Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mangers Being A Keyworker Too

Hi all

Wonder if I could just ask how many managers/playleaders are keyworkers too? and do you work on having the same amount of keychildren as your other staff on top of other responsibilities or do you have less?

In my setting before I was manager the playleader/manager did not have keywork children, they were running things everyday and didn't feel they had the time for files on top (that was when they were simply I Can files) :(

When I took over I already had keychildren and wanted to keep these on at least until school, particularly as I was the SENCO at the time and all my children had SEN considerations and would not have adjusted to the change of keyworker so well.

I have just finished three years at uni and another course on top, so I did step away from keywork children for the last two years as I was struggling with all the paperwork. :ph34r: However I still do observations and record things for the other girls during session time and we have regular meetings about children, where they are going, planning for individual requirements etc... so have kept my hand in so to speak (as well as keeping an eye on the quality of files).

This September will be the first time I need to decide do I go back to keywork like I used to or do I follow what the managers did before and not have keywork children. :huh: I do have concerns about the amount of children the other girls have about 10-12 in the summer term although we have an intake every term so about 4/5 in the autumn and slowly increases as each term starts then goes back down again next autumn.

Wondered what everybody else does?? :huh:

Guest babyjane31

as the manager of a committee run pre-school I don't have any key children, the reason for this is I am office based so unfortunately get limited time with the children. This does mean that each of my 5 staff will be starting the year with 14 key children each which i am not happy with but it would be unfair on any childrern that i had to have me as keyperson as i am, simple not in the room enough.

i somehow manage to do both roles! (if it possible for you i wouldn't recommend it)

Somedays i dont know what to do first :blink: :blink: but the children have to come first so i often have to catch up on admin after hours or at the weekend!! :( :(

On top of all that i have the most kids in my key group (12)! I run the busiest room in the setting :huh: i am also finding this year that after breaking down my admin role i can keep on top of it better and my planning is beginning take shape and is more varied

Most days i enjoy doing both roles and it is certainly a job that i have grown in to!!! and i have perfected the art of delegation this year B)

Edited by Sox

I am manager of my own pre-school i.e. not committee.....and yes I have Key Children.........we are a very small group - we each have 8 KC......

I wouldn't want it any other way - but I can imagine that with a larger setting it maybe much more difficult

Guest babyjane31

feeling very lucky now!!! I did really put my foot down about not taking any work home which is how i ended up being office based full time, even now i do still have to take the odd thing home! Being strict on keeping a good home/work balance was the only way i could manage being a manager and all that goes with it as i have 3 young children of my own and run a volunteer sports club for about 120 children in our village

I am the manager and SENCO and also a keyperson, however, all our children have 2 keypersons (people!).

This ensures that if a member of staff is away there is still another person for the child and to talk to parents/carers.

This works well for us.

Joanne

How can you afford to be office based? I don't really envy you as I prefer to be with the children.... but I know what you mean about having keychildren on top of everything else. I have 9 at the moment, no other option as we are only a team of 4 staff, but it is a struggle, as it is for the others as we don't get any "quiet" time in the day to do paperwork.....(I am Senco too)

Jo

I am jealous of your 12-14 key groups!

We currently have 75 children split between 4 of us. I currently have 25 of those children, as well as being the Senco and doing all my deputy jobs!

Hi everyone

thank you so much for your replies! :D

I just can't quite decide what to do for the best for me, the children and the setting. We are a committee run pack-away setting. Most of the paperwork is done at home , as we are not paid for cover or given the time to do it on site! We have a special home to work policy to cover the security/safeguarding/confidentiality side of things. We do get paid about half an hour every month for each key work child but we had to fight for that as we are charity run and there is never any money :(

I love both roles and I do spend lots of time with the children but I tend to have to be there for all the children as the person that runs the sessions so if I had a child who needed lots of attention that might not work! :huh: I know the staff would like me to go back to having some keychildren because they then would have less, but then they don't have the admin side that I do! I have one session that is non contact but it is never long enough and therefore lots gets done at weekend or evening as it is, so key work on top would mean find more time that would take me away from my own children and family, who to be honest have been a little marginalized with the uni course as is! :ph34r:

We are a large setting at the moment about 46 on role!!

We currently have 75 children split between 4 of us. I currently have 25 of those children, as well as being the Senco and doing all my deputy jobs!

oh my goodness how do you get it all done? I will have to tell my girls they moan at 10 lol

• Like 1

We are a committee run pack-away setting. Most of the paperwork is done at home , as we are not paid for cover or given the time to do it on site! We have a special home to work policy to cover the security/safeguarding/confidentiality side of things.

Hi Johanna1

I would love to see a copy of your home to work policy if that's not too cheeky. Would you be able to post it on here, or pm me about it? Many thanks

PS all our staff have key groups, regardless of other resonsibilities.

Edited by eyfs1966

I had to opt out of being a keyworker as the workload increased over the past few years but I still have a key role within the playroom, I take over when staff want to do observations or prepare resources, I am SENCO so spend time with particular children, I collate all the planning each week so spend time in the playroom discussing threads of interest with staff, I liaise between parents/other professionals and my staff and am currently 1:1 with a sen child 15hrs per week plus when I get really fed up with paperwork I pop into the playroom to play. I don't feel I miss out on not being a keyworker and am definetely more of a support for my staff by not being sidetracked by having my own keychildren taking priority. When the decision was made (and it took a lot of soul searching and budgeting) I worked closely with my supevisors to make sure that everyone was happy with the arrangement and for our small team (6) it has been a revelation as I am more able to concentrate on the wider picture and all staff have commented that they feel better supported as I am always available to organise spontaneous activities. The children know where I am and daily come and ask me to read a story or play a game so I feel that I am still in touch with the children so I would say, if you can do it then you should.

I am a TA in a maintained nursery and currently have 24 key children. My teacher has 23. I do all my obs etc but she has paid time to update the assessments etc. We both work on Learning Journeys when time allows. I would love to do all of my own assessments, but in a school nursery there seems to be an expectation that as the teacher has half a day a week for PPA time, she will do it. As we currently have 47 children, it's a bit like painting the Forth Bridge!!

Hi Johanna1

I would love to see a copy of your home to work policy if that's not too cheeky. Would you be able to post it on here, or pm me about it? Many thanks

PS all our staff have key groups, regardless of other resonsibilities.

of course you can if I can work out how to get it to you :ph34r:

• Like 1

Clare pleeeaaaase tell us HOW its done!?!? Plus if your ever looking for a new post...........tee hee : )

I am the owner / manager of my setting as well as the SENCO and CPO. I try to have one key child each school year so that I can make sure that all our "systems" are working properly and by doing so I can continue to reflect and review our Keyperson practice. However given that there is no paperwork in early years xD :lol: xD :lol: xD :lol: xD :lol: I I'm not sure I could manage with many more - this year I as SENCO I am administering 1 x Statement of Special Educational Needs, 2 x CAF Lead Professional and as CPO have termly CIN meetings. The is also the small matter of managing and running a small business and all that that entails. This is not a "sob story" - but this is indicative of how the role has changed over time - when I first started out I used to enjoy much more time with the children - some days I wonder what small children are as I poke my head above the paperwork piles. :rolleyes:

Guest babyjane31

wow it never ceases to amaze me how much our roles differ in early years and how much work everyone is prepared to take on unpaid. Our committee made the decision that they were unable to take on any of the tasks required to run the pre-school and as such employed me as a manager to do it all, they really are a committee in name only. With very careful budgeting i am able to staff the room over and above ratios whilst still affording me to be office based, all staff are also paid 2.5 hours meeting time a week (we close one afternoon a week so that we can all meet togther) and they are paid an additional 2 hours weekly non contact time. our fees are still competative and we are nearly always full. whilst i say on paper i am office based i do of course spend lots of time in the playroon from covering other staff to do extra obs, and their breaks to doing 1-1 work with sen children (I am also SENCO. I really don't know how I would be able to do the role i do and be on the shop floor so to speak I take my hat off to you all!

I am the Manager of 14 staff in a pack away committee run preschool - we currently have 95 children on role so I do have to have key children Nd currently have 14 - I am SENCO as well and it is a very busy pressurised role but would never not have keychildre. However a few less would be great

I am the manager and SENCO and also a keyperson, however, all our children have 2 keypersons (people!).

This ensures that if a member of staff is away there is still another person for the child and to talk to parents/carers.

This works well for us.

Joanne

Mine is simular to you. I have 17 key children, am manager and owner. Staff get one morning a week to update learning journals etc, and guess what I am the one who seems to never get my morning admin. Would love no key children but that would mean even more for other staff. 86 children and five other staff.

Hi

I own my pre-school and uptill now have also had keychildren. From September I'm not having keychildren anymore, mine all leave us in July. The reason is with all the admin, supporting staff, covering training, sick days and moving into the 2nd year of my foundation degree I have found it hard going, we have 52 children at present!

Could you perhaps start with none and see how it goes, if you take children at different times of the year it means maybe you could have 1 or 2 that are starting later?

I would also love to see your home to work policy!!

Kris

Most of the paperwork is done at home , as we are not paid for cover or given the time to do it on site! We have a special home to work policy to cover the security/safeguarding/confidentiality side of things.

Hi Johanna1

I would also love to see a copy of your ' home to work ' policy if that was possible. This is something we have to do as we do not have non-contact time during the day and it has always worried me.

homeworking policy on the way to all who would like to see it, hope it is helpful!!

I did think about just having one child, we have one family coming back into contact with the pre-school who may need a senior member of staff as key worker for various reasons. I have also considered not having any and seeing how it goes with each intake. :huh:

I think though my problem may be that as soon as I say yes to one I will end up with more than that kind of feel like all or nothing. I guess I am just worried about my own family and that they have been sidelined a little with courses and if I take key work on will I just be swapping one load of work for another and not give them the time I have promised them!!! :ph34r:

It has been so nice reading how other people run thank you for taking the time to reply

Edited by Johanna1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)