Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tricky Situation!

Hi

This sounds quite mean but you know when you have a parent that you can't wait until they move on in July with their child!! Well we had one this year and unfortunatly she has been in touch to say she is signing up for a level 2 chidcare course and could she complete her work experience with us! :o

I know there isn't much I can say other than "that would be lovely" xD , but I do have a few concerns with regards confidentiality as she is good friends with a couple of parents still with us and obviously would be involved in our meetings etc when children are discused. Some parents moan about her to us as they find her rude and abrubt at the gate (she is Hungarian with basic English so feel this is the way she expresses herself), have spoken to some of the staff and although not jumping around for joy feel we will have to say yes!

Any suggestions!!

Kris

ooh feel for you with this one! I take it she will be coming as a volunteer? If so, might she be excluded from full staff meetings and just attend general/planning stuff, or you make staff meetings when she can't possibly attend and give her a "minutes sheet" on a need for her to know basis, at least until you are satisfied she can be trusted not to blab!

I took on an ex-parent a couple of years ago and did have reservations about confidentiality, and continued to all the time she was with us, she didn't quite "get it" if you know what I mean, plus she child minded after school for parents we knew, she did school runs (bit of a nightmare all round really) but have to say, parents never complained about anything of a confidential nature all the time she was employed. I just always felt on edge that she was liable to let something slip at any time and would only think afterwards - ooh maybe I shouldn't have said that!

OOOH i'm cringing for you - can see the pit falls!!

Have you tried the line 'the college allocates our students and our allocations have been met'?

or...this year we are only taking (or prioritising) level 3 students, to enable us to concentrate on developing the setting (rather than molly coddling level 2's...no offence, just our experience of level 2...we've also used this with health & social care placements)

we've had parents on placement, voluntary and at the start made it clear that we could unless the place was needed for other students - this gave us a 'get out' if it wasn't working (as we are only allowed one student per room per day)

hope this all makes sense...i feel your pain!

I feel your pain too but at the end of the day this your setting that you are making a decision for.

If she will not be right for you, your staff and your parents then you must say no

Use the relationship card that she has a close relationship with your other parents and therefore it puts confidentaility at risk and also for her CPD another setting would be better to give her aninsight to how other settings work

Good luck

I did wonder if I could say that as I am starting my Foundation Degree in September we wouldn't be able to fully support her how we would like due to my absence on set days etc etc!!

Sounds like an excellent way out if you feel you need one. As Suer says, you have to make your decision based on what is right for your setting. If your reservations outweigh the security of the strictures of your student placement policy/procedures (especially with regard to confidentiality) then I would say simply that you can't support another student at present, but perhaps sweeten the blow by suggesting other local groups she might approach.

Good luck - sometimes it is difficult being a nice person having to make a difficult decision!

You so obviously have reservations and worries about this.. I too think it is possible to say no if it will greatly effect the setting, children, staff etc... and as you will need more time away form the setting and studying yourself it could be a very good reason not to take on a full time student ...

we only had one placement at a time and if anyone asked it was often a reason why we could not take more/another one.. it takes time and input to help them and you will not have this.

if you can give a few other settings she could approach, or maybe the college can find one...

I sit because the school is close and she will not have to go far to collect her child.. this could have a bearing on any placement.. but still feel you need to say no if your gut feeling is it wont work.

That said I have had parents do this and they became members of staff... one who all the staff had great reservations about and all worried about my decision became one of the best team members and very good at the job.. she is still there now 10 years later!

Hi Kristina sometimes you do have to say no, and its a word thats not often in our vocabulary i'm afraid.

If you feel having this person would have an impact on your setting, and you haven't given her the impression that she could come, then you could say that unfortunately as you will be studying yourself, the setting is unable to commit to student placements at this time.

Give them a list of other provisions or suggest they talk to the college.

Good luck with your degree. :o

I did wonder if I could say that as I am starting my Foundation Degree in September we wouldn't be able to fully support her how we would like due to my absence on set days etc etc!!

What do you think?

Kris

Sounds like a plan to me! :o

I feel your pain too but at the end of the day this your setting that you are making a decision for.

If she will not be right for you, your staff and your parents then you must say no

Use the relationship card that she has a close relationship with your other parents and therefore it puts confidentaility at risk and also for her CPD another setting would be better to give her aninsight to how other settings work

Good luck

Absolutely!

Would just say that I was in a similar position a couple of years ago........a young girl though.......we had her as a 'work placement' student from school and she was an absolute 'pain'.........a year or so later she wanted to come back to do 6 months with us........we really didn't want her - but couldn't think of a 'way out'........as it turned out she was great - she had obviously matured in that time and I laid down lots of 'ground rules' - we really missed her when she left!

Guest tinkerbell

I work in a school and a parent who has volunteered a morning a weekfor the past year has decided to do the SCITT training course (we take a student a year)and asked if she could do it at our school.The head said no as it would not be appropriate with her 2 children being in school and she also said it would be best to get experience in a different school.

I think it can also put the student in awkward positions with the other parents....we are trained to discuss issues with parents and can stand back.Some of our TA's have been parents (children now at secondary school) and it can be hard having a foot in both camps!

I have to agree with others who say, if you have bad vibes, say NO. That might mean

embellishing the truth about student arrangements in your setting but Early Years settings are busy enough as it is without worrying about issues with students. It is all too easy just to say YES but if you really feel it wouldn't work do the right thing for your setting. She might

not be happy for a bit but if she's serious about her course she will find somewhere else.

Hope that helps

Well I have replied to her message and explained that I would be studying and that another member of staff was starting her level 3 and we have 2 students doing short placements all of which is true. I also supplied her with names and numbers of 2 other settings both walking distance to herself, as of yet haven't heard anything from her so will wait and see!!

Kris