Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inset Training Days

We only get funded for 38 weeks of the school year provided those weeks are when we are open for the children so there is no inset day funding at all - inset days would have to be outside the funded weeks of term and not sure where we would find the additional funds to pay staff to attend them.

We only get funded for 38 weeks of the school year provided those weeks are when we are open for the children so there is no inset day funding at all - inset days would have to be outside the funded weeks of term and not sure where we would find the additional funds to pay staff to attend them.

Our LA states in contract that we should have three - one per term. (pre-school)

Interesting about the sessional issue. I would say a day is a day whether one or two sessions.

xxx

I questioned whether we could take training days and was told in no uncertain terms that no we couldn't and it was a myth that anyone thought they could use days during funded weeks as training days in our county :(. Just one day a year would be good.

Yep, its back to that Hymn Sheet again isn't it!!!!!! Obviously different counties have different budgets, however we are all supposed to be delivering the same Eyfs and all that entails so it seems fair we have the same opportunities to access all training and time to...and I love this......cascade it!! Yeah right.....generally done over the mop and buckets as we rush to clear the building!! : )

No disrespect but I feel lots of important issues were missed from the Tickell review......TIME being one novel initiative no one has thought of??

• Like 2

I questioned whether we could take training days and was told in no uncertain terms that no we couldn't and it was a myth that anyone thought they could use days during funded weeks as training days in our county :(. Just one day a year would be good.

That's awful :(

Are you expected to do a certain amount of training/CPD ? We are, so these three days allow us to do in house training as well as cascade other courses etc.

We are the same as mouse63. we have to do 24 hurs training each year but not in funded sessions time!!! which means we have t pay staff for extra hours if they do training in their own time. We have asked if we can be paid for inset days but were told NO!!!

Hi

I've just checked the essex early years contract-Provider can have max 3 inset training days (ie one per term). Staff training must be held outside of these times incl if the offer is spread over 50weeks. where the offer is spread over 50 weeks and the training requires the provision to close to children the provider may exceptionally close one day per term for training purposes.

there you have it!! :((

Ooh that's a good point about nursery schools closing for training/Inset days. I think like schools they are funded for 39 weeks minus the 5 days so its 38 weeks. Whereas we only get the 38 weeks funding. I am going to query this with my LEA.

• Like 1

We have three a year - one per term and this is allowed in our NEG contract too - and they are really useful especially for team updates like manual handling and safeguarding as I know all the team have updated at the same time when it's done this way and it helps my training budget. :1b

Let us know how you get on anju.

That's a good point fredbear...children do get free time when in for things like nativity, sports morning....did wonder whether poss to slot children in on one day into another through the week to free up a day for training, sure 99% of parents would be ok with this but you get that other 1% that wouldn't agree to swapping a day, we recently have a few asking to change days if going on holidays or just fancying a day out really....how do others deal with this ? Do you allow it ? or like us it has been a no, registers must be a right mess.

We are quite firm with our free entitlement families , and point out that if the child was in school a) They would be heartily discouraged from taking time off for holidays etc, and B) they wouldn't be able to swap days anyway ! So it's a no for swapping for holidays - but for 'emergency' situations where a child misses due to family maybe having to go look after a sick relative we offer the sessions back during the holidays when we are quieter ( advantage of being open all year) Our paying parents get a holiday allowance anyway so it doesn't arise with them. I stagger the INSET days so they don't impact on the same children every session, and make parents aware that the day will not be reimbursed. If they get a bit difficult I just remind them it won't happen in school.