Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gift Policy

Can I ask if anyone has a gift policy that they would be prepared to share for us to have a look at please. we are updating our policies and would like to write one thank you very much

killowengirl

Is it to prevent embarrassment when parents give inappropriate or over-generous gifts? Good call! Difficult to get right though. It's a balance between saying you'll accept nothing (bit churlish), and saying you'll accept small tokens of appreciation or celebration, which looks like you expect something.

Best of luck with this one. Looking forward to seeing what turns up.

Honey

Sorry but we don't have one of these. Although I will be interested in other peoples views . Are we just policy making for policy making sake, would a parent/carer really obey it if they felt they really wished to reward/ thank someone. I think it could possibly make life more difficult with relationships with parent/carers. Are you suggesting banning gifts altogether?.

the only time we have discussed this to my knowledge is when it was brought up in terms of safeguarding(along the grooming lines) ...i didn't feel it was something that we dealt with often enough to warrant a policy ...i just made sure my safeguarding policy would cover any difficulties (whistleblowing)

i think if i was to ban presents my staff would be a bit cross! my parents would feel upset and those little things that mean so much would be missing!

Sorry but we don't have one of these. Although I will be interested in other peoples views . Are we just policy making for policy making sake, would a parent/carer really obey it if they felt they really wished to reward/ thank someone. I think it could possibly make life more difficult with relationships with parent/carers. Are you suggesting banning gifts altogether?.

Bridger, I totally agree. Why make a policy for something that parents like to do and staff like to receive. Do school teachers have a policy on this? what makes a gift inappropriate? and I'm not sure I would want to have to 1. tell a staff member to give a gift back or 2. tell a parent they couldn't give a gift.

Do school teachers have a policy on this?

Well err actually many do, yes. They may not have a set school policy as such, but there are often LA guidelines on gift giving (mine sets a maximum value of receipt of gifts from parents, children, the general public etc).

I wonder if killowengirl has a reason for asking this, for example a gift giving culture that has got out of hand, or a very expensive gift that has embarrassed the staff? (I as once offered free use of a yacht for a month and no, I couldn't accept it). Sometimes there can be a competitive culture of 'my present costing more than yours' and this can alienate families who cannot afford to do so. I recall being in a school not that many years ago where the 'worth' of the teacher was down to the value of the presents they received. When it gets like that, it isn't healthy.

Of course, in the vast majority of cases, it is completely innocent, and its just parents wanting to thank you for the fantastic work you do. But it isn't always the case, and maybe sometimes it does get out of hand, and that's up to individuals to think about how they might respond if it does.

Well err actually many do, yes. They may not have a set school policy as such, but there are often LA guidelines on gift giving (mine sets a maximum value of receipt of gifts from parents, children, the general public etc).

I wonder if killowengirl has a reason for asking this, for example a gift giving culture that has got out of hand, or a very expensive gift that has embarrassed the staff? (I as once offered free use of a yacht for a month and no, I couldn't accept it). Sometimes there can be a competitive culture of 'my present costing more than yours' and this can alienate families who cannot afford to do so. I recall being in a school not that many years ago where the 'worth' of the teacher was down to the value of the presents they received. When it gets like that, it isn't healthy.

Of course, in the vast majority of cases, it is completely innocent, and its just parents wanting to thank you for the fantastic work you do. But it isn't always the case, and maybe sometimes it does get out of hand, and that's up to individuals to think about how they might respond if it does.

xD if only! i'm lucky if i get a smelly candle or a bottle of bubbly from the body shop :o (though i am always grateful!) but point taken Mundia....i've just got a bee in my bonnet about paperwork at the moment...comes from spending much of half term catching up on my learning stories etc etc etc and starting a new sef yesterday. Sorry Killowengirl :(

Apology from me too, just fed up with paperwork for paperworks sake. As I am never likely to need a policy for this and will continue to accept chocs/flowers and candles ( and a month on a yacht if it ever happens) I will bow out of this conversation.

No apologies needed from anyone, what's great about this forum, for me anyway, is the balance of views from different perspectives which in turn helps us to reflect on our own practice, and our own reasons for doing the things we do.

It is difficult though, isn't it? We've had everything from a tiny , beautiful box of chocolates, to a packet of biscuits...............to use of a holiday cottage in Cornwall ( yes, we did accept it, but the reason behind the gift was exceptional) to all of the parents getting together to buy us a tree, or a very generous gift voucher. Personally and genuinely, I am always surprised and embarrassed to get anything, but I also hope that parents haven't felt they HAVE to buy gifts. In fact, many don't and I never even think about it. I certainly wouldn't have a policy for it though, but I can see why some schools would do so ( for example,my late friend used to buy horribly expensive gifts for the teacher AND wait until there were lots of other parents around t make sure we all saw what was being given. I was very hard up at the time but anything we gave was a gift of gratitude, rather than a 'show of wealth' lke my friend's. she always felt her daughter got on better in class because of the gifts, though I don't believe this was true...........mind you, she DID always get the lead part in performances and plays LOL).I really think, in the end, if a parent wishes to give a gift, it's just good to accept with good grace and not worry about it.

Can we have one that says 'when gifting your child's key person please also remember the person who bends over backwards to give you the sessions you want, only to have you phone me at home a week before the end of the holidays to tell me you,ve changed your mind....but that's ok I like redoing all my registers etc again, the person who chases you endlessly to get your parent dec form back so you don't get a huge bill, the person who keeps on your back so that you do apply for and your child actually has a place in school next September, the person who probably adds more info to your child's learning journey than some keyworkers..............'

Point taken Mundia of the competetiveness of some parent/carers. It just seems such a shame to have to policy everything.

Of course all gifts are very gratefully received, infact my loveliest treasures are the gifts that have been home-made, or the wonderful comments made from them either verbally or in a card. :o

Parents arn't my problem!! I'm seriously thinking about some kind of policy/procedure with regards to staff attitude!!!!

Sometimes I feel like mouse63 - but I honestly don't expect gifts (candles and hand-cremes!!!) but I have one member of staff that is so 'grabbing/watching/insecure/needy/jealous/etc' that myself, and other staff members are now actually beginning to dread the giving seasons.

I have no keychildren now, and I consider the small hourly amount I get is my recognition (but I do like getting small gifts- especially homemade ones)

At my boy's school I want to say 'thank you' to all the people who help them - Crossing Guard, Teachers, Teaching Assistant, Receptionist (actually my biggest help), Cook and Dinner Nannies. So I make chutney from my home grown fruit which always seems to be appreciated.

Honey

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)