Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do You Tweet?

I'm not really au fait with this twittering business... but I wondered if it would be a good way to communicate with parents.

Just basic general things... comments... like "we really enjoyed playing in our pretend rock pool today! some of us got a bit wet so please check your child's bag for and damp clothes!"

or " Wow... look at our brilliant splatter paintings" (with a picture... no children!)

Does anybody use twitter in this way... are there pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thank-you...in anticipation!

Don't tweet but its something to think about, I use facebook and find its a really relevant way to maintain contact with some parents but like all these things its making sure I find the time to keep it updated, once you start these things it has to be kept current and time is not one of those things I have an abundance of. Would be interested to see how it wokrs out if you try it though.

PS your chocolate strawberry makes me feel hungry evertime I see it, bit cruel methinks Strawberrytwirl.

Edited by max321

I tweet on a personal level and love doing it. One of our local schools tweets when the children are on trips ie "we have arrived" "we are eating icecream" and I know the parents appreciate it. The DFE and PLA also tweet and its useful to keep up to date with things.

We have a text messaging service, which provides the same kind of information you are talking about in a much safer context. :) The parents love it (on the whole) because texts can come quick and fast some days....... (at least they they feel wanted :P)

It does cost the school (I think) but at least you know the majority of parents will have mobiles, not all will be in the world of tweeting :)

We dont 'tweet' but we do have a facebook page which we write on after every session to say what we have been doing. We also add photographs (with faces blanked out) for parents to see. Our parents and grandparents really welcome this, especially as we have so many working dad's so they like to see what their child has been up to

I've just found twitter. It's been invaluable while the Limpics have been on - could keep up with what was on next. I digress. I was thinking that instead of just using my facebook page to notify parents of the sorts of things you've mentioned, that I should use a webpage, and tweet and facebook from that platform. I think updates during the day should really be important so I would text those, but general issues and celebrations would be viable this way.

Different sorts of people use Twitter than Facebook. Using lots of different formats includes lots of different people.

Viva la difference

Honey

• Like 1

I have just set up a fb page for parents/careers only to join, was wondering about adding photos but unsure if faces would need blanking out if the only people who could see them could come into setting and see them anyway.... I guess I could get another parent agreement to add them, how does anyone else go about this ?

Our facebook page is open because a lot of our parents/grandparents don't have a personal facebook account so they wouldn't be able to join. We ask for permission on the registration forms if we can use photo's. It doesn't state that faces will be blanked out but I do this as an added bit of security. Parents know who is there child from what they are wearing and have also said they like the fact I blanked the faces out.

Well we now have our own personal network which is much like FB and Twitter in 1.. woooooo (i know, it sounds impressive!!) but it's basically just a Ning powered private social network just for staff and parents to utilise. It is being tested with just 3 parents at the moment, and yes it is time consuming, but they love it. Daily/weekly pictures are added of each child (no need to blank out as each child's page is set to private) and lots of other interesting things can be done there. Blogs, games, apps, comments, chat to other people logged in... yes basically just like facebook!! But it's OURS!! haha

Wow does sound impressive, I just feel that some of the best pics are where the children are with other children, I know posting them on fb would potentially allow parents to put them on own pc but they could do that from website anyway, I have 2 personal fb accounts 1 friended to setting one and 1 not so I know that anyone who isn't,t friended can't see anything, but think I will hold off adding pics until a letter and yet another permission slip has gone out :/

I love this thread I understand vrtually nothing I dont even text .My grandson put me on FB I have to ring him for instructions if I want to do something hes 12 and very patient.

• 2 weeks later...

• I use twitter personally and think its great. I could see it being good for school to give information about what weve been gettin up to. Do schools who tweet then get lots of parents asking Q/making comments and expecting replies? ~ that could be hard work.