Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

File Organisation

I am in the mood for a good old re-orgainise. Can I ask how other Childminders (and other practitioners too) organise their files please? For instance, do you keep all the permission slips together, or do you put the permission slips for each child in their own file? I seem to have a mix of both.

I think when parents want to ask about something, it looks better to pull out just one file, but for checking that each child has all the required updated bits and pieces it is better to batch.

Am thinking Individual files with a tick list of all the components attached - and all children from one family stored together.

It wasn't an issue with five children from two families, but now I have fourteen children from nine families so I have to get serious about it.

Cheers,

Honey

I am in the mood for a good old re-orgainise. Can I ask how other Childminders (and other practitioners too) organise their files please? For instance, do you keep all the permission slips together, or do you put the permission slips for each child in their own file? I seem to have a mix of both.

Honey

Hi Honey - when you have finished yours - could you please come and sort mine out? xD:o

Seriously now - one file per child seems to work for me......

Edited by sunnyday

we had one group of paperwork per child in a punch pocket... which were together in a file... alphabetical as we could have up to 60 at a time.. made it easy to find an individual one if needed. Removed as the child left and stored for a couple of years usually.. just in case..( we had someone come back 3 years later with an issue and we were glad to have forgotten to sort out and destroy the paperwork!)

we just ensured each one had all the required permissions etc when they started with us..

any additional permissions etc added were checked via a tick list to ensure we had them all..

There's nothing like a good old sort out to clear the mind!

I keep reg forms and any permission slips etc in an alphabetical file, sen, safeguarding, funding forms etc are kept seperately but each summer everyting apart from safeguarding is put with the reg forms to be archived!

Also have spread sheets etc with each child and what permissions they have, emergency contacts, medical details and so on for quick reference. In my head my filing is perfect,,,,,in reality,,,,,well, a good day or two in the summer should sort it!!!!

It wasn't an issue with five children from two families, but now I have fourteen children from nine families so I have to get serious about it.

Gosh Honey! Your setting is bigger than mine! :o

I think when parents want to ask about something, it looks better to pull out just one file, but for checking that each child has all the required updated bits and pieces it is better to batch.

Am thinking Individual files with a tick list of all the components attached - and all children from one family stored together.

Cheers,

Honey

I updated mine at the start of the year (pre-Ofsted)

Previously had individual files but, as you say, it's easier to batch when all permissions etc need updated.

I now have an expanding A-Z file, contents stored alphabetically... consent forms, contracts, emergency contacts etc etc

Each section also has a spreadsheet at the front stating when last updated and next review date and each child's forms in a plastic sleeve, also alphabetically stored.

Mrs O found it easy to follow and agreed with my reasoning that, in an emergency, it would be possible to "grab and go" and have everything to hand.

Have fun with your re-organising - it's a great excuse to buy lovely new folders and matching accessories :)

Nona

Shh nona, have you forgotten Sunnyday's addiction to the Staples store and all their contents, just a whiff of a new file will send her off gathering again.

Funny you should say that.......went on Saturday - came out over a hundred pounds lighter! xD Ink buying - honest, well Ok there may have been the odd dozen files, hmmm some notebooks.....OK yes some pens.....

Is it time, do you think to stand up and say 'I'm a Staplesoholic'! :o

Oh just remembered - envelopes in various sizes......well you never know when you're going to need one.......oh and yes OK maybe there was some paper too!

Edited by sunnyday

Funny you should say that.......went on Saturday - came out over a hundred pounds lighter! :wacko: Ink buying - honest, well Ok there may have been the odd dozen files, hmmm some notebooks.....OK yes some pens.....

Is it time, do you think to stand up and say 'I'm a Staplesoholic'! :o

Oh just remembered - envelopes in various sizes......well you never know when you're going to need one.......oh and yes OK maybe there was some paper too!

:( Mine came from Wilkinsons.... lovely peacock design on the box folder....... so I bought the matching A4 file for the attendance register (and a matching pen to keep on it!) a soft file for my policies, the notebook...... well, the whole range really :(

Then my daughter really liked them, so we went back and got her a notebook and matching pens etc for her 6th Form induction days in a different design xD

AND I'll NEED new for Uni when I start my BA :(

Nona

Hello

I keep all confidential information about children (e.g. contracts, reg forms, sensitive health issues and consents) in one file which is secure. I have individual Learning Journey folders for each of the children which has information from parents, obs, assessment and planning information.

I also have fioles for Ofsted publications, accidents and medication, risk assessments, planning, themes and topics, multicultural topics, inclusion, outdoor play, audits, policies and procedures, networking, reflective diary and food safety.

Its took me 4 years to find this system works best for me. Everyones differetn though, so do what evers best for you and your setting.

I also buy all my files from tesco, ink from ebay and other stationary from amazon. I hate spending money on all this so seek to find the cheapest solution.

Many thanks for all your constructive answers. I went off for a few days leaving all my files half undone (half done, anyway!). My husband came back with some really lovely bright pink (to go with my purple everything else) concertina files. One for confidential, contract type things and one for business/tax/OFSTED type things.

Am going to use computer/PRAMS for pretty much everything else (my laptop is PINK too!). Just planning/Next Steps in a little file for use day to day. I AM NOT going to keep all my old planning stuff - don't care what the best practice is in this case - it's all about looking forward.

Going to ask a Garden Safety question now, so many thanks again

Honey.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)