Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Uniforms

Hi,

Just wondering do you provide staff with a set uniform?

and do you provide parents with the option of buying t-shirts and sweatshirts with pre-school logo on for thier children?

Thanks

We dont have set staff uniforms but do have uniform for parents to buy. T shirts & sweatshirts with logo on. Around 3 years ago we canvassed our parents and as a result of only one parent saying no, we changed to a compulsory uniform.

we give uniforms to staff and offer t.shirts and sweatshirts for parents to buy. I think with the funding as it is now set up parents cannot be forced to purchase.....you may need to check with your LEA on this one.

Yes and yes

staff all had a polo shirt or two , and a fleece... a vest top for summer was included if they wanted one.. this was checked every year for any wear and tear and new ordered once a year... everyone could have one polo shirt a year anyway so we built up enough for wash and wear...those in 5 days started with 3 ...

also we had a couple of waterproof coats for all to share in the cupboard.. no excuses that you cannot go outside..

and enough caps for all to wear outside as well...

we had a small stock of t shirts and sweatshirts for the children.. parents often bought at short notice and having some on hand meant we sold more..

We provide staff with 'logoed' uniform - polo shirts, hoodies and a fleece for Winter. I also paid for them all to buy themselves a couple of base layers for outdoors in winter as we need to be cosy if we are to be happy !!!!!!.

The children have a non compulsory uniform with logo - sweatshirts and t shirts which 90% wear each day .

We get all from Banana Moon who have a huge range of colours and styles to suit all .

Im not sure you can actually make a uniform compulsory for children, as it becomes something parents must buy in order to take up the place and hence isnt free. This could be detrimental to parents who cannot afford to buy them or to parents who take up places across two different providers, having to buy 2 of everything.

We had a dress code with an optional polo and sweatshirt with the logo on, but personally I never liked them. I like the individuality of very young children dressing differently, not to mention the ease of sorting out clothes after PE (30 sweatshirts all the same and not named...not my idea of a good time). I liked the fact that colour, pattern, similarity and difference can all be discussed with their own clothes but not when they all look the same

Is it just me that really dislikes uniforms? think I'm a rebel at heart

its very personal isnt it - i never liked uniform but when i go into settings now it does look good all staff wearing the same - as for the children it has to be optional as some parents cannot afford it :o

I liked all staff wearing a uniform. ours were in a range of colours as were the children's... not all the same colour... came from the name of our group ... staff liked it too.. saved own clothes.. not need to think about what to wear etc..

children were optional.. many parents liked it to save 'own' clothes from being ruined.. and our parents passed them on when the children left so they went through many years of use..

I laughed when the staff at my son's preschool saw him in his preschool uniform t shirt & said 'Oh good, now you won't have to worry about getting your clothes dirty'... and pointed out that as I 'd paid £4.50 each for the uniform tshirts, and £1 each for the primark t shirts he wore every other day, it was the uniform ones I'd rather didn't get painty!

Uniform was not compulsory there, but the staff asked for a unifrom t shirt of possible when taking the kids on the summer outing to an indoor play place - I can empathize with the desire to easily identify the kids in public.

All the staff in my setting wear a uniform, it is fairly formal and on first sight does not look that comfortable or child friendly :o when I first started it reminded me of a beauticians overall, however it is smart and not actually uncomfortable at all. Everyone wears the same except the manager and deputy who wear a different colour. I quite like it, I do not have to worry about what to wear, I also think that as many of the staff in our setting are young it would become a fashion parade.

Children can wear a uniform but this is completely up to the parents and no pressure is applied at all.

yes I know it cannot be made compulsory but it is made clear to our parents before they start that we expect all children to wear it. All our parents can afford it, if they couldn't we have plenty of good condition second hand to buy. I absolutely cannot see the problems with uniforms at all. As a parent of 4 I loved it when they started school and didn't have to worry about what they were wearing anymore. We have always insisted on the wearing of it when on outings and stops a lot of the competition ( it does exist even amongst 3 year olds) over their clothes and inappropriate dress, especially amongst the girls in summer. No more strappy tops or ankle length flowing dresses. To be honest I dont see why it cant be compulsory, if parents decide as ours did, then so be it!!

have you sorted your logo's out yet?...it might take a little time for companies to do the art work for you so need to bear that in mind. Can you ask any of your prospective parents what they would like?...when we started there were no uniforms for anyone. Staff like it because they dont need to worry about what to wear(they are given a wide range of colours and styles to choose from though) Children like it because its like being in a club(also useful for sen children to give them a heads up about what is happening that day...uniform=pre-school) they are very easy to wash and we keep the prices down. Good luck with everything for september!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)