Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eurovision - Love It Or Loathe It?

Well it is the eve of the Eurovision Song Contest and I find myself debating whether I will sit through it this year or not?

My children quite enjoy watching and mostly ridiculing much of what they see.....I think they learnt that from me who has been brain washed by Sir Terrance Wogan over many years :o

I am disturbed to hear Jedwood are 2nd favourites to win and if they do indeed win then I may never ever watch it again.

I am sure we all have Eurovison memories but those of us old enough to remember who can forget the year that Riverdance was the interval act...I just remember sitting there amazed at the wonderful blend of music and dance.

So if I do watch it Saturday (I probably will as I am not going out Sat night) who else will be and do you think we will get any points other than the points Ireland give us?

Sue

Yeah, Im a closet euro watcher (well not any more!), so Ill probably be watching if there is nothing else on

I do think we will get more votes this year as Blue are better known across Europe, and hasn't the voting changed again this year?

But then we do also have Dana International so as you say Sue, anything goes.

I havent watched it for years.

The last time I saw any part of it was when the Finnish group wearing masks won. I thought it was fab that someone other than a bland nothingness won.

In my opinion its the biggest waste of TV time ever to be expended, its very existance is trying to promote the Eurozone and to give Euro fat cats a reason for being and thus Brussels a reason to exist. The fact that Jedward are on is enough for me to not watch it, even for a laugh.

I couldnt stand the sanctamonious, waffling, drivel ridden, pompous Terry Wogan either.

So in answer to the question 'love it or loath it, on balance and after a great deal of reflection, bearing in mind I dont watch talent shows or celebrity shows due to the inane acts that we are subjected to, I would have to say I probably loath it. :o

xD

not likely to be watching it.. not watched for many a year...

I avidly watched and enjoyed it around the time we had 'Puppet on a string', Cliff, and Lulu with 'boom bang a bang' , new seekers, etc..

It was a time when we had Eurovision parties and all had a wonderful time dancing and bopping to them all as they came on.. pity any neighbours... as school friends we all took turns hosting it each year.. fun times...

Think the politics and way it is now run is so different than it used to be... you could have a really brilliant song but not get anywhere as you are not a neighbouring country or linked in some way.. hope they have changed the voting.. it needs doing..

and I hope we don't win .. the cost of hosting it is far too much.. always wanting to outdo the previous year. We have enough to cover the Olympics next year without this as well..

Bah humbug!

I'm not sure Dana International was through to the final.

Actually I quite enjoyed Jedward's act - I can't abide them, but it was suitably silly for Eurovision and I think it will be popular - I can think of several acts that were much worse. I was very taken with the one where there was a lady making sand pictures on a light table - I couldn't tell you what the song was like, I was just amazed at the pictures being created - the singer was just getting in the way!!!

I've never watched it before and have always thought it was a load of rubbish but this year a work colleague who's a eurovision fanatic is having a party and I originally agreed to go just because I've hijacked it as my birthday party but I thought I'd get into the spirit so have watched the 2 semi finals this week and I'm now fully converted! It's so funny! just like Sue I enjoyed laughing at the ridiculousness of some of the acts but also some of the songs are surprisingly catchy. Although I hate to admit it I do quite like Jedward's song... oh dear!

One thing I do find particularly silly about it is that the UK pay lots of money to get thru to the final without having to take part in the semi finals. I don't understand how that works but I do wonder where that money comes from...

Anyway, I have spent most of tonight making euro flag bunting to decorate my colleague's house with and am thoroughly looking forward to the party. I'm sure we'll all have a real laugh!

Missblinx that money comes from you and me- hence the automatic entry into the finals!!

:o

As I feared surfer... even more reason to watch it, we've got to at least get something for money!!

sorry to say it but the memory must be fading Gezabel...

Cliff came second with that one.. 1968...

and I did actually have it on.. first time in many moons... not changed at all.. just as bad as it always was...

Well....I sort of watched it......My hubby came home form work Friday with belly ache...took himself off to bed thinking mother nature would run it's course and all would be well....spent a sleepless night and we ended up going to see the on call doctor Sat am who diagnosed a suspected appendicitis. Transferred from doctors to hospital by ambulance and then after much prodding and poking... samples taken of many bodily fluids they decided the appendix had to go!

Finally go in to surgery 8pm in the evening where they removed a gangrenous appendix.....yuk!

I go home feeling quite exhausted by the whole days events and sat at the end of the sofa while eurovision happened around me. My son and several friends came in and a loud group of teenagers laughed and shouted at the voting as they had a little sweep stake thing going

I know Azerbaijan won but couldn't tell you if the song was good or not.....I know the UK didn't come last for a change.....and hubby is making a full recovery.....What a day :o

Guest Spiral

I'm sure you'd look fine in any outfit, however, be prepared, you never know what really makes them tick!

Tut, tut, this thread could really take a turn for the worse! :oxD:(:(:(

Spiral x

Guest Spiral
I'm sure you'd look fine in any outfit, however, be prepared, you never know what really makes them tick!

Tut, tut, this thread could really take a turn for the worse! :oxD:(:(:(

Spiral x

Ps, best of luck for his recovery x