Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Non Medical Emergencies

Guest lilpil

Hello everyone, was just needing some help! I need to detail any non medical emergencies which may arise at a preschool/nursery. I can only think of 'missing child', 'fire' and 'break in to premises' was wondering if anyone else could think of anymore! Thanks in anticipation.

We once had an incident, years ago, where the community building we used when I ran the playgroup was hit by a runaway tractor (it was at the bottom of a grassy hill). The local cubs were having a sleep-over in the building and it made us think hard about what we'd do if it happened while we were playing in the outside area.

Sue

Think about how your setting could be affected by a fire nearby, or as in the case sometimes auto garages store those canisters which can explode they use them the contents to do welding with, if you have a garage nearby would you have to evacuate if there was a problem there, or any other businesses nearby to you that could have an emergency of their own which would impact on your setting.

You would need a place of safety to go to within reasonable reach for the children because you cannot keep them outside waiting to be collected by parents.

In Kent we were given a folder with guidelines for emergencies, they suggest the following

Major Emergencies, Pandemic Illness, Weather, Climate and other natural disasters, animal and plant disease outbreak, Energy and utility failure, Industrial accidents, chemical and radiological incidents!

Human emergencies

Abduction,

Death of a child or member of staff

Operational Emergencies:

Bomb or suspicious device, bomb threat, suspicious mail, emergency closure, Fire, Flood or Explosion, Hazardous Spillage on setting premises,

AMAZING WHAT CAN GO WRONG, the list appears endless - somebody remind me why we do this job please!!!

We once had an incident, years ago, where the community building we used when I ran the playgroup was hit by a runaway tractor (it was at the bottom of a grassy hill). The local cubs were having a sleep-over in the building and it made us think hard about what we'd do if it happened while we were playing in the outside area.

Sue

We're sited within community playing fields and the man from the council make us do a risk assessment on exactly that kind of thing happening to us.... his words were 'imagine one of the old boys next door[council yard] had a heart attack when mowing the fields'!!!!

We're sited within community playing fields and the man from the council make us do a risk assessment on exactly that kind of thing happening to us.... his words were 'imagine one of the old boys next door[council yard] had a heart attack when mowing the fields'!!!!

That's the sort of thing where at the time I'd go "for goodness sake, when's that going to happen?!" Then come on here and read about it happening to someone after all!

Panders we do this job because when you open that door in the morning and the children are full of beans with a great big smile, its fantastic. xD

Remind me i said that when i'm having a nightmare day. :o

I opened the door this morning to be greeted by a three year old girl who said 'I have brought you a special present - She was empty handed so I bided for time by saying 'oh how lovely' and she said 'Look, it's my beautiful smile' - and it was !!!! :(

I opened the door this morning to be greeted by a three year old girl who said 'I have brought you a special present - She was empty handed so I bided for time by saying 'oh how lovely' and she said 'Look, it's my beautiful smile' - and it was !!!! :o

Oh how lovely xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)