Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Who Does Your Pre-school Premises Cleaning?

Hello everyone

do your preschool staff clean the premises that you use or do you hire someone to come in?

We use the hall 5 days week all day, others use the hall some evening and most weekends. the church cleaner does not clean the hall, only the corridoors and main toliets which is open to the church parishionors (sp) lol

Would be grafeful to hear how other preschools manage their cleaning :)

Thanks in advance

The owners of the hall supply a cleaner, but only twice per week, however, not all cleaners have been as good as each other, our current one cleans no where near as well as the previous one. We clean the loos, mop floors etc. each day, the refrigerator that sort of thing. We don't have a vacuum cleaner so quite happy for the hall cleaner to do that and she/he empties the bins, (which again we do if they get a little smelly)

Hi the hall has a cleaner twice a week.

We risk assess and clean each day if required.[ six sessions]

Kitchen Assistants clean and dettox work surfaces daily before food preparation.

Staff team empty bins etc as part of our rota.

Sweep floors daily.

Have our own hoover for the pre-school carpets and rugs.

We have our own fridge now in our pre-school store, which is cleaned as we go.

Hope this helps. :o

no cleaner at all from the hall owners.. they rely on each group to do their own... Yeh right!

we were the only ones to ever clean although I did manage to get some groups 'thrown out' from using the hall as they left it filthy.. and I mean filthy!

Because of this we paid an hour a day at minimum wage for a cleaner to do all before we arrived - this included toilets, hall floors, kitchen and anything else.. bin we threw out the back door as we had our own and the hall caretaker dealt with them.. (everyone was supposed to empty it before leaving!) Sometimes it was a member of staff who wanted the extra money, we had a mum for a while and it paid for the sessions she wanted, a student from the college - actually it was one job we found easy to fill!

During holidays we left the hall but had to have a full day deep clean before we could start new term..yes it was that bad... staff came in - we paid them for the hours at their normal wage.. and parent committee came in to help...

All users of our building do own cleaning. Now only us and one session for a toy library.

We clean daily and deep clean each area over a 12 week term Staff paid extra at end of pm session to allow for this. As a school owned building rent is very low and includes all utilities and provision of cleaning materials as well as paper towels and toilet tissue. We are very lucky as we use what was the caretakers house and we tick lots of boxes for the community school.

Having said that we decorate, replace flooring and this summer will be funding new windows and doors to make the place a lot warmer.

korkycat

Our Village Hall is cleaned once every 2 weeks.

We anti-bac the kitchen at the beginning and end of each session

We empty the bins daily

We clean the ladies & disabled toilets (we don't use the mens)

We mop the toilet floors

We hoover the carpeted room daily

We sweep the wooden hall floor

Should we forget to do any of this then our Landlords come down on us like a tonne of bricks; however the state that others leave the hall doesn't seem to hold any relevance :o

Actually I'm beginning to see the end of my career at Pre-School and this is probably 1 of my top 5 of reasons for feeling this way.

Edited by thumperrabbit

Should we forget to do any of this then our Landlords come down on us like a tonne of bricks; however the state that others leave the hall doesn't seem to hold any relevance :o

this bit made me laugh.. so true of so many of us...and it should not be funny really except....

how we left it was not an issue.. unless someone had left a light on or heating turned up... but other hall users was another matter..

I got so fed up with it all that one Monday morning finding it in yet another filthy condition I went to the presbytery at 8am.. (just turns out is breakfast time for the priests.. ) and I dragged them out to see the hall and what we had to deal with... this was the first of many such interruptions they had to come and see the hall... this was how we had 2 groups stopped from using the hall as they never improved despite the warnings... Always remember one who when he saw me coming used to suddenly disappear or even run and hide!

ahh we got wise.. a second member of staff was deployed to complain... eventually he had no chance of avoiding us... things did improve a bit.. but they always refused to hire a cleaner of any kind, so we always had a very reasonable rent and if they tried to put it up we had ammunition as to the extra cost we were having due to their lack of a cleaner...

we did also keep a diary and photos of the hall for months as we left it and what it was like on return.. this too was useful in our complaining!

In a way it was also one thing too much for me.. the constant putting away etc was ok.. I liked the regular changes.. but cleaning up after others was the pits! hence the employing of a cleaner...

just a ps.. now I have left I often see the priest I terrorised.. he says how much he misses seeing me around and that it is not the same without me being there...what a nice man!

Edited by Inge

WOW!!!!

I feel lucky our hall is cleaned at 5am every day Mon-Fri

I clean the work surfaces, fridges and cooker as they are not up to what I believe a good standard

Our toilets are not always claened that well and the sinks are REALLY bad, so I give them a wipe where I feel they need it, particularly the toilet areas as its not only the children that use them we need too!

The cleaner is a man (SORRY MEN OUT THERE) his clean is not our clean and he believes bleach will do the job everytime, good job I wear old clothes as when setting up I often get bleach stains on me, (all dry when children arrive)

Funny really I am going to a hall meeting next week and the cleaning of the sinks and loos will be brought up, after what I have just read maybe I should shut up!!!!

Sue

We have just been discussing this issue at our pre-school. Like many out there there is no cleaner for the premises, other users are expected to leave it clean. Hah! What a joke!

There have been too many mornings where I come in to be greeted by unacceptable conditions and have to spend valuable time cleaning the hall and toilets which means we aren't as set up for the children as we'd like to be.

The question is - Can we afford a cleaner to come in each day?

At the moment we do it all. But the place looks generally poor. We keep the kitchen, toilets, floor clean. But you should see the dust behind the radiators, in the corners on the ceiling. The wooden floor is a disgrace but it is such a long, drawn out process getting anything done about it. Looks like we are now getting a grant to help towards a new one. It is supposed to be a community hall but where is the community to help keep the place looking good.

We are charged what I suppose is a very low rent - £1166 a year. For 38 weeks, 5 days a week for 5 hours per day. So it's very difficult for us to complain too much - we risk the rent being put up unreasonably. Equally, as Inge says we are in a strong position if they do want to put it up since we are going to have to look at hiring our own cleaner to come in before us in the morning - we have good ammunition.

As others have already said - it is the state of the building that gets to you - not the pack away'ness'.

Edited by Guest

The hiring of a cleaner 1 hr a day was a brilliant move by a committee member who saw us all struggling to get it all done in the mornings.. one hour a day was affordable.. minimum wage... (at one point she actually wanted to pay more for this than staff were getting and had to be put straight on a few things!) We were already buying all the cleaning stuff and had the equipment so in the end it was not overly expensive to do..

Goodness, just reading through this topic has reminded me of one of the main battles I don't miss now that I no longer run a playgroup!

The constant battle about the cleanliness of the hall was really draining. And after complaining about it, instead of other groups being watched and chastised, instead we were watched like hawks and any small thing out of place or scrap of dust left would have the hall caretaker berating us instead.

In answer to your question though, the staff did the cleaning but I like Inges idea of hiring one of the mums for a short stint every morning to do it. :o

Our caretaker is lovely. She cleans officially twice a week, but comes in most mornings to make sure the previous hirers have left it in a fit state for us! She is an absolute treasure.

Its the other hirers I find difficult to handle.

The other week we went in on Monday to find that the lovely chocolate biscuits that were in a tin had been removed and were in our cupboard just in the plastic tray liner. How rude - why would anyone think they could go into our cupboard and take our biscuit tin? Needless to say the biscuits themselves were no long fresh. Such a waste!

The constant battle about the cleanliness of the hall was really draining. And after complaining about it, instead of other groups being watched and chastised, instead we were watched like hawks and any small thing out of place or scrap of dust left would have the hall caretaker berating us instead.

I know that feeling! It is one thing I really don't miss now I'm not involved on a day to day basis. The building manager had me on speed dial at home and would always take an opportunity to have a dig about something.