Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Daily Diaries

Didn't know there were still 'sessional settings' but yes we (preschool) have daily diaries for all children. Introduced a few years ago and a hit from day one. Sometimes tricky timewise to get them all written but well worth the effort :o

Yes we do, and I have to say they are a pain to do for each child every day! However, we have just given out parent questionnaires and a number of parents have commented on how much they appreciate them, especially working parents who may not collect their child every day. We have also got a few new parents who have really 'got' the idea, and let us know what their child has been doing when not with us. This is wonderfully in enbling us to initiate conversations with these new children. There are others (obviously) who never read them - I found last week's Father's Day card in one this morning!

As many as I have children in my key group. I don't write in them every day, unless there's something to say, but I do 2 or 3 times a week. It's necessary to not just write for the sake of it, but write because you want to share something. We stick little photographs in ours too - a picture paints a thousand words!

Hi all,

Do you use daily diaries to communicate with parents/carers about their child's day in sessional settings?

Hi ,

Yes we use them but they only go home with the child at the ned of the child's precshool week. They work really well , we get the parent to sign out comments to show they have read it and they too add comments or issues they wish to raise

As many as I have children in my key group. I don't write in them every day, unless there's something to say, but I do 2 or 3 times a week. It's necessary to not just write for the sake of it, but write because you want to share something. We stick little photographs in ours too - a picture paints a thousand words!

We are the same as Cait, but if keyperson is not in I will write extra if I feel it is needed. We have found its a great way to work with parents. When the books are full up (and SOME DO QUICKLY) we add them in their learning journal files as its a nice thing for parents to keep when they leave.

Ofsted were impressed with them :o

Sue

just out of interest, at what point in the session do you find the time to fill in 8 , 9 or 10 diaries? I think it's a lovely idea, but as I currently can't even make time for a loo stop at nursery ( for me obviously...not the kids!) I just cant see how I could fit this in as well.

We have 40 children a session so it would just not be possible to do them every day, but each child has a book bag day - when they change their library book and the key person writes in their diary. This works well for us. As for time - i try to give everyone a mix of morning only and all day so they are not writing 6 or 7 to go out at the same time. We take it in turns to give every one some time towards the end of a session.

Yes I use them too - as others have said I do not write in them all the time - it is nice to have some feed back and parents respond in them too - I tend to write them all - havent quite managed to complete I am now giving them to key group members. It is something I started last September and it is good.