Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Inspection On Tuesday

Ofsted is coming at 1 on Tuesday. I was told that they don't usually give the exact day or time, but she was because I don't have any full-time children and the ones I have come and go at different times. So at least I know when.

The panic is starting to kick in now. I haven't completed my SEF yet. I've started it but haven't finished it. Do I plow ahead with it and fill in sections properly which may mean I have blank sections or do I try to get something rough in all areas?

Or do I leave it as it is and focus on improving my learning journals and organizing my resources and mowing the lawn? I don't know what's best to do anymore. :blink:

Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum! :1b

I'm not a childminder.........I'm sure one of our super childminders wil be along soon to help........but for my part I would try and have something 'rough' in all areas of your SEF - it will give you something to refer to.

Good luck with your inspection :1b

Hi!

I'd try and have something in each area of your SEF......... it's not as daunting as it looks, much of the later sections can be completed by referring back to previous ones. Be honest in your assessment of your practice - if you think you are Outstanding in some areas say so, and provide evidence to prove it!

Your Inspector will be looking for evidence that you're aware of the importance of reflective practice, which is ongoing, and linking your practice to the EYFS.

Have a look on the Ofsted website for recent inspections in your area, by the same Inspector. It'll set your mind at rest when you see how the reports are worded and what sort of things she has picked up on in support of the Gradings she has given.

Make it easy for you and the Inspector by having everything to hand.... CRB, Public Liability Insurance, First Aid and Food Hygiene Certifictaes, any other training certificates, any comments from parents (cards, questionnaires thank-you letters) your policies and procedures, attendance register, accident/incident book, contracts and child record forms.... I use an A-Z file and have everything in there, filed alphabetically and labelled with dates for renewal. a little time consuming to set up but has saved me hours since!

As for the Learning Journeys, resources and lawn? That depends how much sleep you are willing to sacrifice before tomorrow ;)

Your Learning Journeys are also an ongoing thing, your resources will depend on which children you have present and what they're interested in and likely to change at a moments notice ! and you can always say you're giving a meadow a go, to attract butterflies, if the lawn is really long :P

The most important thing is to stay calm, carry on as normal with the children and be prepared to talk the Inspector through what you do - sell yourself and your service to her!

Good Luck! Let us know how you get on.

Nona

Ofsted is coming at 1 on Tuesday. I was told that they don't usually give the exact day or time, but she was because I don't have any full-time children and the ones I have come and go at different times. So at least I know when.

The panic is starting to kick in now. I haven't completed my SEF yet. I've started it but haven't finished it. Do I plow ahead with it and fill in sections properly which may mean I have blank sections or do I try to get something rough in all areas?

Or do I leave it as it is and focus on improving my learning journals and organizing my resources and mowing the lawn? I don't know what's best to do anymore. :blink:

HI Monicandave, I have my first inspection at 9.30 tomorrow morning and am feeling exactly the same!!! What to do first? Where to start? :blink: I hope you inspection goes well, I look forward to hearing about it, all the best for tmw-I will be thinking of you! xxx

Monicandave and JennyJenkinz.......... oh, the suspense! How did you get on? Are you celebrating or having a lie down in a darkened room!? :P

Nona

Nona! how very sweet of you to think of us. I look forward to hearing from Monicandave...I have to say today was amazing! Nerve wracking but it went exceedingly well and I am indeed enjoying a glass of bubbles :D The inspector was also very interested to lean more about this forum ;) I am now going to lay on the sofa and watch some silly Australian soaps and RELAX x

• Like 2

Nona! how very sweet of you to think of us. I look forward to hearing from Monicandave...I have to say today was amazing! Nerve wracking but it went exceedingly well and I am indeed enjoying a glass of bubbles :D The inspector was also very interested to lean more about this forum ;) I am now going to lay on the sofa and watch some silly Australian soaps and RELAX x

Excellent news! :1b

I was told I got satisfactory with a good for working with parents. I am really disappointed though. I was hoping for a good. She had nothing bad to say about anything. She said she could see I was disappointed and that she was writing good things in the report. She said that the info in the report meant more to parents than the overall grade. I told one of my parents my result when she picked up her little one this afternoon. She was shocked, but said that it didn't matter to her one bit. The insopector said that the benchmark for first time inspections was satisfactory so she hinted that regardless of my setting, I would always have only gotten satisfactory.

I know that I will probably feel better in a day or two but just right now if I think about it too much, I feel like crying.

Ooops, I also meant to thank you for all of your advice, good wishes and welcomes. I know I will bounce back from this, but I just need the dust to settle a bit.

Oh monicandave :huh: I know you're disappointed but I hope you're giving yourself credit for your good working with parents........ that's really important to you and them and it's great that the Inspector has picked up on and recognised this!

Try not to be too disheartened, it's a great foundation to build on, you know what to expect from your Inspection now and how the process works and can build on this for the future.

See how you feel when you've receive your written report - I'm usually quite surprised by what does and doesn't get mentioned! Once it's described in Ofsted-speak it's hard to recognise my own setting!!!! :P

If you're still feeling low tomorrow please feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk things through with a sympathetic ear.

Nona

Well done for getting through your first inspection, and it sounds excellent from what you have said so far. I suppose they give new setting just a satisfactory in order for them to always want to improve, even on perfection!! This is just good practice to always reflect and improve things, and the satisfactory grade would be a "kick up the bum" even when it isn't really needed!

Good luck for the future, and i wish you all the best.. congrats! :D

The inspector said that the benchmark for first time inspections was satisfactory so she hinted that regardless of my setting, I would always have only gotten satisfactory

Perhaps I am being naive here but this really shocks me. How can it possibly be a level playing field if the highest you can get is satisfactory? I want to become accredited so I can receive funding for a particular parent (and maybe for my own ambitions too ;) ) and to do that in our LA you need a good from Ofsted. If anything I think you probably reflect and evaluate more early on as you're setting up a way that works for you and you're not stuck in your ways.

• Like 1

Sorry I missed your posts last week. I think there has been a change in the way childminders are being inspected. The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say it's because of the push to get childminders out of Ofsted. I had an argument to support that last week but I've forgotten it. Point is, don't worry about it. You'll either be so well prepared next time that you'll breeze it in, or we'll be out of Ofsted and our inspections won't mean a thing.

Enjoy,

Honey

I think it seems terribly unfair! If the Ofsted inspector believes the setting/childminder is good - then the report 'grade' should reflect this. Surely otherwise you'll have this rating for at least three years before your next inspection - parents looking for childcare are encouraged to look at Ofsted reports and to partly judge by the rating.

Hi Monicandave, how are you feeling about things now? I just wanted to mention that I have been working with children as a nursery nurse for 15 years and have completed a foundation degree in early years which has all impacted upon my setting and the service i provide. I hope you are feeling a little more philosophical and remember Ofsted is just one measure of your service, the most important thing is that you and the children you care for a happy x I hope you enjoy the long weekend and relax-preparing for your inspection is very draining-i'm still feeling exhausted from it!