Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Exchange Of Profiles From Another Setting.

I have just had a child come to me from another nursery in our village. She is 19mths old.The parents work every day and have brought her to me as i can offer 5 days and the other setting can only offer 3 days. The parents gave two months notice and said she was coming to me.They were not happy. The other nursery will not give the parents her profile or any documentation(transition forms) as they say they only do this for schools and not another nursery. I thought with Ofsted rules that the profiles and any education/development paperwork should go with the child... Where ever they go.

Am i correct?????

Occasionally in the past we have had similiar situations - the way round it I find is to get the parent to request the documentation, as legally they have that right, and then pass on to you. If a setting refuses to hand over paperwork the mention of a phonecall to Ofsted, from the parent is often enough to make them rethink . It might be that they are worried you will 'steal' thier ideas or it could be that there is no paperwork depending on how long the child has been there and they are embarrassed ? I suggest it's not a good idea getting into settings debating this between each other especially if you work in the same neighbourhood as it can get awkward !

If they aren't sharing it with you its probably not worth having :) just smile and start afresh as if she's just entered your setting from home and let the parents give you all the information they have

I would do as Jules suggested and start from the beginning .. but...

the parents can however request any paperwork and information they have on their child as they are legally entitled to it or a copy of it... if they want it they should submit a written request... it is how our son got all the information we needed from the hospitals on his medical file.. legally they can ask for a payment for duplicating it is this is the way they go.. but sending the originals would not normally incur any cost..

.it is really the parents who have to ask as it is relating to their child... they are within their rights not to release it to another third party without written permission.. gets complicated ..

.I think the information sharing in EYFS is slightly different.. they will not be attending 2 settings which is what this is designed for rather than moving..

( and they are probably miffed at losing the income.. )

thankyou everyone. I thought i was right.

Redjayne.....i think you've hit the nail on the head. This is awkward but it really shouldnt be. Everyone and all settings should put the childs development first, and not worry about stealing any info.