Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nurseries' Low Funding And Pay Crisis

Steve

I read a similar report on the BBC site. It strikes me that 1 in 4 making a loss is pretty good from where I'm standing I thought it would be a lot worse. Depressing thought :huh:

That's an interesting read, thank you. Some of the comments below really made me chuckle, the responses to someone complaining that their taxes were being used to fund childcare. I do wonder where the figures have come from though.

Quite an interesting article and it comes as no surprise that 1 in 4 childcare establishments are making a loss - like Rea says I thought it might be more but then perhaps it is only 1 in 4 because we daren't pay our staff and ourselves what we are really worth!!!!

At the moment I am waiting replies from Ministers of State for Education and Work and Pensions as to how I am meant to pay 3% pension contributions - when this rolls in I wonder if it won't be 4 in 4 making a loss !!

The new funding guidance for local authorities says "Local authorities should:

4.1 Ensure that their EYSFF is clear, simple and transparent, and in particular that:

§ the number of base rates is kept to a minimum;

§ any supplements are understood by providers and help drive positive outcomes for children;

§ rates are based, as far as is practicable, on a clear understanding of provider costs in the area.

Perhaps we should be having conversations with our local authorities en masse and asking them to demonstrate how they have come to have a clear understanding of their areas' providers costs!

All the info comes from a DFE research report DFE-RR213 "Childcare Provider Finances Survey"

Found it las week and I am still ploughing through it.

Interestingly on page 52 it refers to there being 'an additional 458,000 children aged 0-10 between 2012 and 2020' and there having to be 'an upward pressure on fees in the future' so maybe they might have to do something through taxes - but will they pay us the going rate or will we still be the poor relation as now?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)