Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Healthy Party Food

I was surprised at the sort of foods that were allowed to be sent in by parents for my child's KS2 Christmas party (I was helping out so I was complicit in it). The school holds 'Healthy School Status' and I didn't expect to see so much rubbish. I'm tempted to have a word to the Head Teacher. Makes my setting very boring by comparison.

When the children were in KS1 there was a list of required items which were generally healthy with just a few treats. What would you put on your list if you were making one? Or should I just butt out and let them have their fun?

Honey

For us party day is a day to have treats and fun. It doesn't happen every day and we felt it showed that you can have all foods in moderation and occasionally.

As you were there as a helper I think you need to let it go.

I agree with Inge. Party day (or snow days, come to that) are definitely occasions when children deserve to have treats and the adults deserve not to have to worry too much about healthy eating. I imagine that is what happens in most families in any case.

I agree with Inge and Maz, it's a party and children should be allowed treats. We have cucumber, grapes, tomatoes on our party food list along with sandwiches, cocktail sausages, sausage rolls, crisps, savoury snacks, chocolate fingers, rice krispie cakes etc.

I'd do what Deb does - include the healthy stuff that you know children enjoy but include a few treats too. At our parties I had some children who refused to drink squash because the healthy eating message was so effectively implemented in their families that children would only drink water or milk!

I agree with Inge and Maz, it's a party and children should be allowed treats. We have cucumber, grapes, tomatoes on our party food list along with sandwiches, cocktail sausages, sausage rolls, crisps, savoury snacks, chocolate fingers, rice krispie cakes etc.

hey are you coming to our party? That's my shopping list. Have also to put a few things in for the adults to stop them picking at the children's party food!

hey are you coming to our party? That's my shopping list. Have also to put a few things in for the adults to stop them picking at the children's party food!

Thanks very much, what time?

Just bought some nice coffee and mince pies for a coffee break for the adults before the children arrive. Have to watch staff with the children's egg sandwiches!

Mind you this year, following a hot tip on the forum, we're providing disposable lunch boxes so the children can take home any food not eaten - so there might not be any left for the adults!

Hey thats my list too. xD:o

I do think you need to let it go, party time is treat time thats why its called a party.

I think at this time it could be really useful to explore treats, what they mean, why etc, so that as children grow they are able to make informed choices to keep healthy.

Just bought some nice coffee and mince pies for a coffee break for the adults before the children arrive. Have to watch staff with the children's egg sandwiches!

Mind you this year, following a hot tip on the forum, we're providing disposable lunch boxes so the children can take home any food not eaten - so there might not be any left for the adults!

My own boys used to love party days at nursery because I always bought more than we needed and they would dive in as soon as any leftovers appeared at home.

I like the lunch box idea too, I have got some which I bought at the wholesalers some while back, are you going to put food into them to begin with, or just what the children haven't eaten from their own plates, or just a selection of what's left over? Decisions, decisions,

we have very little choice but to stick to reasonably healthy food at present no meat/eggs/gelatine (and next term flour too!)...makes life difficult. Have to agree that parties are few and far between and having a variety of foods allows you to have discussions about what you might choose to eat.

Having just started a few weeks ago at my preschool , we were hoping to take the children shopping for party food, logistics being as they were we were unable too but they were asked what they would each like to eat, with no influence they came up with a list very similar to those above , a nice balance of healthy and treats- after it's Christmas only once a year!

My son's school has changed this year instead of parents sending something in , they are offering a party style school dinner, helps with school meal uptake , less mess and most importantly very helpful because of allergies

I pinched the disposable box idea too Deb, we've put a small apple, box of juice, a box of raisins, 1/2 packet of organic puffs, a stick of cheese, a squeezy yogurt and a small packet of organic animal biscuit in them.

we did the boxes every year.. we put the food in the boxes, were able to name them so those with allergies etc were catered for, they ate what they wanted and took the rest with them.. we had a bottle of drink or carton of juice for them to choose with it, fruit shoot bottles we found were very good for no spills and no mess!

left us with virtually nothing to clear up at end , and we supplied something for the adults, often a pizza or chicken bites..

I have once been to a party where they asked parents to choose a McDonalds kids meal and they put in a pre order with someone going to collect it.. that worked well too.. suppose having a local drive through one who were happy do help was a bonus.

So it seems guidance via a list is the norm, as it was when my boys were younger. I was most shocked by full trays of iced do-noughts, six packets of chocolate biscuits and aspartame sweetened squash, while my contribution of carrot and pepper sticks , and somebody's very nice chocolate coated cherries were the only vegetable matter on offer. It just seemed that all the work done as parents and in Early Years goes out the window.

This week, I know that the children in that class who also come to me have had at least three parties along similar lines!

Bah Humbug,

Honey

My setting has Healthy Childcare status and I take the view (similar to a lot of other forum members) that 'treats' are o.k. I don't believe 'banning' sugary food is a good idea, and on special occasions i.e. child's birthday the parents often send in cakes or sweets. However, I am concerned with the contents of many children's packed lunches each day (despite 'suggestions' via a lunch club leaflet I have put together to offer healthier alternatives). Furthermore, many lunch boxes must cost parents a fortune each week when a child attends full time, with the pre-packaged items which quite often a child will just have a bite or two and leave the rest! :o

oh dear,I'm really worried now! we're doing jacket potatoes with coleslaw, or beans or cheese ( we are usually a packed-lunch setting), and some treats in the form of the usual things, such as ice cream, sausages, and biscuits etc.........................but we'll be outside for some of the time (We have a LOVELY surprise planned for the children!!), so wanted something warm to revive us afterwards!Oh and lentil and tomato soup is bubbling away on the stove as we speak, that's for the adults!

well, that was a lovely day! food declared to be delicious and hardly anything left over...................and the surprise?? Two real life reindeer came to visit us ( Donder and Blitzen.....perfect!) with santa, not a dry eye in the house. I promise to put some pics up in the next day or two........so lovely :)

our nativity/party day was a success with the children choices and what little was left over was readily consumed by staff. i mntioned the box idea to my team yesterday but all agreed that though it may work it was very American and took away the whole idea of buffet party and would be too formalised - so will shall continue our way next year - traditional style !

lashes, I tried the box idea for the first time in 20 years and have to say, it was fab. the children sat as at picnic and even the 2 year olds ate most of what was in their boxes. all took the rest home, no mess and no leftovers, i will certainly be doing it way next year

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)