Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Just A Little Tweaking...

Bumped into an area eyfs trainer yest who asked me if I was 'enjoying the break', I replied "ok apart from changing all the paperwork"........."what paperwork ?" she asked, so I tell her all the usual and being prepared for revised eyfs particularly....."oh that only needed a little tweaking" was the reply !!!!

So apart from new registers, staff rotas, grouping sheets, funding estimates, key group lists, birthday board, name badges, file all paperwork of those now moved on, fees invoices, ensuring risk assessment forms, accident forms, medication forms are all restocked and changes to policies and prospectus' as necessary, organising the sept Agm as no one on the committee thinks this is important ......

now onto 'tweaking' revised eyfs AGAIN.....cp sheets, learning journeys, planning formats, observation sheets (where everything was 6 nice neat boxes, now you have to make room for 7 !! Who the hell thought 7 was a good idea in the first place ?) and not to forget the parents guide and 2year checks as well as preparing staff for all this...arghhhhhhh........but did I tell her all this, no I just stood there dumbstruck and said 'yes I'm enjoying the break' the same thing I say when every other person in our town asks if I'm enjoying the break'

Sorry, rant over......back to more 'tweaking', running up a few water play aprons and I really must go and tidy the garden befor next week as its amazing how quickly weeds grow without 30 little pairs of feet trampling all over it :)

• Like 9

I understand exactly how you feel! I too have been doing lots of tweaking here and there but since finishing for my 'summer break' I have had a horrible horrible time. My friend, that I was due to meet for lunch died suddenly whilst on holiday - just awful, she was ten years younger than me. Due to dying abroad there was a three week delay before the funeral could be held. I also woke up with a swollen knee for no apparent reason but it resulted in me having surgery to remove part of my cartilage, I am back today to have the stitches out. All in all it's been a horrible 'break' but I know when I go back to work and parents say 'did you enjoy your well deserved break' I will smile and say 'yes thank you'.... my rant over too!

• Like 3

my little tweaks became an overhaul too but it's definitely going to be a lot less work for me in the future - so glad I did it.

I understand exactly how you feel! I too have been doing lots of tweaking here and there but since finishing for my 'summer break' I have had a horrible horrible time. My friend, that I was due to meet for lunch died suddenly whilst on holiday - just awful, she was ten years younger than me. Due to dying abroad there was a three week delay before the funeral could be held. I also woke up with a swollen knee for no apparent reason but it resulted in me having surgery to remove part of my cartilage, I am back today to have the stitches out. All in all it's been a horrible 'break' but I know when I go back to work and parents say 'did you enjoy your well deserved break' I will smile and say 'yes thank you'.... my rant over too!

Oh gosh = so sorry Gezabel............

how did an equals sign get in there!

Edited by sunnyday
  • Like 1

Thanks sunnyday ...and even when not doing the actual 'tweaking', it's also the endless hours of thinking about how you're going to 'tweak' things.

Oh yes - sometimes I spend so much time 'thinking' that I get nothing actually 'done'!

• Like 5

Last summer break was the first one before I became the Manager of the setting. So I spent most of six weeks painting, role playing as a pickford man as I move whole setting around and spent hours at the computer trying to make sense of the mountain of paperwork not filed or not up to date. My children spent most of 6 weeks hols at setting with me and I promised at time that next year would be different as I would have put my mark on setting and paperwork would be up to date. Fast forward to this year and I have spent most of 6 weeks trying to make sense of new EYFS and changes to paperwork. Remember attending LA meeting for all childcare workers in May where they reassured us that there wasn't a lot that needed doing to your setting to make it ready for the new EYFS. THEY LIED!!! I don't get paid for 6 weeks hols. Have been logging my hours spent on getting ready for Sept so far over 30 hours! Think I will be asking Committee at next meeting to pay my for the hours I have worked. But most importantly will need to make sure that next 6 weeks hols I give my kids my full attention. Still no nearer to finishing my to do list. Can I just shout Bl**** Hell as feeling very stressed at moment.

Gezabel, sorry to hear about your knee. I had a similar op this time last year---dont underestimate how difficult that might make things for your return to work. It took at least 3 months for my knee to back to normal even though I thought I was ok at the same stage you are.

Sorry to hear about your friend too. Take care.

Oh I hear you mouse63! my EYA said similiar "it's just minor changes" well as you say it has so far been an entire overhaul!! Have spent most of the 6 weeks adjusting everything/redesigning. I do like the look of the new EYFS and once in place can see it's good points but I don't think they realise that to get to that point takes a heck of a lot of work and when they give you a couple of months until it becomes compulsary which is over the summer you don't get a lot of option!..... grumble grumble.....

Last summer break was the first one before I became the Manager of the setting. So I spent most of six weeks painting, role playing as a pickford man as I move whole setting around and spent hours at the computer trying to make sense of the mountain of paperwork not filed or not up to date. My children spent most of 6 weeks hols at setting with me and I promised at time that next year would be different as I would have put my mark on setting and paperwork would be up to date. Fast forward to this year and I have spent most of 6 weeks trying to make sense of new EYFS and changes to paperwork. Remember attending LA meeting for all childcare workers in May where they reassured us that there wasn't a lot that needed doing to your setting to make it ready for the new EYFS. THEY LIED!!! I don't get paid for 6 weeks hols. Have been logging my hours spent on getting ready for Sept so far over 30 hours! Think I will be asking Committee at next meeting to pay my for the hours I have worked. But most importantly will need to make sure that next 6 weeks hols I give my kids my full attention. Still no nearer to finishing my to do list. Can I just shout Bl**** Hell as feeling very stressed at moment.

You can definitely shout 'Bl**** H*** - I have - several times! :ph34r:xD

One of my sons is getting married tomorrow - so I'm thinking - a lovely weekend away - no thoughts of Early years at all - but in truth I know that i will be looking at the table 'decs' and thinking - right I need to save those party favour boxes, pretty ribbons etc. etc. :ph34r:xD :lol: xD :lol: xD

• Like 7

So it's not just me who is forever picking things up in shops, friend houses etc just in case I need them one day. Husband forever picking up bags with objects for work in saying "What the beeping hell is this now" Last year he found my 100 cardboard tubes for when we did pirates and my 70 yeo valley oval yog pots for my Xmas bells under the stairs that I had hid from him. Look on his face was priceless when he was pulling out bags & bags of stuff when he was looking for his footy kit. I had to hide upstairs due to laughing too much

Edited by Miacat3
  • Like 7

I have a small house as there's only me but occasionally I have thought about getting one with an extra bedroom - purely so I can have somewhere to put all my work stuff and collections of cardboard tubes, yogurt pots etc!

• Like 2

Wow! You all sound like you are having fun.

Mouse I know exactly what you mean. As manager I would like to know what the word "break" means.

My husband (business partner) decided to do some (necessary) maintenance on our office which should have taken 2 weeks, but you guessed it has taken 5 weeks. So ontop of paper work there is the moving of furntiure.

But on the positive, I have to say that the revision of the EYFS has given me the opportunity to review the planning , to take out bits that I don't like and really reflect on why I plan. And I have a fantastic office to hide in when the planning goes wrong!

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

I've laughed every time i've opened up the 'Overall reforms' page - the first part says

The reformed EYFS, effective from September 2012, takes forward the Government’s changes to the 2008 framework as recommended by the 2011 Tickell Review. The reforms will:

reduce paperwork and bureaucracy;

LIES!!!! <_< is all I can say - and yes a few things have just been 'tweaked' but others haven't and the time for 'tweaks' often is just as much as writing the da*n thing from scratch! :o

Sigh - I remember the days we went to work and just 'played' - the children seemed just as capable then(and have done very well in their exams) as they are now - but alas why have trees if you can't chop 'em down to make paper for us to waste!!

at least this time round i feel slightly better that money hasn't been as wasted (government) on fabulous looking packs/files/printing etc -

quote: Sigh - I remember the days we went to work and just 'played' - the children seemed just as capable then(and have done very well in their exams) as they are now - but alas why have trees if you can't chop 'em down to make paper for us to waste!!

me too gingerbread man, i remember when i started only having to worry about what was going on the messy table (not creative table or expressive arts and design table, just the messy table) and making sure 26 sets of this or that were cut out as we were all making the same, and we would decide when we went out to play or came in....and ok a lot of changes are for the better but the children who went through that phase in their early years still turned out as really lovely, well grounded, bright, sociable young adults....and believe me i know as they're bringing their own children now :D

• Like 4

Our Lea support team are lovely but I sometimes think they have been out of the day to day things for so long they have forgot how long it takes. In some cases they have never had to manage a setting.

Like all of you I have spent the summer making changes, updating polices etc. Planning to take the weekend off before going back Monday.

Edited by Guest

Gezabel so sorry to hear about your friend. Its been a mass of tweaking that I thought was nearly done until we went in for a safeguarding training this week....policy needs a lot of updating if we are aiming towards outstanding(who isnt) we have all the important stuff but just need to reference it more and add the fine, fine details. Also means updating safeguarding folder!! Still got my SEF to do... :o Holiday? its passed me by!!!

Did I mention the 'box' that have bought for their cards........mmmmm..........looks like a 'pirates treasure chest' to me! :1b (well it will do once i get my hands on it!)

Stop it stop it sunnyday , few wines will stop u thinking early years

So sorry to hear about your dear friend Gezabel, hoping your knees better soon too. Sunnyday wishing you a fabulous son's wedding tomorrow and to all our fellow EYFS colleagues enjoy what summer there is left. I don't feel like I have had a break at all but hey ho.:)

• Like 1

So it's not just me who is forever picking things up in shops, friend houses etc just in case I need them one day. Husband forever picking up bags with objects for work in saying "What the beeping hell is this now" Last year he found my 100 cardboard tubes for when we did pirates and my 70 yeo valley oval yog pots for my Xmas bells under the stairs that I had hid from him. Look on his face was priceless when he was pulling out bags & bags of stuff when he was looking for his footy kit. I had to hide upstairs due to laughing too much

yeah your post made me laugh its like that in my house I will never forget though when my son found the 'ice hands' in the freezer while he was looking for fish fingers haha 'MOTHER - now you have finally lost it what the ..........!!'

• Like 3

Other half has just said we should invoice the government for all the recycled resources we "obtain" in our own time. If you included obtaining, cleaning and transporting we'd make a fortune, never mind the actual cost of the materials. . . Just look at how much you can pay for a bag of shells in a bathroom shop compared to when we gather it ourselves when "relaxing" on the beach...

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)