Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Children And New Eyfs

stick to the current eyfs

but as you write up new children's observations (if time allows) look at the new eyfs and compare the differences so that you become familiar with the new development matters

• Like 1

I kind of think if it were me, I would carry on as normal - but (and this could be different for you) I would 'take' one or two of the new ones myself (I do not actually have keychildren on my own- but oversee/support staff with theirs)

I would then start 'trialing' new formats etc myself. By this I mean they would still be allocated a keyworker following current EYFS - and my paperwork would be extra- and if it what I do works well it can added/used at September ................ and if it's total rubbish it can go in the bin!!!! But then I am one of those that need to try things out first- rather than just hitting the deck running. :1b

I can see quite a few staff meeting coming up - just another expense added to the printing costs. I have already told staff they need to access it online at the moment. I have printed off one full copy for the setting, but that almost killed my printed. Their is no way I can print off one for each member of staff. :( :( :(

Hello everyone

I too have been pondering the old and new curriculums. Will need to print complete new record books for every single child. Oh my goodness. Never mind working out backdating new records to transfer previous achievements across books, all that ink and paper.

And all this on top of printing out all the new documents. Can see a "drought" on paper and ink and a nationwide shortage as a result!!!!!

I changed the learning pathways last night so will be starting all new children starting after Easter with the new version, I can't see any point starting with the old system and then changing it over in September. I find the best way to get to know a system is to use it and with just a handful of newbies staff will be able to get to grips with it on just a few children

I personally would keep to the current EYFS and give myself time to get my head around the new EYFS for Sept.

lola, we are going to keep using our existing eyfs and summaries until we have some more deatils and relevant paperwork,

When we completely change over in September we will write a note in the front of all the children's folders to say that certain things were covered in the old frame work and write the dates that they used the old framework. In the new one I would date it from when they start using not when they started nursery. Some snap shots might not fit in the new frame work like it did in the old one.

I might be missing the point but as all the 'new stuff' does not apply until September I didn't think starting now was an option ? we will be sticking with current version until then. Lots of 'getting ready' behind the scenes though and then putting it all into place in September.

I agree max321, only have a few starters after Easter so will prepare new learning journeys over hols, that,ll give the term to iron out any changes needed b4 sept, will oversea myself to make comparisons and adapt.

Thats what i would do, please let us know how it goes

I'm leaving things as they are. Over the Summer break I'll make notes on observations on any 'new' areas the observations cover and highlight the new County sheets. I'll keep the old County sheets with the file so that they can be referred to if needed.

I changed the learning pathways last night so will be starting all new children starting after Easter with the new version, I can't see any point starting with the old system and then changing it over in September. I find the best way to get to know a system is to use it and with just a handful of newbies staff will be able to get to grips with it on just a few children

Sounds like a good plan to me - that's what I will be doing. :rolleyes:

Guest BevPiper

Where can I find a copy of the new Development Matters book??? I have found the new Framework and have distributed that to all staff, but am told that I should continue with the old Development Matters - how can that work? Are we still going to be working with the age bands??

More fun in the world of childcare! A review of the curriculum and a supposed reduction of paperwork. However spot catch 22, we have to re-write all the existing documentation we currently have and re issue all children's records in September. Also we have to give children starting after Easter one record book for a term then change - I can only say paper, ink and more work AHHHHHHH!!!

I have also had to invest in a new printer. My old one was already making funny noises prior to the revised curriculum. Now it`s finished it off!

Trying for a positive note (lets not think about the 2yr check), on the plus side, there are less learning goals.

Trying for a positive note (lets not think about the 2yr check), on the plus side, there are less learning goals.

ah yes but not that many less as each one will be split into 3 levels and lets face it most of them are just re-written to squash them into one statement but still covers all the work needed before! :rolleyes: clever old government :blink:

Ok forget trying to be positive! Its basically a lot more work. We have to re-do everything with the added 2yr old checks.

Can anyone see a positive with the revised curriculum?

Is everyone going to start the new in September? I only have 1 new child after Easter at the moment. Am tempted to put her on the new curriculum. Weighing up the chance of Ofsted coming against my reduced paperwork etc if I do give her the new one.

Ok forget trying to be positive! Its basically a lot more work. We have to re-do everything with the added 2yr old checks.

Can anyone see a positive with the revised curriculum?

Is everyone going to start the new in September? I only have 1 new child after Easter at the moment. Am tempted to put her on the new curriculum. Weighing up the chance of Ofsted coming against my reduced paperwork etc if I do give her the new one.

yes the positives are that it will give us all a good kick into action and all those jobs you were putting off will now need to be addressed...so we'll all be up to date....i wouldn't mind if i hadn't just done this last summer for the move to the new building!...anyway we'll all just get on with it as all those fab practitioners in early years always do and if we are going to have a moan then online with forum friends is the way to do it and then we can go into work being all positive and bright :1b :rolleyes:

I have 4 new children starting after easter, i'm so tempted to put something together to use with them rather than waiting till september, our training by our EYA is only 2 hours and its not till end of July, would much rather work on changing everything now so i have it all sorted before the summer holiday then i may actually have some of the summer holiday to myself rather than spending it doing paperwork.. Then i could put it in place when we return in september for all the other children. Just not sure what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I have already adapted mine to suit new EYFS as I have 19 new starters after easter.I think I can already work out whats needed.I did attend EYFS training a few years ago but really I could have just read the book myself. I want to do as least as possible over the summer hols, going away etc.etc.The weather has been awfull so I have not begrudged doing it now

.I am a member of PLA so waiting to see what their new free on-line training is like.Apparantly all staff can access it.

I have put new DM statements in to profiles we use and have got it down to to 21sides for both prime & specific areas (was 32) but totally agree finleysmaid, nearly all the same statements that were in 4/6 headings per eyfs area now crammed into 2/3 headings in each area, so I guess staff will need extra sheets quicker to replace filled up ones so bang goes the few sheets of paper per profile we were saving :( and it looks to me like the 1 elg per area (17) is actually still 2/3 per area crammed into one statement and hope we don't notice lol

Edited by mouse63

I agree we should hold back until September but there is no harm in starting to discuss as a team how to implement and inform our present and future parents of the changes to the EYFS, our local authority haven't provided any training as yet and are involved in its pilot.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest colechin

I agree. I have a few children starting with me in the next couple of weeks, so will start the new EYFS with them. I had spoken to my area advisor and she agreed that it would be a good opportunity to iron out any problems.

We also discussed moving the rest of the children over to the new EYFS before we break up for the summer holidays. She advised that I highlight the new EYFS for each child, to show what they had achieved over the last year or two they have been with me, and then from September start and highlight in a different colour each term, to show Ofsted what they have achieved since the new EYFS came in.

Hope this helps.

I think I'm missing something here... we already assess the children at 2 don't we? In our day to day observations and learning journey/summative records/whatever recording system you use. We also have key meetings but I guess not all settings do. So for us the 2 year old checks are just what we do already... no?

As far as which EYFS to use, as far as I'm concerned the 'curriculum' might have changed but the children haven't. They still develop the same way as they always have and I think as skilled practitioners we need to be focussing on them and our own judgements of whether the children in our care are progressing as they should. Do we really need a written programme to know how to extend their learning? Shouldn't we know what we need to be providing to help them progress anyway?

I know we have to maintain records and people are going to be worried about what format to use but we've changed so many times now - from nothing to desirable outcomes to FSP to EYFS and we've all survived haven't we? Can you imagine other professionals putting up with the amount of changes we've had and just taking it on the chin and getting on with it? Blimey, there'd be protests, strikes, goodness knows what else!!

• Like 2

Hello Kitty yes we have always included out two year olds in obs, assess etc and picking up any possible delays in development but now however all twos have to be formally 'checked' with parent input, meetings to discuss etc and so there will be once again more pressure on staff to ensure this is done along with all the other endless paperwork! Yes we are good, yes we are flexible,yes we are probably one step in front of 'those who should be obeyed' and yes we do keep taking it onthe chin! just moaning more ha ha!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)