Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Glorious Weather!

sunnyday

Right, now I know that I am turning into my mum - she loves nothing more than a good chat/moan about the weather! :(

Can't believe how beautiful the weather is - what a bonus!

Speaking of my dear old mum - she will be 90 on Sunday - hope the weather lasts - she'll have so much fun on her bouncy castle if it's nice and warm! :oxD:(

Woo hoo glorious weather

My daughter works and lives in the Isle of Man

She is coming home as a surprise tomorrow for my husbands birthday.

She loves living away but misses a sunday bar-b-que

guess what we will having on sunday

Looking forward to a lovely family weekend

Enjoy the sunshine all

oh hahaha - you made me laugh out loud with that one! I hope she has a fantastic day!

Tiffin on the lawn at 3, is it?

Oh nothing so 'genteel' (I'm not even sure if that's how you spell the word) - you know us lot we're all of to the Pub - mum's choice of venue!!! :o

Woo hoo glorious weather

My daughter works and lives in the Isle of Man

She is coming home as a surprise tomorrow for my husbands birthday.

She loves living away but misses a sunday bar-b-que

guess what we will having on sunday

Looking forward to a lovely family weekend

Enjoy the sunshine all

Have a lovely time! :o

What is tiffin?

Tiffin is lunch, or any light meal.

From British India - The word originated when Indian custom superseded the British practice of an afternoon tea, leading to a new word for the afternoon meal. It is derived from the obsolete English slang tiffing, for "taking a little drink or sip". When used for "lunch", it is not necessarily a light meal.

Still used in India, Nepal etc for a between meal snack.. with the lunch boxes being referred to 'Tiffin boxes' ( you know the stacked ones clipped together with different compartments .)

but these days is if often used to refer to a refrigerated chocolate cake...

that is the end of the history lesson...

Tiffin is an Indian and British term for a light meal eaten during the day. The term is generally used to mean an in-between-meals snack. In home baking, there are a number of "Tiffin" recipes, most using broken biscuits and chocolate as the main ingredients. So although the recipe below specifies specific ingredients and quantities - feel free to experiment!

Ingredients:

4 oz (or 125g) butter or margarine

1 tablespoon sugar

2 tablespoons drinking chocolate

1 tablespoon golden syrup

2 tablespoons raisins (you can use dates or whatever you prefer - I generally add some chopped glace cherries too)

8oz (250g) Rich Tea or plain or digestive biscuits

6oz (170g) good quality milk or plain chocolate

Method:

Melt the butter and sugar with the syrup in a large pan. Add the raisins and drinking chocolate and bring to the boil. Allow to bubble gently for two to three minutes to thicken a little. You can add a drop or two of rum if you like

Crush the biscuits with a rolling pin (putting them in a plastic bag beforehand cuts down on the mess). Don't leave the biscuit pieces too large, however, or the finished slab will tend to break up when cut. Mix the crumbs well into the melted mixture, coating thoroughly. Press into a lined 8 inch by 11 inch (28cm by 20cm) shallow Swiss roll tin and level out, pushing down the mixture well.

Melt the chocolate carefully and spread over the top. Leave to set in a cool place then cut into 15 or 24 pieces with a sharp knife.

Obviously I shall only be bringing the choicest examples of bakery goods with me to such a salubrious gathering on the bouncy castle.

Shame your mum didn't go for the bungee jumping option this year Sunnyday perhaps you all thought it was time for a bit more decorum at 90 years of age. :oxD

Shame your mum didn't go for the bungee jumping option this year Sunnyday perhaps you all thought it was time for a bit more decorum at 90 years of age. :oxD

:( Couldn't even think about giving her a push from a high platform....she didn't really enjoy it last year! :(:( :wacko: