Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Book Can't Pronounce A Name

Panders

Ok so we have a few space mad at the moment, have a new book (to us) by Margaret McNamara and Mark Fearing called The Three Aliens and the Big Bad Robot. The Aliens in the title are called Bork, Gork and inexplicably - Nklxwcyz. I have a hankering to call him Nicklewitz, but what do you think? suggestions please!

I'd go with Nickswitch - whatever you say has to be a word you can remember to say the next time, so I'd suggest that if Nicklewitz is your first thought, that you go with that

I think it looks a bit like a Polish word at the end there, so my first thought was Nicklewitch, but as Cait says, I'd go with your first thoughts - they're usually right!

does look very Polish as Maz said.. and if that is the case it would be sounded much as she has said... (having had many relatives/friends with these Polish surnames which are never written as they sound.. z tends to be a tz sound.. )

Assuming it is your own copy I would suggest writing in there somewhere how you have decided to pronounce it so anyone reading it can use the same one..

Ok so we have a few space mad at the moment, have a new book (to us) by Margaret McNamara and Mark Fearing called The Three Aliens and the Big Bad Robot. The Aliens in the title are called Bork, Gork and inexplicably - Nklxwcyz. I have a hankering to call him Nicklewitz, but what do you think? suggestions please!

I would be with you Panders....Nicklewitz to me....can't see the switch bit that others have at all :(

Well as suggested stuck with what came naturally to me so it was Nicklevitz in the end. I have to say, the children loved the book,most particularly the boys, probably because of the big bad robot. We had been teasing them with the story throughout the morning as well, so they were quite ready for it when we began. The girls noticed the similarlity between 3 little pigs and this story - the boys I would have to say weren't bothered by that fact. They liked the planet illustrations and the robot and speaking like a robot.