Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Accident Book

Hi,

We currently use the pink PLA book for recording accidents and parents sign the book, but the Local Authority have told us that we now need to be using sheets that are carbonated so that a copy goes home with the parent as well as stays on file. I asked where they suggested we obtain these books from and was told NCMA. However, have just visited their website and as I'm not a member was a little scared by their prices and don't fancy keep having to buy refills as we're quite an accident prone bunch!

So I was wondering what do the rest of you use? I know I could make my own but I don't fancy having to write the same information out twice when I've already filled the book in. I've seen schools use carbonated sheets so I know they're out there but can't seem to find them. Any help appreciated.

Thank you x

I devised my own accident record sheet, photocopy it, number each page and keep in a ring binder. works well for us :o

The sheet could be photocopied once completed if u have to give a copy to the parents. At the end of each half term, I file

accident sheets into each childs learning journey so the parents end up getting the original copy anyway.

Edited by dottyp

Interesting, I was told a bit back that it had to be in a secure book and not loose sheets so they couldn't be removed, hidden or tampered with! Maybe as your sheets are numbered that gets round the issue?

We don't have a photocopier at playgroup but thank you for your info. I think my LA make it up as they go along sometimes!!

I'm sure each LA makes it up as they go along! I bend over backwards to comply with my local LA's advice

and then Ofsted arrive and tell me different! We are never going to please everyone, but as long as there is a

record of accidents in place and the children are happy, safe and well cared for I think we're doing a good job! :o

I'm sure each LA makes it up as they go along! I bend over backwards to comply with my local LA's advice

and then Ofsted arrive and tell me different! We are never going to please everyone, but as long as there is a

record of accidents in place and the children are happy, safe and well cared for I think we're doing a good job! :o

Oh hear, hear! xD

At the risk of 'upsetting' the advisors who use this forum.......the only 'action' recorded on my recent Ofsted report was re recording of 'next steps' - I had changed my system on the advice of my SIP....when I showed the inspector how I used to do this she said "oh, what a shame that you changed this, this is so much better, very clear, I suggest you go back to this format"..........aarrgghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

oops - sorry suebear - got a bit side tracked there..........I don't have 'carbon copies' of accidents either......certainly no mention of this by the big O......

Edited by sunnyday

I devised my own accident record sheet, photocopy it, number each page and keep in a ring binder. works well for us xD

The sheet could be photocopied once completed if u have to give a copy to the parents. At the end of each half term, I file

accident sheets into each childs learning journey so the parents end up getting the original copy anyway.

We were told that we have to keep accident records for 20 years after the child has left along with other records.

Do you keep another copy or give all copies to the parents in the end?

What a minefield! :o

Beehive

As is often the case lots of conflicting advice

We used to have an accident book but some time ago were advised to change to single sheets or have a book with only one record per page.

We don't do copies for parents but they sign the form on collection which we then file. These are kept for 21 years :o

NOt sure why a parent would need a copy??

I suppose parents get a copy for reasons like if it wasn't them that collected the child or if they later took the child to the Dr or if they wanted evidence to sue us for not acting accordingly!!!!! Just thinking off the top of my head!

Our current book does only have 1 child's record per page and is signed by parents. But it goes over the crease in the centre of the book so I couldn't just put carbon paper underneath...

All of ours go into an archive box with everything else!!!

We make our own and up to now have used loose carbon paper with the problem of putting it in wrong side up and having to write out copy!

Now have found a numbered carbonless book and am using that.

It's useful when parent doesn't collect.

korkycat

We make our own with one page per incident which the parent has to sign.

However these are for minor incidents only, bumps and scrapes etc. Any more substantial injury has to be reported to the Local Authority on a form in triplicate. Maybe that is where some of the confusion is arising.

However these are for minor incidents only, bumps and scrapes etc. Any more substantial injury has to be reported to the Local Authority on a form in triplicate. Maybe that is where some of the confusion is arising.

Yes I agree with these thoughts.

When I worked in a workplace setting HR told us we had to do the 'triplicate forms' and our single sheeted ones were 'simply not acceptable'.

The new system lasted about one week- after we had to keep sending almost daily reports of 'road accidents'(bikes and trikes) and 'acts of violence' (minor incidents) to HR........ they then told us to stick with our old system (signed and filed accordingly) and to use the triple copies for staff and other 'serious' injuries' in line with standard workplace regulations.

http://www.eurekadirect.co.uk/Pupil-Accident-Books.aspx

I bought these after a Health and Safety inspection for a student placement from a college because they are fully DPA (Data Protection Act) compliant. Basically we used to keep individual sheets for each child in an A4 folder in the main playroom. To comply with the DPA we need to make sure records are kept securely and confidentially. Each book is numbered, and each page is numbered. The book is kept in the main playroom, completed by staff, signed by the parent then filed in the filing cabinet in the accident book (A4 folder).

I'm sure it is possible to design a suitable form but at the time I was really busy and I felt my time was better spent on other things and at £12.30 for 6 books (buy one pack get one free) that seemed like pretty good value. Pages do duplicate.

Having said that, these books are I feel designed for schools so the form/class part is unnecessary unless you were in a nursery where you might put baby room or pre-school room.

As a childminder I do like the new NCMA forms - two accidents per page and one for each child for Data Protection purposes. However, I wonder about the lack of numbering system and they only appear to be available when purchased with the medicines refill. I don't do many meds and have lots of scrapes so not very efficient purchasing. If you do fancy their stuff ask a friendly RCM to purchase a few extras.

Honey

It is a Requirement of the EYFS to retain all childrens records inc registers, medication, accident, Records should be retained for a reasonable period of time (for example 3 years) after children have left the provision. It is a Recommendation

of The Limitation Act 1980/The Statute of Limitations (Amendment) Act 1991 to keep until the child reaches the age of 21 - or until the child reaches the age of 24 for child protection records, So I wouldn't be giving any original copies to parents.

Staff accident records are different. I also think that different LA's have different rules. Ours has recently informed us that if we are claiming NEF for a child then we need to keep records of attendance for 21 years!! This is in case an audit needs to be done. |However I was under the impression that even the tax man couldn't go back that far so not sure why they have said htis.

I get mine from Playgroup network..........carbonated pages, top one is detachable, for parent to have a copy.They cost £5.50p each

The link I found www.playgroup-network.org.uk isn't working for me don't suppose you have another link/address for them? thank you xxx

The link I found www.playgroup-network.org.uk isn't working for me don't suppose you have another link/address for them? thank you xxx

I found the Cleveland branch have a 'national publications' section on their website - have a look here. Same price and description, but there isn't a picture for you to look at.

• 2 weeks later...

We photo copy any accident form that goes home- original for us and photocopy to the parent if that is any good to you? We have recently been inspected and this was acceptable.