Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs & Learning Journals

This may seem a silly question but was wondering how we use the development matters sheets?

It is my understanding that each member of staff has their own copy to refer to not each folder has a copy to be highlighted!

I'm confusing myself but need to have it clear in my head for staff meeting....any help please

It looks, from reading all the various posts, that there are going to be lots of different ways of using them, but the general consensus seems to be that highlighting and tick lists are not the way forward.

I suppose you need to just find a way that works for you, that enables you to record children's learning and progress in the best possible way.

hmmm, how do you assess and record each child's level without highlighting? we will be required to show each child's progress at the end of the year, so need some kind of baseline assessment. we are working blind as we still don't know what will be required in the way of assessment at the end of the year....

No highlighting copies of DM statements for us....

We've gradualy moved away from this method since the introduction of the EYFS in '08. Totally free of them now :D

I found the trouble with the highlighted sheet method was that staff stopped using the guidance book - which I think is a fantastic resource- and just used the listed development matter statements as a stand alone document which then = a checklist.

Staff do summary sheets of best fit age bands.

xx

so has the process of checking a child can do a cetain DM three times and then highlighing it gone through the window? i am confused as well now lol!

We have never done that. In fact we have never been told to do that by anyone?

that is correct.chn need to be seen to be doing things consistently.

Guest cathy m

I have never highlighted the DMV statements, in my opinion it doesn't let parents know what activities and experiences children have enjoyed. I'm a childminder and have always done photo observations and summative progress reports for parents. Last year a child I cared for finished at a preschool in July and parents received highlighted sheets, the parent actually said how they didn't tell her anything about her child enjoying activities or how her learning and development had been assessed.

At a local authority revised EYFS session I attended a few weeks ago they actually said no need to see it 3 times however back in 2008 they had told providers to do just that!

We've been told we have to record on DM as well as doing the learning journeys with all obs in as bloody evidence anyhow and quarterly observation summaries?! I'm confused....it would be much easier if you just chose best fit from the observations you've made and your knowledge of the child!!

We have never done that. In fact we have never been told to do that by anyone?

I might suggest you don't have your setting in Kent then. This has been our practice for a very long time. As said above, it had to do with showing that a child was consistent in their understanding of that DM statement before we really moved them on to the next age band, in practice if you have a lot of key children that could be tricky to do!

Our Learning Journey folders, had a written observation, plus photo if we are on the ball and beside it we would also have to write which area of learning and which DM the observation and/or photo related to. Then record the date the observation was made on an observation grid, when we had 3 good observations and felt that the learning was embedded for that DM we would then be looking to moving the child up an age band and the DM's associated with that.

For EYFS 2012, I have made up booklets for each child with all the DM statements in and we will be numbering and dating our observational evidence and also writing this number against the DM statement it refers to in the booklet, this should cut down on the repetitive nature of having to write out the area of learning and DM statement against observations and keep the information in one place for an over all view. We will then be recording summative assessments from that info gathered.

In Kent we have a reporting system to parents called My Unique Story. When we report on an area of learning, we also give an example from an observation which would support our assessment.

Edited by Panders
  • Like 1

It was also ours until the next LEA came along and said why are you checking the statements three times...........Erm because the last person doing your job told us to :angry: Someone give us an answer pwease!!

In Kent we have a reporting system to parents called My Unique Story. When we report on an area of learning, we also give an example from an observation which would support our assessment.

I like this idea Panders :1b

Isn't it odd how much more reports and feedback we give to EY's parents. My G/D has just started Y9 of high school and the first my daughter will get to meet her teacher or see any written report on her will be next March!!

As a parent of 4 children all I ever wanted to know when they were preschoolers was that they were happy there (they were) making friends (they did) and enjoyed themselves (they did) I really didn't need endless pieces of observations and written reports on them to tell me that they were thriving. I would much rather the staff played with them then wrote about them!! But then, what do I know :D

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have just had an updated training (in Essex) due to the revised framework and they confirmed that we do not need to see things 3 times, apparently this is an urban myth! I would beg to differ as we had a different message on moderation but am happy if this is good practice from now on.

They also said that we do not need to highlight that they are looking for a 'best fit' of the age band and whether the children are emerging/ expected/ exceeded in the age band at the end of Reception. As we are a school we will be able to report termly progress using target tracker- which has been updated for the framework revision, but I will also use learning journeys and look at the DMs to support my judgement but will not highlight.

There is also a big push on parents and children being involved in creating and using learning journeys, with additions from both parents and children.

I hope this is useful! The changes seem positive as far as I can see. :1b

I have just had an updated training (in Essex) due to the revised framework and they confirmed that we do not need to see things 3 times, apparently this is an urban myth! I would beg to differ as we had a different message on moderation but am happy if this is good practice from now on.

They also said that we do not need to highlight that they are looking for a 'best fit' of the age band and whether the children are emerging/ expected/ exceeded in the age band at the end of Reception. As we are a school we will be able to report termly progress using target tracker- which has been updated for the framework revision, but I will also use learning journeys and look at the DMs to support my judgement but will not highlight.

There is also a big push on parents and children being involved in creating and using learning journeys, with additions from both parents and children.

I hope this is useful! The changes seem positive as far as I can see. :1b

Very useful - thank you - and a very warm welcome to the forum :1b

Thanks for the info. I am also in Essex in a school. Our whole school assessment document is basically development matters with the national curriculum level descriptors made into statements following on from 40-60+m so we will continue to highlight as a snapshot of where they are. For us this has never been about it being a tick list of things each child must do and we have always tended to look at the wider picture and get a best fit but I do feel that as part of a school we do need to fit in with the school assessment methods and so my highlighters will still be in use!

As far as getting parents involved we have integrated our Wow wall into our observation journals. Parents fill in wow moments slips which are displayed on the wall. They are then transferred into observation journals along with our own observations to ensure that parents have had the opportunity to input into the assessments. Children are taking greater ownership of their learning journeys selecting pieces to put in them with their key person and we may encourage parents to bring in bits and pieces they have done at home if they want to (whilst being aware that we can be less sure of the context of items brought in from home!)

Looking forward to seeing what message we get from the Learning Community meeting next week.

Mel

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)