Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staffing And Qualifications

Could any one tell me if all staff have to be of a level three qualification (or the equivalent) in all nurseries?

no. the statutory requirements give you the ratios of qualified staff.

here you are.....

3.21 In group settings, the manager must hold at least a full and relevant

15 level 3 qualification and at least half of all other staff must hold at least a full and relevant level 2 qualification. The manager should have at least two years’ experience of working in an early years setting, or have at least two years’ other suitable experience. The provider must ensure there is a named deputy who, in their judgement, is capable and qualified to take charge in the manager’s absence.

Edited by finleysmaid

Thank you, finsleymaid, I really appreciate your reply. Yes I am aware of this quote in the EYFS.... I was just wondering if all staff have to be level 3 by a certain year. I thought for some reason, that I had heard that the governement wants everyone to be qualified to level 3 by 20? Or is that just for leaders and EYPS'...... have I just dreamt this?? :1b

Sorry i can't help with your question! Our systems are so different! We are slightly different in Northern Ireland! Managers and room supervisors have to be level 3! There have also been drafts proposals issued to change minimum standards in settings. Proposals are that managers and deputies are degree level!

many many moons ago, 2012 was the initial date for all staff to be qualified, then I think it moved to 2015 as a goal, and now there is no definitive answer!!

A little like the requirement for EYPS, which seems to have disappeared......

The previous government wanted all full day care provisions to have a graduate leader by 2015 and the rest of the practitioners qualified to level 3. Now the goal post has moved and the new welfare requirements only require half of the staff to have level 2, with no requirement for an EYP anymore.

Disappointing for those of us that have reached level 6.

Does anyone have a clear understanding of where the nneb qualification stands with regard to managers/deputy role, I know the cwd suggest some nvq units should be done but is it a suggestion or must for those roles ? Have a deputy who's nneb but didn't like the suggestion that I look into her accessing some nvq training, which I do understand as it was lot of work to qualify for nneb but not really sure how we stand.

The Nutbrown review is considering practitioner qualifications in Early Years - full report due June if I remember correctly - and this is considering whether to make level 3 the minimum qualification for all practitioners and if so, by when. Dame Tickell's review of the EYFS recommended that the minimum qualification should be level 3. The old CWDC website also had something on it about qualifications if you can find.

I do not mean to be disparaging, but I would personally take an NNEB qualification any day over an NVQ.

I taught level 3 NVQ for a year in an evening class and was shocked at how small an amount of work had to be done to get the NVQ in comparison to a full time 2 year NNEB course!

Of course I may be biased as many moons ago I did my NNEB!!

I also accept that different colleges will have different qualities of NVQ education going on too.

Hope I didn't offend anyone. Sorry it was not my intention to do so. . . . .

As for the level 3 throughout the nursery or preschool I think this would be seen as good practice but financially not viable for most settings. I am one of the folks who just completed her EYPS (waiting on results) and instead of it being mandatory for wraparound nursery it is now seen as good practice to have one so I doubt I will be paid accordingly if I do get the status!

Edited by Scarlettangel
  • Like 2

My feeling has always been to reinstate the NNEB as the most appropriate course for all staff within the Early Years sector as a minimum qualification. The amount of knowledge gained on child development was vast and is vital, which sadly I personally feel is not contained in the courses available presently.

• Like 1

I was a 2 year full time NNEB student many moons ago and at the time felt very proud !! ��

I have seen three of my staff complete the Nvq level 3 and agree that child development is not as in depth as when I did it...not quite correct grammar there?!?...... ��

I too say 'heads up' for a revamp of the NNEB!! A verrry thorough qualification......may I be bold enough to say that we may not have needed the EYP status if this was still on offer! But wot do I know? ��

ooo cant even get my smiley faces work. ha ha !

Edited by Rafa
  • Like 1

Wasn't the whole original point of the NVQ to enable experienced unqualified workers a fast track route?

Somehow along the along the line it seems to have become a stand alone qualification to be completed in the fastest possible time!

Thanks for all your replies, looks like I have broughtanother conversation up too. I agree that even some of the NVQ level three's are becoming too easy for people to complete- some taking only 6 months, when back when it took me 3 years and was in much more depth!!!