Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Are Your Thoughts?

Hi

We have recently had an Ofsted inspection, and our inspector has recommended that the children come in and sit on the mat and we discuss all the activities that are out that day, at the moment they self register and choose what they want to do,

The inspector said that she feels we need to discuss the activites on offer to help them choose what to do, she linked this in to highscope! her comment was "How do the children know what is out?"

I just wondered what others do, at the moment it workes well as we do a circle time at the end but she has now got me thinking!!!!

Hmm, so you are effectively 'pulling them away' from something they've got started with, to make them sit, when they are still in 'meet and greet' mode?

Our children come in, register, choose a book to take home, put slippers on and run off to play. Once everyone's in, any adult- led activity starts, children notice this and when there's a pause, the activity leader might call out "Does anyone else want to....."

Children explore what's on offer, and quickly notice if there's something different out

Crikey! :o we are waiting for our very overdue inspection and we certainly don't do that!

Like you, our children are greeted (by me) at the door...they enter the room (with or without their parent/carer whichever they are comfortable with)......my deputy is waiting for them...she greets them....they self-register and then it's off to do whatever they choose......this seems to work very well for us........if any children need any 'extra help' a third staff member is on hand to help....

"How do they know what is out".......well I would say that they can see what's out :(

Hmmm - really not sure about this......I can't think where this is described in the EYFS documents :( is it?

Will watch this thread with interest! xD

Our children come in, self register, choose what they want to play with, hopefully attracted by an attractive adult-led activity on offer during the course of the session, children are invited to take part at intervals when passing by should they choose to do so. Our children don't sit down to circle time until 10.30 am. Children come into the setting sometimes between 10-15 minutes between the first and last, I don't think it is fair to expect children to wait that long or alternativley to take children away from something they have just chosen to play with.

We're the same. Children in, self-register and then look at what is available and find what they want to do. In fact it would be impossible, since we do not run 'sessionally' and children can arrive and leave according to the exact time the parents have booked them in for.

If any child looks unsure about what is on offer, we can tell/show them individually.

As all practitioners know, children just want to get in and get on. I think making them wait and be told would really frustrate them. It also does not allow for staff to have time to settle new children, listen to the umpteen messages parents want to give etc. etc.

Gruffalo2

Now that is an interesting one, well thats exactly what we do simcity, last time Ofsted came they didn't like them sitting on the carpet as it was too long, can't win springs to mind.

Saying that the children very quickly look around the room and go off with what first interests them, any looking alittle unsure will be guided by their keyperson.

This works well with the children that we presently have, but we are waiting for the knock on the door, so will let you know. :o

Guest Spiral

I'd be thinking along the lines of; they came, they saw, and now we'll carry on doing what the team feel is right for the children.

You know what works well and why,

Spiral

Thank you so much for your comments, it good to hear that others do what we do...... :o

What we do works well, i did say to her that children can see whats out and if we see a child looking lost/unsure an adult would talk to them and discuss what they would like to do, she still insisted on sitting them all down at the start !!!!!!!

she also mentioned having a visual timetable for the day on the wall..... but children have free choice in the rooms, they choose what they want to do, they know the routine, they know when the snack bar opens and closes etc..........so do others put out a visual timetable of what is on offer that day?

She has got me re-evaluating what we do but i seem to do that all the time nowdays....especially since doing my EYPS...

Hi,

We used to run just as you all do until beginning of last term. We decided to bring an earlier circle time after everyone's arrived. It's been running a term now and is working really well. We always keep the general structure the same:

1 - Some type of 'Hello' game

2 - Share any Wows (Thanks Cait - we love these) and special things

3 - Talk about any particular activities for the morning

4 - Choose children to be in the Snack Team (to help prepare snack)

5 - Finish on an action song

So, children arrive at 9am and are greeted by us all as they come in. They self register and go off to play then after around 15/20 minutes we get back together for circle time. Children know they can return to what they were doing afterwards and they come quickly now to the circle. We keep it snappy and continually press the 'refresh' button to keep the kids interested and excited by circle time. It seems to work really well as a launch into the morning.

Hi,

We used to run just as you all do until beginning of last term. We decided to bring an earlier circle time after everyone's arrived. It's been running a term now and is working really well. We always keep the general structure the same:

1 - Some type of 'Hello' game

2 - Share any Wows (Thanks Cait - we love these) and special things

3 - Talk about any particular activities for the morning

4 - Choose children to be in the Snack Team (to help prepare snack)

5 - Finish on an action song

So, children arrive at 9am and are greeted by us all as they come in. They self register and go off to play then after around 15/20 minutes we get back together for circle time. Children know they can return to what they were doing afterwards and they come quickly now to the circle. We keep it snappy and continually press the 'refresh' button to keep the kids interested and excited by circle time. It seems to work really well as a launch into the morning.

We also do similar to this. Sometimes the children will bring items/resources that they have been using into the circle with them and put them under their chairs - but mostly they know the routine and just spend the brief period of time 'cruising and checking out' .........often they then tell us what's out for the day!!!

You see this is what I love (not) about Ofsted Inspectors....when they inspect and start to try and suggest methods that are their own particular 'ideals'.......I have told myself that i won't get into any arguing with our next inspector....some hope if he/she comes out with methods that we don't use and as far as I can see don't need.

If it works well for some groups that's great and it's always interesting to hear what others do......

We don't have a 'visual timetable' - I would, however accept that they are suggested 'somewhere' within the EYFS......our 'routine' is not 'set in stone'.......so I'm not sure that it would be particularly helpful to us........for example....we can't 'freeflow' so we have to out to play altogether.....usually this will be after snack time (oh dear - we don't do 'rolling snack' either) but if it's a particularly hot day we will go out first thing before the sun gets too high........sometimes we will go out for a group walk or a visit to the primary school etc.etc.

When did she impart these words of wisdom - during verbal feedback or is it mentioned in your report? Unless she could see and identify a real problem with your current system then I really feel that this is completely unnecessary.....why oh why do they have to try to re-invent the wheel :o

We do exactly what you do and got Outstanding in February - I can't believe that the inspectors are so inconsistent - or can I :o

We don't have a visual timetable as I could not think how it was possible when everything is freeflow and we have rolling snack. We do have mini visual routines eg going to the toilet, flushing, washing and drying hands.

Carry on doing exactly what you are doing!!!!!

Well I thought that Ofsted were not to allowed to advise, their remit is to inspect only.

That was what I was told when I worked for our LA some years ago and see no reason why this would have changed. They do talk to LA top dogs about what they are looking for which gives our advisors (whatever the title they go by in each county) a clue about what advice to give.

We were told the same as you some years ago but I cant remember if it was Ofsted or an LA advisr.

Our children come in, self register and then get a book on the mat where staff are sitting, while everyone else arrives. After aformal register they are told what activities are available that day, have aquick chat if something is mentioned and then play.

The Ofsted inspector in Dec. thought the children have too much formal sitting, register, snack, circle time, so I suggested to the playleader that they come in and just play. She said when they used to do that the parents didnt get chance to say goodbye because they were off playing and it was more difficult to check everyone had arrived and stayed not followed mom through the door in all the bustle. Staff want to keep it too, they like the meeting at the mats and the small group chats as everyone is getting a seat and choosing a book.

It works for us and our parents, although I do recall when I worked there having the children go straigh to play and I know it worked well.

You could always try it for the last half term.

Our children are greeted on the door by me and they self register then they sit in on mats for a welcome we sing a welcome song children show what they have bought in we choose helpers for snack etc and then we talk about the theme if there is one or what might be going on

in September/October our welcome would have been slightly different for the new ones we would introduce resources, also over those 2 terms we would talk about hand washing rules and so on

by now everyone is settled and knows what about so we talk about what is normally about but what we might be doing

we meet at the end of the seeion to say goodbye and if time what we have done or enjoyed most

waffled a bit sorry

Edited by Suer

The problem with going straight to the mat is that small children are squiggly, and they won't sit long enough for all their friends to join them. And some staff have to be on door, not all supervising squiggly children doing nothing.

Our children do the following

arrive, hang up their coats

self register

play - inside

once the door has been locked approx 10-15mins we have our mat time

We have had about 4 different LEA advisors over the past couple of years and they have all had different opinions on whether we should do this or shouldn't, I always thought for us it was mainly due to the 2yr olds and it being too long to sit (our children are 2-4yrs)

BUT we like it, the children like it, the parents like it, so we've done the ''I'll take on board what you've said and we will have a think'' route and just kept it as it is :o

I so agree with all said. Ofsted inspectors should only look and keep "opinions" to themselves, but unfortunately they are looking at the setting through thier eyes and it is their opinion that they base their report on. If only they could come up with an inpsection that was more "tick boxed" and less opinions of the inspectors then we would all have the same goal posts to work to.

We have just worked with another setting and were surprised that our child assessments were more thorough than there's but we only got critism from our inspector. we shared our paperwork with other setting and they got outstanding!!! so am lost on why the difference.

maybe with all the changes to the EYFS the inspection might take on a fairer method of assessing us!!!!

Pigs might fly tomorrow as well lol