Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Next Years Funding

lynned55

Have just heard that our funding for next year wont change. Which is kind of a relief as I was dreading a cut in our per head grant. But no change and we also still get the additional deprivation fund, qualification extra ( so much extra for Managers that are L4/5 or 6) and each setting will still get £1300 admin grant, that is payable in the summer term.

So anyone else heard yet?

I phoned our LA on Friday couldn't 'not know' for any longer! I was told ours won't be changing either - like you i was just relieved that it wasn't being reduced!

Edited by Daisydoo

Huge relief for us too that it is staying roughly the same. We will have a very slight increase to account for changes in our deprivation rate which takes into account the home addresses of our current children. Makes me wonder if we should actively advertise in less affluent areas!

We've known for some time, had about a year of consultations and voted on which supplements we wanted included!!! Our base rate stays the same which we have known from day one, we get a deprivation supplement based on demographics-how many post codes in each area our classed as 'deprived' and a flexibility supplement for how we have implemented the 15 hours! A quality supplement will kick in next year I believe and be based on the classification (RAG) ratings per setting. We had a full cost analysis over a year ago that was carried out in each setting and the figures are based on these.

Would like to know what other's get per head across the country as I sometimes think I'm missing something, the SFF works in our favour and am obviously aware of nurseries closing and pulling out, so, our base rate is £3.54, for us personally with supplements, we will recieve £3.72 per head, per hour. How does this compare? According to our cost analysis each child costs us £4.21 per hour, we have lots of stand alone places but overall we are not losing money.

Well ours is 3.60 per hour, plus we get 6 or 8p per child deprivation fund depending on their postcode, which we cannot quite work out. We've even had children living in the same road but given different amounts. We also get £1300 admin fee per annum and a qualification supplement which is something like Managers qualified to L4 gets the setting £750, L5 £4k & L6 is £5/6k.

Mine is £4.03 an hour, including quality enhancement for having EYPS and all staff qualified to Level 3. No deprivation supplement because we have no children that qualify.

No idea whether there will be anything to replace Graduate Leadership Fund.

I had an email yesterday £3.52 for Lincolnshire, from what I can tell there are no supplements for having a graduate leader or outstanding RAG or OFSTED which is what I thought was originally going to happen. Is that what fellow Lincolnshire peeps are understanding too.

I liked the bit where it said in my letter that they would like settings to be graduate led where the graduate is supernumeracy and there are 3 other staff to 24 children. How can I afford that then!?

I liked the bit where it said in my letter that they would like settings to be graduate led where the graduate is supernumeracy and there are 3 other staff to 24 children. How can I afford that then!?

Quite the little comedians aren't they? Being led by a supernumeracy graduate made me laugh anyway :oxD:( :(

Our quality supplement is on hold for now as the authority is doing it's best to keep funding the same. Our Graduate Leader Fund isn't being replaced with anything but the authority is keeping our children's centres operating on pretty much the same basis as now I believe. It does mean that I am losing my job as a supernumerary graduate leader, well as anything actually, but we (the setting) had been viewing that as a luxury anyway.

" I liked the bit where it said in my letter that they would like settings to be graduate led where the graduate is supernumeracy and there are 3 other staff to 24 children. How can I afford that then!?"

Obviously the Graduate Leader is also a magician!!!

Cake and eat it springs to mind!

Cait - I'm presuming thats a significantly lower figure than this year, how will you all manage?

Why is there such a discrepancy across the country - surely they're saving money by funding LEA settings by occupancy and not registered places and won't the government have dished out the same to every LEA - does anyone know where the difference is going?

Why is there such a discrepancy across the country - surely they're saving money by funding LEA settings by occupancy and not registered places and won't the government have dished out the same to every LEA - does anyone know where the difference is going?

I'm amazed by the difference to be honest. I have to say in our LA's favour, and trust me I don't often have a positive word, every setting had a visit way back when. It involved a full financial analysis that worked out (from data across the year) the average cost per setting/child/hour. This is what the formula has been built upon.

Only two maintained settings in the area and these are receiving a subsidy to be gradualy reduced over the next three terms to allow them to make the neccessary adjustments to their costs.

Also the funding for early years isn't ring fenced so each LA can choose where to place the money and where to cut back. It's a real worry reading some of your responses, b##### hypocrites, how dare they strand up and tell us what a priority early years is in a climate like this.

I had an email yesterday £3.52 for Lincolnshire, from what I can tell there are no supplements for having a graduate leader or outstanding RAG or OFSTED which is what I thought was originally going to happen. Is that what fellow Lincolnshire peeps are understanding too.

yes, i got the email too and was interested in the following.....

• Qualified teachers and Graduate Leaders have been assigned to the main teacher pay scale, which will provide transparency between the sectors and will help drive quality in settings by having staff with the appropriate level of qualifications. [/i]

this so called 'transparency' is clear....pvi settings get the rate 'they deserve' and maintained settings the higher figure (£5.09). I do realise that maintained settings (especially nursery schools) have to pay a headteacher and depending on the size of the school 2 teachers, but when supposedly, graduate leaders are on the same level as qualified teachers....where on earth is the money going to come from to pay them at a comparable rate which they most rightly SHOULD be paid. I have spent 4 years studying for my foundation degree and top up year and now have another 6 months looming in front of me to qualify for the EYPS and it simply is not fair that my pay does not reflect all this hard work and commitment....my life has been on hold for the last 4 years (and my own children have had to take a back seat too)...sorry rant over

I have spent 4 years studying for my foundation degree and top up year and now have another 6 months looming in front of me to qualify for the EYPS and it simply is not fair that my pay does not reflect all this hard work and commitment....my life has been on hold for the last 4 years (and my own children have had to take a back seat too)...sorry rant over

I know exactly how you feel and am of the same mind and situation but just finishing foundation degree. I KNOW that as a private company we simply can't afford to pay me any more at the end of this year, we've heard nothing nothing regarding funding for graduate leaders and in our area and voted that the formula was not based on qualifications. Pay will, never be the same as those on council pay scales.

In our area we are getting 10p per child per hour extra for having a leader who is currently doing EYP. Our rate is £3.53, I think that is staying the same but need to check.

There are deprivation supplements but we are not in a deprived area so won't get them.

Don't know how you manage on £2 something Cait! That is madness!!

Worth remembering that nursery teachers would be in a much higher ratio, not to say this is right or that you guys with EYP shouldn't get paid the same but in effect they give a setting 'value' by being able to have more children per adult. Personally I wouldn't open our doors if we only had 1 adult for 13 children, it's far too much, but I don't make the rules.

Sadly I think it will be a long while before EYP is made in any way comparable financially and terms and conditions wise to having QTS.

yes, i got the email too and was interested in the following.....

• Qualified teachers and Graduate Leaders have been assigned to the main teacher pay scale, which will provide transparency between the sectors and will help drive quality in settings by having staff with the appropriate level of qualifications. [/i]

this so called 'transparency' is clear....pvi settings get the rate 'they deserve' and maintained settings the higher figure (£5.09). I do realise that maintained settings (especially nursery schools) have to pay a headteacher and depending on the size of the school 2 teachers, but when supposedly, graduate leaders are on the same level as qualified teachers....where on earth is the money going to come from to pay them at a comparable rate which they most rightly SHOULD be paid. I have spent 4 years studying for my foundation degree and top up year and now have another 6 months looming in front of me to qualify for the EYPS and it simply is not fair that my pay does not reflect all this hard work and commitment....my life has been on hold for the last 4 years (and my own children have had to take a back seat too)...sorry rant over

I know - I'm a teacher with EYPS - I know I certainly won't be paid on the teachers scale, as much as my manger would like to (who is also my mum!) If I was I'd be able to stop my day and a half teaching at school which I do to boost my income.

Have you been told about staff training yet?

Edited by laura

We get letters about training 'inviting' us to attend, but if we don't they cut our funding. Initially we were told that there would be a 'core' of things we had to do, such as safeguarding, first aid etc. but there seems to be more and more creeping in - and it peeves me no end.

So sorry for the multiple typos, up too late again!

Have you been told about staff training yet? - How do you mean Laura?

Just wondering if you know how many days training staff have to do in order to keep the funding. We've got to do three each with no staff cover being given this year - i know we have been very lucky to get it up to now, it'll be fun covering it with no increase in funding now though.

As far as I'm aware we don't have to commit to training be registered on the directory! We do safeguarding and first aid 3 yearly and access any training laid on by the LA, which up to now has been excellent, that I see as being of benefit to the setting.

I'm surprised at how LA's differ, would now be a factor for me if I was applying for a job somewhere else I reckon!

We get letters about training 'inviting' us to attend, but if we don't they cut our funding. Initially we were told that there would be a 'core' of things we had to do, such as safeguarding, first aid etc. but there seems to be more and more creeping in - and it peeves me no end.

Cait - our LA tried to bring this in a few years ago but settings created such a fuss about the fact that training wasn't up to standard, at appropriate level or just that some preferred to do in house training or use outside trainers that they have dropped this clause now to be a more simple "evidence of staff CPD". In our area lots of private settings do run their own in house training which is accredited by national training organisations so this might have helped the case but it might be worth challenging it, even if for your own setting. Mind you maybe we should be careful what we wish for as now our LA offers very little training outside the core and it tends to still be of low quality!

Yes, I take your point Holly. I really wouldn't object if it was core training, I can understand that and agreed to it at the meeting I went to before SFF came on line. I really think that our EYQISP result should be taken into account, I mean if they have graded us really good (or whatever their banding is) in something like letters and sounds, or completing progress records, why should we then be 'invited' to undertake mandatory training on it? Surely it would save the County money if we DIDN'T attend and continued to manage our own training in these areas?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)