Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Finally Registered

Yessss, finally received my Ofsted registration certificate this morning!!

I have a parent coming to see me next week, really worried that I'm going to forget to mention something important. Does anyone have any advise on how to handle the 1st visit from a parent?

Well I remember my childminder being very warm and friendly. She invited us in and straight away offered us tea/coffee. She offered to show us all the important paperwork which she kept in a folder, she answered any questions we had and insisted we had a look around her house. I was happy to only look at the areas where the children would be, but she was insistent that we looked around the whole house, even at her teenage children's bedrooms so if in the event one of the children had managed to get upstairs we could see it was all childproof.

My childminder has no formal qualifications but she really knows her stuff and she is confident with it. So I suppose what I'm trying to say is, just be confident, smile a lot and if you do get stuck, the parent is likely to have questions so these will prompt you.

Good luck!

nothing really to add to that. I have a ticklist at Preschool that I go through to make sure I've said everything - it's just laminated so I can re-use it. I've also typed out a sheet which I give to parents which says everything I've gone through, in case they want to share the info with partner etc.

Also useful for a 'Yes I did tell you about that' moment too :o

Yessss, finally received my Ofsted registration certificate this morning!!

I have a parent coming to see me next week, really worried that I'm going to forget to mention something important. Does anyone have any advise on how to handle the 1st visit from a parent?

Contragulations Sarah

Only just registered myself!

I was advised to have a parent info book - I have handed this out to a few families already and it has been well received. Like any interview I think a prospective parent is going to think of lots of questions after they have left you, or forget answers you have already given so it is a useful tool to use in addition to the all important personal touch.

Good luck

My childminder has no formal qualifications but she really knows her stuff Good luck!

I assume though that she is registered :o

I think that the first meeting is as much about talking to the family and finding out what they want than anything else. if they don't get the information they want, they will ask.

Just be friendly and be yourself. And don't take on work you don't want or families you don't feel you can work with.

Congratulations.

On first visits I don't do paperwork and only bring out information if asked for it. I feel that the relationship between Childminder and Parent is a very personal one and that first visit is all about building trust and learning about the child and family. At the end, I say that the next step is for them to go home, visit other settings if they wish, and then get back in touch if they want to proceed. When money is asked about I quote a slightly higher rate than currently charged which stays the same while the child is with me (If they take a break they come in on the new rate!!).

Second visits are the time for proof and paperwork I think.

Very best of luck,

Honey

Just be friendly and be yourself. And don't take on work you don't want or families you don't feel you can work with.

... that is probably the most important advice EVER!!

Remember it's as much you interviewing them as the other way round.... please trust your "gut instinct" and don't rush to sign a client up just to get started..... believe me, it's a lot harder to give notice if a situation doesn't work out!

I have a folder with all my policies, procedures and training certificates in to share with parents.

Another folder has notes and thank you's from parents and children built up over the years - so remember to save those when you get them.

I also have a scrapbook full of photos of activities and events we've done.... the children love to show these to new parents themselves and we often pass a wet hour looking back at them! (Ofsted liked them too... we're onto out 3rd book album!)

Hope it goes well,

Nona

Thanks for all of your reply's. Can't wait to get started just need the children now!! Any advise on advertising?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)