Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Career Advice Please

suebear

I have once again asked for help from the Committee as I feel some of the things we have to deal with should be shared and handled by them much more than at present.
This is a quote from Terrydoo in another post and I just had to steal it as it sums up exactly how I'm feeling. Thanks Terrydoo :o

I have being manager of a pre-school for almost 2 years and have ran out of patience with my Committee. I have been working with our Early Years Team to get through a quality assessment and move on from being a good to an outstanding setting. My staff have been brilliantly supportive and work really hard for very little in return and I really value them. The trouble is my Committee just don't get it and I feel I am constantly nagging at them. Paperwork is missing from the setting, staff don't have contracts, policies aren't signed, they haven't attended any safe recruitment training and they just ignore me. To the extent that we've been told that Committee would get us an inadequate from Ofsted regardless of the hard work staff at the setting have done.

One member of staff has told me just grin it out another Committee will come along soon but this lot signed up for another year in September. I don't think I can handle the stress and keep finding the energy to cajole them into doing stuff. I already do many things a Committee should do to keep things ticking over and it drives my husband mad but if I don't do it it doesn't get done.

So, I am considering walking away. I love Early Years so would definitely like to stay in the Sector but not quite sure in what way. I have a 3yr old of my own so that I presume would make it harder to be a nanny. My house and grounds are suitable for childminding but my house certainly at the moment isn't as clean, tidy or hygienic as my work. I find being self-employed quite a scary thought but am fed up of working so hard, for others to have the potential to ruin all my efforts.

So over to you- please could you share a couple of pros and cons of your job if you're a childminder/nanny or feel free to comment on my situation to help me work out what to do next.

Many many thanks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think you should be bold and upfront with your Chair, and tell her that as she's agreed to another year, you'd like to see some positivity this year. Point out what you've said here about your potential Ofsted rating - get the person who told you this to back you up. If they aren't prepared to pull their socks up, suggest they help you change your status to community enterprise or whatever it's called.

Easy for me to say, I know, but I really think if things are as bad as you say, and you are prepared to walk away, what have you got to lose?

Sending supportive hugs, it's really tough as a Manager, I know how you feel.

Edited by Cait

Hi Cait, this is the stage I'm currently at at the moment. I had an hour chat with two members of the Committee and I ended up telling them straight but it resulted in me crying (I was so cross with myself how can I tell them to behave professionally when I was an emotional wreck?) but they wanted to come away with a constructive plan and move on so I am meeting with them again this coming week. However the following day the Chair came in, she said she'd lost my appraisal and asked if I had actually filled in my sections of it? It just goes from one thing to another. They told me not to worry about funding they'd sort it. The paperwork still hadn't been collected from the setting less than 24hours to the deadline so I ended up reminding them to come collect it and sign it. I don't doubt they mean well but it just seems to be all talk no real change.

bless you suebear a lot of us have been in your situ with committee run groups - personally with committeee and a memebr of staff i ended up leaving and still two years later deeply regret it but at the time couldnt continue - am in a consultancy role now which i enjoy but still deeply miss working on the ground with staff and children - think carefully before jumping :o

been there, done that, got the t shirt.. many times over.. some committees are good, some bad.. others terrible..

trouble is in this day and age they are all volunteers with no idea of a business, and how to run it never mind the added ingredient of Ofsted etc. Most have no clue and even then don't really want one as they will usually only be around a year, sometimes two at most so why should they ?

you currently have the .. it will be ok kind.. no real rush someone will do it...

the ones I found hardest were the ones who always felt they knew best and more than you did and interfered in every nook and cranny of the setting, telling you very loudly they were your employers and the regulations were not important... they caused me even more of a headache...

I eventually found one person who actually thought it was a good idea to have what they called a manager , to ensure the regulations were being adhered to, liaise between the staff and committee and follow through on admin tasks . .. ended up as me but being paid extra hours over and above my regular ones to do the admin , and then meet with chair once a week for 15 mins let her see it and sign all that was needed... same for treasurer, a meeting for checking any funding paperwork and her signing what was needed...

worked well for me and following committees as they had already employed me to to the extra work others had to follow it through! I knew things were being done, was paid extra and it ended up as a way forward. They did treasurer and other stuff but must admit I also made sure we had contacts , and always sat in for interviews with questions.. appraisals mine was done from bottom up.. so staff did it..and chair saw and added some from her side of things too... it is easy if you are a small team to do it this way.. really does depend on the staff and if they are supportive it is a way to make things work.

Or you could suggest they employ someone as administrator to do all the paperwork and get it approved by them if they are finding it hard to do.. Maybe the suggestion of the need to spend more money will spur them on to doing something themselves..

I dont have the answers but just wanted to say Im in a similar position....my committee and I barely have a relationship these days after a horendous year when, after I had asked for help - mainly in the form of supernumerary time to be able to manage the admin / staff development and just to free up my free time, they proposed to shunt me aside in favour of bringing in a manager.

I have fought this and in taking action forced them to at least delay .... and in so doing made them all totally fed up with me. I am still fighting it, waiting for answers / a resolution...its taken 6 months so far...The initial idea of bringing in someone to help (which I was not opposed to) became someone to take over..in spite of us apprarently not having the funds even to give me the extra EYP wage (despite it being funded!) or give me or anyone else extra hours so I can be supernumerary sometimes and carry out one to one supervisions ... and yet they couldnt see why I was upset that the extra money and supernumerary time that should have been mine was to be handed over to someones else!!

They continue to complain about things I havent been able to put in place, tell me what I need to do ..and yet no time or support has ever been offerred to allow me to do that so im set up to fail and confirm their opinion that I cant do it so someone else must.

Meanwhile the committee convieniently ignore the fact they too have tasks that are well overdue - new staff who started 6 months ago dont have contracts...items discused months ago at committee meetings are still not actioned...staff appraisals carried out in july 2010 have not been written up / returned to staff (perhaps lost...)...and the list goes on...so I do have to keep reminding them of things - which in turn doesnt make me their fav person either!

Talking to them hasnt helped - they just dont listen to what I say ...

I feel I am just going through the motions at the moment...I feel totally disilusioned, unappreciated, ignored, even a little 'bullied' after the criticisms they continue to make about me. I have never felt so vulnerable and fearful - these people are basically in control of my future...and the early years committee advisors have supported them.

I have found there is no source of support for staff - staff advisors cannot support on 'personal' issues like this if the committee advisory team are involved as basically they are on the same team.

This committee have, in trying to 'support' me, shredded what little confidence I had before.

Ive worked under many many committees but this past years started out so impressively and yet has turned out to be the worst ever. :o

I am waiting to see what happens with the new committee - all but two are stepping down...but I will never be entirely at peace around committees again... having parents 'in charge' of groups is an arrangement that really does not work these days .

I too have considered the childminding route as an alternative ... but despite everything I still love what I do and am not ready to let them win and give up - and honestly - Im just not brave enough to give up what is familiar I guess. xD

I hope you can find the resolution that is right for you!

Hi Inge and Trekker, thank you so much for your replies.

I don't think they really want to change things and don't seem to want to take their responsibilities seriously. Personally, I would like to go down the community enterprise route but there is no point as we have a full committee who don't see a problem with the situation other than me whining. I have considered going to the PLA and our Early Years Advisory Team but it all just seems like stres and hassle, for what? Another Committee to come along and as you say

been there, done that, got the t shirt.. many times over.. some committees are good, some bad.. others terrible..
. A few months ago I'd have fought this, I'm not a natural quitter but I can just see a cycle of repeated problems ahead of us and feel completely demotivated.

I just don't understand how we still in 2011 have settings in this position. I'm sorry that I'm not alone in this situation; Pre-Schools have this reputation for 'just playing' not being serious business.

Trekker, my heart goes out to you. Your situation sounds far worse than mine, I really hope your new Committee have enough about them to appreciate all you do.

Somehow these parents leave our settings and go on to schools and join governing bodies and parent fundraiser associations and they seem there to listen to the head/deputy yet in my experience the respect doesn't seem to be the same in Early Years.

I already do many things a Committee should do to keep things ticking over and it drives my husband mad but if I don't do it it doesn't get done.

So, I am considering walking away. I love Early Years so would definitely like to stay in the Sector but not quite sure in what way. I have a 3yr old of my own so that I presume would make it harder to be a nanny. My house and grounds are suitable for childminding but my house certainly at the moment isn't as clean, tidy or hygienic as my work. I find being self-employed quite a scary thought but am fed up of working so hard, for others to have the potential to ruin all my efforts.

So over to you- please could you share a couple of pros and cons of your job if you're a childminder/nanny or feel free to comment on my situation to help me work out what to do next.

Many many thanks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh suebear! I'm sorry you"re feeling so down. I work alone so can't offer any constructive advice, just sympathy!

2 points in your post struck me, as a childminder - a role I've loved since I started 14 years ago.

ALL my paperwork, admin, planning etc is done in the evenings and at weekends.... and yes, it drives my husband and daughter mad :o

and my house is certainly not a model of cleanliness, tidiness or sterility....it's a home, filled with children, pets and (generally!) chaos xD but I'm told it's warm, welcoming and inviting and a "home from home" by the parents who choose to use my service and I've had Outstanding gradings in my last 2 Ofsteds.

So please don"t discount childminding... maybe a call to your local Family Information Service would tell you what demand is like in your area and give you something to mull over.

Nona

Sorry a bit of a long post and a rant included!!!

Well, it's been a week and a half with things going from bad to worse.

The Committee minutes have appeared that thanked a committee member for updating the policies - I spent over 30 hours updating and sorting them but no mention of that! I asked to speak to anyone on Committee on Tue and was told by e-mail no-one could talk to me until 2nd Nov and they only wanted to talk to me alone not with deputy there (?). I was told I could order a filing cabinet which I did and then told to send it back as setting can't afford it. The money is there and the Committee have decided we're going to open days when we receive no funding at Christmas and decided that they're going to pay the village hall cleaner because we're so messy (?) after she complained. We don't have anywhere secure to store paperwork and haven't since June. The Committee said they'd sort it at some stage - I have explained it's a legal requirement but their priorities are different to mine.

Anyway, as a result I handed in my resignation yesterday afternoon and the Committee have accepted. They told me by letter less than 24hrs after receiving it. They haven't asked why I'm leaving (I just wrote in my letter I felt it was time to move on and wished the setting every success in the future). Can't come in to talk to me, can't get together to sign any paperwork but can meet to write my goodbye letter - am impressed. Any initial doubts I had in my previous posting have long gone. Now I just feel cross at them. Have given notice til Christmas and I've registered with Local Authority for child minding course. So exciting but a little scary time ahead! My staff are being brilliant and really supportive - they can't believe how I've been treated, want me to stay but say they wouldn't in my shoes. Fingers crossed the next 7 weeks are okay.

bless you hun - its a very difficult decision (been there) it will take a while but you will look back and realise you have done the right thing. :o Still really upsets me that some coimmittee run groups loose fab managers over thier inability to support though!!!!!!! xD:(:(

All the very best to you...a brave decision and exciting too - you can only tolerate so much and there are so many of us on here that completely understand... :oxD:( :( :(