Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

"lending Library"

Hi

I have some money to spend :D and wanted to start up a "lending library". I own a Pre-school with children aged from 2 - 5 years and there are 45 on the register.

My deputy came up with the idea a while ago of a book pack to go home if parents wanted them. In the pack is a book and a laminated page of things to do at home related to the story. We have 12 of these packs. At first parents were interested but obviously we need to extend this with more books.

I don't think I necessarilly need to have a page of things to do - although all ideas would be gratefully received.

Can anyone tell me what works well for them - how many books for my size setting - do you put in ideas to do at home - how are they packaged to go home - how do you keep account of all the books - what do you store/display them in - lots of questions sorry. I am really keen to get an idea of cost as well, as the deadline for the spending is very, very near (end of week!!!!!) :huh: and I just need to quote a rough costing.

Many thanks in advance

Sue J

We have a lending library. We have 3 boxes of books, one set for each age group as we take from 2 and they can be with us for up to 3 years, that way we can make sure they have suitable books for their age group. Each set has enough plus more for every week we are open. Our children have book bags and we change their book once a week.

Each child has a library sheet and each book has a sticker with a number on the front. We date on their sheet when it goes out and cross it off when it comes back in.

Most of our books have come from book people (they have excellent book packs such as 10 for £9.99), scholastic books when we've had tokens to spend, and also NCT sales as the books they sell there are usually in excellent condition.

Thanks Laura, do you choose the books for the children or do they choose them and do all the children take them home? My daughter mentioned book bags and i believe you can buy them for around £3.00 each? I will have a look online for school bags.

Sue J

We've amassed well over 200 books - inventory takes ages!!

These are divided between the two rooms, with theme books like Christmas, Chinese New Year being stored in the cupboard for when they are appropriate.

Children choose a book whenever they like, this could be daily, weekly whatever and parent writes down the name of the book in the library record for their child, and ticks it off when they return it. This way we can see the range of books children are borrowing and extend a theme of interest by suggesting books.

Children can choose a book with their parent or key person, as they wish, and it goes home in their book bag.

we have http://www.banana-moon-clothing.co.uk/141_caps_hats__bags/206_bags/824_junior_book_bag_p/ these

Edited by Cait

Thanks Laura, do you choose the books for the children or do they choose them and do all the children take them home? My daughter mentioned book bags and i believe you can buy them for around £3.00 each? I will have a look online for school bags.

Sue J

As I buy new books for my setting they are each stamped inside with our name address and telephone number and an individual number, this number is recorded in a log book together with the name of the book. Children choose a book to take home for themselves each week and this is put into their book bag and the number is recorded, in a register when it is returned we cross out that number. We used to give them a plastic folder, but now we use the Bookstart scheme bookbags. when children start we give them one of these and its contents they then use this as their bookbag - no cost to us and excellent recycling of a bag which probably wouldn't otherwise be used.

Book buying is addictive I'm afraid, not sure I want to disclose how many we have :ph34r: :blink: :wub:

We buy the book bags from Mapac, they have our logo on, are bright yellow and a good advert as they walk to pre-school!

To be honest we choose their book, but that is only because of space, staffing etc. I'm hoping to let them change their own book when we move to our new premises, hopefully encouraging parents to help them change it.

They only bring their book bags once a week, on their diary day - with 40 children a session, and 100 children on our register it would get too much if they all brought them in everyday or changed them more often. That way we have between 15 and 25 books to change a day.

we have a lending library but only with our children who moving onto school in September - we have a session deicated to them and they can choose 2 books - we have a sheet we fill in and then when they return them we ask and discuss the story with them - this is similar to the school system so helps them with transition

We have a separate set of books for our 'library'. When we buy new books we keep them for use in the setting and that means we can release older books for the library (though we make sure they are still in reasonable condition). Our families are not always reliable at returning the books, so in this way we are not heartbroken when some of them go missing. They are housed in a small bookcase in reception and we encourage the parents and children to choose the books together. They then simply have to write in their name, date and the number of the book onto sheets in an A4 ring binder - again we have kept the writing to a minimum as some of our families struggle with writing. They should also date the book when they return the boook.

We have a front plate in each book with name of the setting and a few simple pointers about sharing stories (e.g. turn off the TV!) - the same in each book.

Good luck with your project

We have boxes of books that the children can take home each day. We also have a story sack lending library, the parents have to sign these out and return them after a week. These have a book in, activity ideas lonked to the 6 areas of learning, puppets/toys linked to the book etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)