Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pumpkins

While out yesterday i saw pumpkins on sale and it has prompted me to remind everyone of this wonderful activity which covers so many areas..

I looked back and could not believe how long ago it was I first posted about it...

Pumpkins

So for all those who want to have a go you need a pumpkin, golf tees and hammers... large wooden mallets are good or rubber headed ones.. we used the ones used for tent pegs and they worked a treat...

then away you go.. hammer them in...

when full of holes we used them as a peg board and the golf tees were the pegs..

lastly bash it open and explore... and count how many golf tees are inside...

just don't leave it around all weekend open, unrefrigerated . you will come back to a bit of growth... or in our case someone left one all half term and we game back to a full mouldy yukky thing on the shelf! Not one year but two....!!!

and I even found the original video for you to see it in action....

The outdoor environment about 9 mins into the video..

Edited by Inge

Guest tinkerbell

I love this activity

Last year I gave the children magnifiers and ikea childrens plastic knives (Reception) what a laugh ,they managed to make a hole and then put their hand inside to feel the seeds and pulp,their faces were apicture! they then made another slot on the otherside of the pupkin and were grabbing each others hand inside in all the mess.They absolutely loved it and howled with excitement. It was a brilliant day.

thank you for reminding me I will do it again

Tinkerbell

Edited by tinkerbell

We've done this a few years now and it's always really great fun. I bought a big box of wooden tees on ebay and a couple of small hammers which Zebedee chopped a few handle inches off to make them easier to wield.

This year, Sunnyday told me about her pumpkin growing competition and so we gave it a go - have to say that the rabbits have eaten my 'pimpkins' so I have nothing to show, but one child has brought his in already - we're wondering how many parents are going to cheat and buy one!

I'm another one that loves this activity!

I like the idea of them putting their hands in and finding each other :D

Last year we were amazed by which children were proficient at the hammering - mostly petite, 'girly' girls! The rough adn tough boys we thought would go at it with passion were quite timid and not keen to hold their own tees for fear of hitting themselves! We supposed it was due to the girls supposedly having better control but boys are meant to have better spacial awareness aren't they so *shrug!

I'm another one that loves this activity!

I like the idea of them putting their hands in and finding each other :D

Last year we were amazed by which children were proficient at the hammering - mostly petite, 'girly' girls! The rough adn tough boys we thought would go at it with passion were quite timid and not keen to hold their own tees for fear of hitting themselves! We supposed it was due to the girls supposedly having better control but boys are meant to have better spacial awareness aren't they so *shrug!

Sexist I know, but it could be because the boys have spent time in the shed/garage with dad being told that they could easily hit their thumbs, or have already done so! Your girlie girls may never have experienced anything like this and so have no fear!

This year, Sunnyday told me about her pumpkin growing competition and so we gave it a go - have to say that the rabbits have eaten my 'pimpkins' so I have nothing to show, but one child has brought his in already - we're wondering how many parents are going to cheat and buy one!

:oxD:( - Guess who hasn't managed to grow a pumpkin.......again! :(:(

Had great fun with pumpkins last year - looking forward to this year too - slight hitch though -----

One of our grandad's gave us a pumpkin plant so we are growing our own and at present they are not much bigger than golf balls - I think nearer the time the pumpkin fairy is going to have to visit :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)