Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking Childrens Progress

hi, new to the forum so hope i'm doing this right. i am trying to find a form or way of looking at a glance at the progress of all the children in the setting as they move through the eyfs. i've seen some on the internet but they spread over 10 or more pages...any ideas, please let me know

Sorry haven't seen anything but look forward to posts with interest we are trying to update what we are doing to make it easier Ha Ha

I think I remember our EY advisor saying use Progress Matters But i tried and it didn't work for us!

Sue

Hi henleyse -

It may be a bit of overkill but have you looked through the PRAMS program we created? It allows you to track progress over time and produce reports. You can find more information on it here.

Welcome to the FSF by the way!

Thanks for that Sunnyday, that just what I was looking for to send for info for leaver children in July, did a little edit and its saved me lots of time xD

Sue

But Sue, Kent have been giving out this form almost since EYFS came about! Perhaps it never got to your part of Kent :o

But Sue, Kent have been giving out this form almost since EYFS came about! Perhaps it never got to your part of Kent :o

I have never seen it so clearly written, so someone missed us off! Not surprised!

All those training sessions I have been on not a peep

I typed this one up - it is a bit long but we liked the way you can see progress - we use a different colour highlighter for each term. EYFS_Profile_for_preschools.doc

Oh wow, now that I like, as I know a lot of reception teachers don't know the detail of the development matters, so while we use a document similar to what has been previously attached, it doesn't mean much to them in terms of what children can actually 'do' at that age.

It must have taken you ages to type up, well done you, and thanks

Hi henleyse, welcome to the forum, make yourself at home.

Just to clarify, is it something that shows how the whole group of children are progressing (guessing from your title); or something that shows each individual child's progress?

The reason I'm asking is because there are many good examples for the latter, some of which have been shared here, but fewer for the former. PRAMS that Steve linked to above is very good for showing the progress of a group, or different groups eg boys, girls, etc.

hi ,i just thought i'd add my form for you to look at. i highlight each area as it is done and only half highlight the box if not completed area if that makes sense!!! i put children in date of birth order but then break it down when looking at boys girls sen etc. when i'm updating them.new_revised_table_for_progress_blank_copy.docx

Oh wow, now that I like, as I know a lot of reception teachers don't know the detail of the development matters, so while we use a document similar to what has been previously attached, it doesn't mean much to them in terms of what children can actually 'do' at that age.

It must have taken you ages to type up, well done you, and thanks

Glad you like it and hope you find it useful

hi ,i just thought i'd add my form for you to look at. i highlight each area as it is done and only half highlight the box if not completed area if that makes sense!!! i put children in date of birth order but then break it down when looking at boys girls sen etc. when i'm updating them.new_revised_table_for_progress_blank_copy.docx

Would some kind soul convert this please - I'd love to be able to see it.......

Dear Steve,

re Prams do I just download version 2 - version of 1 and top up with version 2 = it is quite late and have had a long morning.

Twinkle :o

Guest eck1975

Am reading this thread with interest as was going to post a similar query ...

I teach Reception and now find myself EYFS co-ordinator. Our Nursery teacher is on maternity leave, the person we have doing mat cover came from Y1. Just before our Nursery teacher went on maternity, we were told (by our Early Yrs Advisor) that she should be using Progress Monitor (which is downloadable from National Strategies) to record and track Nursery progress ... She filled it in with where she felt the chilren were at before she finished.

Our new teacher is really struggling to use it, to understand how to use her observations etc to feed into it. I have been looking if there are any training courses, but can't find any. I did find an e-learning module on it, on the national strategies website, which I found useful and have forwarded the link for her to go through. Progress Monitor and all of the lovely (and useful) sheets that you lovely people have shared show 'ages and stages'. However, our Head wants something which tracks children from beginning of Nursery to the end of Reception, and is asking for what scale points the Nursery children are at ... Our new Nursery teacher has now been given a lengthy (old-style) document with all of the areas of learning and strands, stepping stones and scale points on it, and has been asked to highlight it for each child.

Am just wondering what everyone passes/will pass to the Reception class at the end of the Nursery year?

Does anyone track from beginning of Nursery to the end of Reception, using scale points for Nursery?

Does anyone know of anything that combines ages/stages of development with scale points?

Does anyone know what data/tracking Ofsted would expect to see for Nursery? And whether they would expect to see data tracking from beginning of Nursery to end of Reception?

(... I haven't seen PRAMS ... and am just about to have a look at that)

Many thanks for your help and advice in advance :-)

xx

Hi there eck1975.

The important thing here for your head to realise is that the EYFSP is not intended to be used in nursery, and certainly not for tracking chidlren across the 2 years.

There was an article in last weeks nursery world explaining this here

You can still show progress through nursery using the development matters age bands, using some of the sheets suggested by member here, or with PRAMS or the national Strategies Progress Matters.

This is explained really well in this article by Kate Cahill here.

I hope that helps.

Hmmmm..........a large gin and tonic.......no into 'old format' xD

OK, beaten to the conversion by the look of it. Did you know you can install a 'compatibility pack' so that your version (presumably Word 2003?) of MS Word will open docx files? You can find it here.

Dear Steve,

re Prams do I just download version 2 - version of 1 and top up with version 2 = it is quite late and have had a long morning.

Twinkle :(

Hi Twinkle -

No, just download version 2 - PRAMS v1 shouldn't be available any more unless I've been very careless! :o

Hi all, i am really interested in some of these brilliant sheets to record progress. I am the nursery teacher of our school and all of EYFS use target trackers Early years version which is excellent at keeping track and producing reports in different formats. We have just had Ofsted and we were able to print of reports that show the progress over time for Nursery children and reception. I have to say the ofsted inspector had never seen these for Nursery so was quite impressed! Our version uses the DM statements so just saves me highlighting 52 children on paper. However, we have just been asked by SLT to record their progress for reviews onto the same paper work as the rest of the school, which means using ISP levels and colours and will make it look like all of our children are underachieving. Has anyone got any ideas of how we can record it to show where they are as it seems they are not happy using the target tracker print outs.

Thanks

Guest eck1975

Thank Mundia, both interesting articles ... and what I have tried to say (to SMT) is the case ... but think I am going to have a hard job convincing SMT, esp as Head says this is what SIP/Ofsted expect!?

Gonna try and attatch our sheet, we have been using this for years for ourselves

sorry it would not attatch!!!!!!!!! blonde moment again, i have managed photo's in the past!! :o

Edited by Suer

wow these are great ideas! I have been trying to do something like this for ages, but only managed to do a few development matters instead of the full lot. This will be so helpful!

Thanks to all :o

Thank you very much - very helpful! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)