when on outings etc as well. Too tired to dig out the relevant section but there is something in the revised EYFS about this.

Hear,hear!!!

Actually I am sure it says that we can cut down on RA's when on outings etc as well. Too tired to dig out the relevant section but there is something in the revised EYFS about this.

Funny thing is Lynned55 i would rather 'cover my back' with a RA on taking out a group of lively excited 3-4 yr olds for a walk around the local community, then complete endless, CoLs sefs, quality reviews, evaluations, action plans, restraint?? files, plans for planning.......etc etc anyday! At least with a small trip RA I know what Im doing! : )

Or do I ???

Edited by Rafa

At the end of the day this is guidance and yet someone else interpretation of the requirements

you should go with what is right and comfortable with you, after aall you could ring ofsted for guidance, i have recently and very helpful they were too :)