Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How any children per key person?

Hi all, quick question......

I am wondering how many key children do each of your staff have? We are a Pre School, ages range from 2- rising 5's. Some of our staff have 13 key children each, and are finding it quite hard juggling that many children each week. Any feedback greatly received x

Our FT staff go to 12 at busiest....but even that's hard being that it's busiest time so harder to give any more non-contact time. Have just given next school group their own drawers with their LJs in, they love putting their own work in, then key workers will get a small group together and they chose what will go in it or go home, they like hole punching and sticking their own photos and and any notes in, we find this does help and gets them involved in own LJs

• Like 2

I'm in a school Nursery and have 25 key children and my nursery nurse has 25 too - 12/13 per session, but as there's only 2 of us that's how it has to happen and it takes ages to keep their LJ up to date.

Yes, as above. My staff end up with a lot of key children each as we have so many part timers. So our Pre-school Room which has 26 children at a time ends up with about 60 on roll, if not more, so the four key people end up with about 15 plus each

At the most my staff have 8 - that is in Pre School. The younger groups have 5 or 6 and the baby room 4 each. I don't know how you all cope with 15/16+ !

I'm in a school Nursery and have 25 key children and my nursery nurse has 25 too - 12/13 per session, but as there's only 2 of us that's how it has to happen and it takes ages to keep their LJ up to date.

Does your TA get paid time to do them? I am in the same position and get no paid time whilst the teacher gets PPA.

Also, is her job description the same as all other TAs in the school? I am locked in a debate as mine is and I don't feel it's right!!

Thanks for your feedback.....do any of you get extra money for doing the learning journals at home? If so, how does that work, is it per folder?

I have 7 staff who key work for children (usually have been 10-15 children to keep LJs), they get at least 1.5 hours in setting time and are paid up to an hour at home depending on nos of children.

Does your TA get paid time to do them? I am in the same position and get no paid time whilst the teacher gets PPA.

Also, is her job description the same as all other TAs in the school? I am locked in a debate as mine is and I don't feel it's right!!

She has a different more detailed contract outlining her responsibilities as a nursery nurse (rather than a TA) and she's paid a different salary to our other TAs. She's employed to work till 4.30 every night, but she doesn't get ppa time, but I make sure she gets time to update them

Do you work 1:13? We do, so struggle for me to have any time in session times. I get half an hour to set up and halg an hour at the end of the day.

It would be fab if she were willing to inbox me her job description ( how cheeky am I? :rolleyes: ) I am banging my head on a brick wall at the moment to show that a L2 class TA isn't the same!!

I'll pm you a copy of her job description tomorrow :) and yes we're 1:13. I thought we had to have a L3, didn't think a TA L2 was good enough qualifications with such a high ration to deal with!

Thanks for your feedback.....do any of you get extra money for doing the learning journals at home? If so, how does that work, is it per folder?

No, Learning Journals stay on premises. I make sure I am over ratio for at least 2 sessions per week and we rotate LJ times.

• Like 1

Staff have up to 12 key children each which was a struggle in the past but we now use web/app based observation and assessment system and it's far quicker - no time spent cutting, sticking, printing printing photos or typing reports.

What do staff use to do all this on...do they all have their own laptops or tablets ? And are they all comfortable and competent using ict to do this ? How long do they get each week to do this ? ......sorry for all the q's, would really like to set something like this up but just unsure how it would work in practice.

What do staff use to do all this on...do they all have their own laptops or tablets ? And are they all comfortable and competent using ict to do this ? How long do they get each week to do this ? ......sorry for all the q's, would really like to set something like this up but just unsure how it would work in practice.

We have an ipod (and a second one arriving soon) which is used to take photos and do quick observation notes in the room during contact time. Then we have an ipad for staff to use during non contact in the office. Sometimes they update records at home on their own computer. They get one hour per week non contact and this is enough to assess all the observations and do simple individual planning in the form of next steps. They are not particularly amazing at ICT but it's very easy to learn and they all are happy to try new things.

• Like 1

Nothing is stored on individual pc or laptop - it's all online and password protected. Photos are not stored on the pc or laptop.

Photos are taken at work (obviously!) and used as required then I delete them regularly from the photo stream on all devices but most are taken within the app so they're not stored on the device at all.

Edited by anju

I would enjoy it, just dont have time. I am never super numeracy and find i have so much to do and feel that i would not do my best for my children, so glad you are more acomplished sunnyday - very jealous x

I would enjoy it, just dont have time. I am never super numeracy and find i have so much to do and feel that i would not do my best for my children, so glad you are more acomplished sunnyday - very jealous x

Bless you - I am quite sure that I am not.'more accomplished' than you! :1b

Like Sue- I have no keychildren. I used to but found I never got to spend time with them, relied on everyone else to feedback info to me and as for trying to do a LJ for them - well forget that!! I stopped around 5/6 years ago, I have one morning a week when I am out of ratio and rarely get done what I am supposed to be doing, if I had to contend with all the keyworking stuff as well!

My staff have 6 children each. To be honest those of you that do have more- I admire, for being able to keep up with them. They are paid for one hour per month and we have a rota set up so that for our last 30 minutes of session one of them is bale to go out of session and work on their paperwork etc for their children. Works out to around 3 times per fortnight they get this time. Depends on holidays and days worked. I would love to set up something like Anju has but i know I have only one staff member that would be confident enough to use it.

Edited by lynned55
  • Like 1