Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Extra Sessions?

Because we have a staggered start in september and the local school only does half days for 3 weeks we have been approached by a couple of parents to see if we will have their children in the afternoons (after their morning at school) ....does anyone do this now? have you had any issues i might not have thought of? the children involved are great and will be able to cope with the change (in fact they'll love it!) I quite like the idea that we will have some with more experience in that group and it would be a bit of extra revenue, as well as helping these families out....any thoughts???

I have at least 3 or 4 do this every September for exactly the same reasons as you. So far it has never caused any problems and they are usually really helpful when showing the newbies the ropes. It has certainly helped some of my working parents in the past and I do look forward to having a bit of xtra time with some of them. I am only registered to the age of 5 so just have to make sure that none of them are Sept birthday but apart from that I would say go for it.

I do it too, parents really like the fact that their children can come back to somewhere they know really well, and the children love 'showing off' their uniforms etc. It does also provide an extra bit of revenue. Our school heavily promotes the village after school club, so it's particularly nice that parents ignore this and still choose us.

Max, just ask Ofsted to change the registration. i am registered for up to 8 year olds ( I never get anyone over age 6 tbh, but it was done to help out a particular family originally) and it took a quick phone call to the 'O' people and a follow up letter to sort it,

Edited by narnia

sounds and interesting idea, we have had our big leavers celebration on thier last day tho...so how would that work ?, 'you are leaving, but coming back for 3 weeks is Sept ?' :D

also, would we still need to observe these children, carry on learning journeys etc for the extra time they are with us ?

i like the idea tho, its something we havent thought of before... ( and we could do with the extra income tbh)

Yes we do it too but don't carry on Learning Journeys. These are passed to the schools before the end of term then the school give them back to parents when they have finished with them. We've never had any problems with children coming back for that short time.

Beehive

We've done it too, but not been asked for it this year, as thankfully our main school has finally listened to my argument that tese children have been in full time with us for the last year, and quite honestly it's more unsettling to change that! So for the first time, they are in full time straight away! Woo hoo!

The children who aren't going to our village school aren't so fortunate, they are mornings only intake, which is annoying for the parents who work! But it's not easy to get them over to us either in the middle of the day!

Do parents pay for their hours or can you claim funding? I think it would be a bit disruptive for the new intake as there would be such an age gap between the nearly 5s and the new 2 year olds. We always emphasise at the new childrens' visits in the summer term that all the big children won't be around and it will be nice and quiet when your little ones start........ this year I think we could have potentially been asked to take a few back as the school, for the first time ever, have decided to start the new YRs a week later than the rest of the school so that they can settle in the y1s (its a mixed YR and Y1 class). That's in addition to the half days they will be doing anyway for 2 or 3 weeks!!!

sounds and interesting idea, we have had our big leavers celebration on thier last day tho...so how would that work ?, 'you are leaving, but coming back for 3 weeks is Sept ?' :D also, would we still need to observe these children, carry on learning journeys etc for the extra time they are with us ? i like the idea tho, its something we havent thought of before... ( and we could do with the extra income tbh)

we are having our big leavers party today but we don't close for another 3 weeks, isn't a problem, the chidlren just take it all in their stride.

we are a mixed 2 - rising 5 group anyway so are used to having a big age gap between our eldest and youngest children, so doesn't cause a problem

Our parents have to pay full fees as their funding goes into school

Edited by max321

fantastic ...thanks for the replies. I think we'll go for it and see if i can get a few to do it. The school doesn't break up till Mondayso i'll try and get the message out. Potentially I thought i'd give a bit of a discount and say £50 per week so that'll be £150 extra from these children which will go towards some new bits and bobs. Glad to hear so many of you do it...hadn't thought about it before :blink: as to age groups we have some 3 year olds with us anyway...not much difference between my old 3 year olds and my young 4 year olds so should be fine.

Hi I don't see any reason why you can't. I know of other settings that do and parents are really grateful. We are fortunate to be full up so would be unable to offer this service this time. Do let us know how it goes if you do decide to do it.:)

We have done this for about five years now - and always get a good take-up , the parents like the fact the children are still with us and it is familiar , we also do drop offs and pick ups from the local schools as the children are on staggered half day starts and some parents struggle to get time off work in middle of the day, and the extra revenue is very helpful at the beginning of term when we are still building up. :1b

• Like 1

That's interesting, I thought as of sept 2011 all schools had to offer full time and it was then the parents choice if they only wanted part time, I know our main feeder school tried to convince parents of the benefits of part time to begin with but they weren't buying it.

I think it's a really good idea to offer the extra sessions for working parents :)

On the subject of half days, I know lots of parents don't like them as the children have often been doing a full day at pre-school, but I know it is soooo much better that the children do half days for a week or 2. Starting at school is exhausting mentally as well as physically, so many new things to do and take in. This year I'm seeing it from 3 points of view - as a deputy at pre-school, as a reception teacher (1 day a week) and as mummy as my daughter starts school. As a teacher it is so much better, you get to know the children and parents really quickly. As a mummy... well it breaks me in gently to not having her with me at pre-school ,going to miss her :(

Edited by laura
  • Like 1

'From September 2011 all primary schools must offer children a full-time place at the start of the September term. However, legally children do not have to be in full-time education until the term after their 5th birthday. Delaying your child's entry into school is called 'deferred entry'. You can request this, but your child must start before the end of the school year during which they turn 5.'

This is what is confusing about why some parents are still trying to find afternoon care in nursery or preschool ? If they want them somewhere all day they should be able to stay in school.

qu

'From September 2011 all primary schools must offer children a full-time place at the start of the September term. However, legally children do not have to be in full-time education until the term after their 5th birthday. Delaying your child's entry into school is called 'deferred entry'. You can request this, but your child must start before the end of the school year during which they turn 5.'

where is your quote from? somerset have obviously not read that

If you google 'must schools offer full time places from September' there are quite a few councils come up with same/similar statement.

Not checked any Somerset schools though.

www.devon.gov.uk/sop_guidance062010.pdf (pg3 explains)

Edited by mouse63

have googled and someset are obviously doing their own thing

To help children settle smoothly into school, some schools operate different start dates for children entering reception classes. This is known as "Phased or Staggered Entry". All children should start school within the first ten days of term, but may attend on a part time basis until the autumn half term. After the fourth week of term the school will provide a minimum average of 2.5 hours per day. In exceptional circumstances - for children not of statutory school age - this minimum level of attendance may continue and the LA will consult with parents/carers, health visitors and other professionals to accommodate children for whom continued part-time school attendance may be beneficial.

We have been doing this for many years, it used to be up to October half term for "older" children and up to Christimas for "yonnger" children in the year group. Now it is for the first two full weeks when they start in September. The only little problems (headaches) it gives us is having staff going back and forth to school in the middle of the day as morning children need picking at at 11.30 and afternoon children need dropping off at 12.55 and the constant changing into and out of school clothes. But it is income not to be sneezed at, making some way towards the loss of income in the usually quieter first term for us. :1b