Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pirates!

Hi

In my Year R class we are doing a topic on 'water', but in the outside role play and large construction area the children have become pirates! I want to follow this interest-we have already made treasure maps , flags, hats, swords and eye patches, but I need ideas of how to develop this subject further. My own knowledge is pretty limited! Can anyone recommend some good stories,computer games or non-fiction books and has anyone got any good ideas for pirate themed activities? Many thanks.

we turned a large cardboard box into a pirate ship - the children painted it, used it inside and out...at one stage they were pretending the sea was a bit rough and hung over the side pretending to be sick !!!

we did a treasure hunt around the playground -with a treasure chest of booty at the end.

we had a dressing up day - we all (yes staff included) came dressed as pirates.

This is probably too late but .......

our class teddy was stolen by pirates. He sent us a message in a bottle (in the water tray!) asking for help. The children were really motivated and wrote letters which we sent back to him (via the bottle in the water tray). The pirates then sent us a 'map' and instructions (with lots of positional language) to follow to find teddy. The children were so excited as we followed the trail and eventually found him hidden (dressed as a pirate) in the adventure playground!

This activity took place over several days and the children still talk about it now!

our class teddy was stolen by pirates. He sent us a message in a bottle (in the water tray!) asking for help. The children were really motivated and wrote letters which we sent back to him (via the bottle in the water tray). The pirates then sent us a 'map' and instructions (with lots of positional language) to follow to find teddy. The children were so excited as we followed the trail and eventually found him hidden (dressed as a pirate) in the adventure playground!

This activity took place over several days and the children still talk about it now!

Many Thanks-I love this idea and it's not too late!-always on the look out for ways to encourage boys to write!!!!!!

Many Thanks-I love this idea and it's not too late!-always on the look out for ways to encourage boys to write!!!!!!

We did a similar thing to this aswell we had pirate Pete and his parrot Percy that the children wrote messages to send across the water they got regular replies back from him that Percy used to drop off in the outdoor area.

We had an area where the children could make their own treasure lots of foil, shiny bits and tape etc . We also hid some treasure in the sand and tied string across the tray to do co ordinates a- e 1-5 etc they had to draw or have a go writing what they found at each co-ordinate took lots of practice at first but they loved it.

I made pirate skittles out of pop bottles with numbers and pirate pictures on to which they had to write their score on the white board next to the skittle game.

Have fun !!

I once did supply in a reception class who were doing a pirate theme. Each day Pirate Pete left a message on a scroll for them to read with instructions for the day. The day that I was there there was a treasure chest full of booty (lots of costume jewelery) and Pirate Pete said he had stolen it because he needed money (it did say what for but I can't remember, was something like parrot food!) so we did a bit of a PHSE lesson about why it is wrong to steal. The children decided (with a little bit of steering!) that they would make some jewelery for Pete to sell so he could give back all that he'd stolen. Also in the note it said that his crew were rubbish at sharing and he wanted the children to help them to share out the jewels on the ship (They had made a huge cardboard ship, hats etc.)

So the children went off to play and the activities set up around the room were:

Supported by an adult- writing letters to pete explaining why he shouldn't steal and that he should give it all back and sell our jewelery instead;

In the creative area an assortment of beads, pasta, cut up plastic straws etc for threading to make necklaces and bracelets; Plastic jewels and several plastic bowls on the ship to be shared- there were problem cards with this, e.g. If there were 4 pirates how many jewels would they get each?

I'm sure there were more than that but I can't remember them. I do remember that the children were all really engaged and loved it! I was very impressed!

I once did supply in a reception class who were doing a pirate theme. Each day Pirate Pete left a message on a scroll for them to read with instructions for the day. The day that I was there there was a treasure chest full of booty (lots of costume jewelery) and Pirate Pete said he had stolen it because he needed money (it did say what for but I can't remember, was something like parrot food!) so we did a bit of a PHSE lesson about why it is wrong to steal. The children decided (with a little bit of steering!) that they would make some jewelery for Pete to sell so he could give back all that he'd stolen. Also in the note it said that his crew were rubbish at sharing and he wanted the children to help them to share out the jewels on the ship (They had made a huge cardboard ship, hats etc.)

So the children went off to play and the activities set up around the room were:

Supported by an adult- writing letters to pete explaining why he shouldn't steal and that he should give it all back and sell our jewelery instead;

In the creative area an assortment of beads, pasta, cut up plastic straws etc for threading to make necklaces and bracelets; Plastic jewels and several plastic bowls on the ship to be shared- there were problem cards with this, e.g. If there were 4 pirates how many jewels would they get each?

I'm sure there were more than that but I can't remember them. I do remember that the children were all really engaged and loved it! I was very impressed!

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Oh - how brilliant :1b

We have quite accidentally 'fallen into' a pirate theme - we don't really 'do' themes/topics - but this is 'following children's own interests' and we are having loads of fun! :1b

So I am going to 'borrow' fishcake's idea - right me hearties - off to compose a letter from the pirates - oh and need to draw a map too! xD

We've fallen into a pirate theme at the moment too! The children painted ships today (having drawn round a template) and then we had a great exercise in grading the sizes of the sails from large to small.

We've fallen into a pirate theme at the moment too! The children painted ships today (having drawn round a template) and then we had a great exercise in grading the sizes of the sails from large to small.

Ahoy there - well what a coincidence!!! :1b

Well.......never one to let the grass grow.........have made my letter.......have emailed headteacher at our primary school - she has agreed to play along - in fact, she was extremely enthusiastic :1b soooooo the pirates will have left our pre-school 'dog' at the primary school and we will follow the map - when I've drawn it :blink: xD right to the school - where he will be in the secretarys office :1b

Oh what fun - roll on Thursday! xD

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)