Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Operational File

sorry to jump in but i too have to start an operational plan and have been told that i need to have every form (as a master) in there with an index so if OFSTED were to come in, we can hand them the file and they can have a look through. BUT... Are some or you now actually gettin rid of your operational plans? and putting something into place?

sorry to sound dump, but if i dont ask, i wont know? lol

Thanks

Well my thinking is (and we had an ofsted in sept 11) that why use up valuable space when you have the real things out most days anyway!

Our '4 sheet formula' just directed osfted- should they wish to see - to where the paperwork was.

So......... if she wanted to see an accident form, she knew we keep completed ones in filing cabinet, and blanks out ready to use.

I told her that is she needed anything I would get it for her, or she could just look for herself (well she didn't help herself to anything private/confidential on her own obviously- and I did make a point -politely- of reminding her that!!!!)

I think in the old days when inspections were two day they had more time to look. To be honest she was only really with us for just over 2 hours and I think she was just happy to know what we had in place, and then just look at a few random pieces of evidence. Anything she wanted to see were things that were 'in use' rather than just 'mastercopies'. For example she wanted to see our current register rather than the format we use.

xxx

Edited by louby loo

I never had one at any time... I always had a list of where to find the things and when asked gave that to any inspector who used it to find what they wanted... what is the point of doubling up on work and papers if it is all there already by putting more in yet another folder.. no one ever asked or questioned my decision and I would have argued the reasoning behind it if they had..

always been one for cutting the paper work to the must have .

sorry to jump in but i too have to start an operational plan and have been told that i need to have every form (as a master) in there with an index so if OFSTED were to come in, we can hand them the file and they can have a look through. BUT... Are some or you now actually gettin rid of your operational plans? and putting something into place?

sorry to sound dump, but if i dont ask, i wont know? lol

Thanks

I think this is going to be one of those personal preference things. I'm still keeping an Operational Plan/SEF evidence folder, as I like having all the information to hand - originals of forms are in one place so that everybody knows where they are and can photocopy if they need. I inherited 3 huge filing cabinets stuffed full of paperwork a lot of it redundant (which we are slowly shredding when we have a spare moment) so this could influence my decision!

I think this is going to be one of those personal preference things. I'm still keeping an Operational Plan/SEF evidence folder, as I like having all the information to hand - originals of forms are in one place so that everybody knows where they are and can photocopy if they need. I inherited 3 huge filing cabinets stuffed full of paperwork a lot of it redundant (which we are slowly shredding when we have a spare moment) so this could influence my decision!

Yes, I think 'space' has a lot to do with it. In my last place we had a proper office and never had any form of operation place at all............ everything had a place etc- so it was never needed.

We have one filing cabinet in a cupboard here, so have to try and trim down on everthing possible.

• 6 months later...

Our operational plan is not written separately, it is implicit in our procedures file - if its not a policy or procedure we don't do it (pretty much).

In terms of Ofsted, what we have found useful is to go throught the inspectors evaluation schedule (on the Ofsted website) and really go through it with a fine-toothed comb and make sure we know the answers! We worried that when the big O comes we would be lost for words / in such a panic that we would forget where everything was! So, instead of an operational plan we have our Ofsted folder which does contain some blank copies of docs such as accident forms, medication forms etc but it also has prompts for what particular jargon means / where things are - this is a folder for us, not Ofsted. For example, if an inspector asked "how does the nursery keep up to date with safguarding?" we have a list: staff files for training, main door for named people, staffroom display for flow charts etc etc (it's to help us remember when we think we've gone blank!). We found it really helpful to go through it as a management team as it reminded us of all the things we do and where to find things in a hurry, under pressure

We know that in reality we know all the information contained in the file (its a small A4 file) - we just feel better about having it to refer to if we get stuck.

We also think that if we have an answer for everything we will be inspected on we can't go far wrong - and when the inspector asks if there is anything else they need to see, ask about, be shown before they make their judgement we have something for us to refer to to make sure we have told them everything we want to about us.

just a thought x

• Like 3

I have done the same as Purplewednesday1 - put together a file with the Statutory Framework and either written in the columns or put an example of relevant policies, paperwork etc and cross referenced it. Again more to make sure we have everything covered but also for easy reference for our impending Ofsted visit. If nothing else it has made me read the Statutory Framework inside out and back to front!!