Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Caffeinated Beverages

I have recently been speaking to my teacher cousin in Australia. At his high school (not sure if it's nation or state wide though) all caffeinated beverages are banned!! No coffee, tea, cola, iced coffee. That includes the staff room.

It's about setting good examples for the children.

Discuss.

Honey

Ok just a comment here... and I may be the only one who feels this way, but the word discuss used in this way on a forum always stops me replying... its like being told I must reply for some reason.. particularly when the original post does not give their own opinion on it..

I do not mean to be critical or upset anyone,( particularly Honey) but just put my opinion ..I always feel a much friendlier approach encourages me to reply , like... I think, how do you feel, or similar...

is it just me showing my age ?

sorry to hijack.. back to original question

( have had lots of thought about if I should post this, but going to anyway... )

Inge I understand your comments re the posting style but I am happy to let HoneyPancakes off on this occassion as she usually asks so nicely :o

For me....I couldn't get through my day without at least one beverage with caffeine in it.

Why are they trying to stop the pupils...do they feel it makes them less focused or too buzzed?

:(xD:o Gosh I'm always ready to discuss anything when ever I'm asked. I guess I have an opinion on everything!!

This is MADNESS. I could not get through the day without endless cups of tea. If that was my school I would be leading the rest of the staff out on strike.

Watch out, because the day will come when as an educator you cannot be:

- Underweight

- Overweight

- Seen eating chocolate or sweets

- Seen in a pub

- Seen wearing tight clothing

- Heard swearing

And so on ...

Yes, be a role model in terms of politeness, creativity, etc. but please don't let big brother go this far!

I think it might be the old age 'problem' of communicating in print as opposed to face to face.

I can see why you took it the way you did Inge but I took it as being sort of 'tongue in cheek' or a play on the use of the word 'discuss' as it is used regularly in assignments. Whatever it is I am sure it is not your age :o

As for my response to the original post I agree generally with staff being good role models for children. Having said that I think the total ban is a step too far. I think setting a good example is perhaps not achieved by simply banning something, especially for high school children, surely educating them on healthy choices would be better?

I personally would object to being told what I can and can't do in when not with the children and as for me working anywhere where I can't get a cup of coffee during the day it would have to be a no no!!

Sincere apologies. I just thought there would be strong feelings out there that it would be amusing to see them aired. I meant it with an ironic wink.

I don't have any real feelings on the matter, but I do hide my husband's cola cans. I also don't go out of my way to hide my coffee.

I do love my coffee and it would be hard for me to give up, but smokers have had to do the hard yards in recent years so maybe it is time for caffeine addicts to do the same? Ahhhhgggg!

Honey

I once read of the disadantages of drinking lots of coffee. I have about 5 small cups of espresso a day. After reading the article I tried to stop, but I had headaches, arrived at destinations having no idea of the route I'd taken and was a general snappy madam to everyone. By all means ban my coffee but be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Banning something to set a good example sets the example that everyone must follow the leader, no-one can be individual and Big Borther really is watching everything. I'd be appaled at even the suggestion that state (local or national) can dictate what I drink.

Ludicrous decision.

As to smokers, I smoke. I'm quite happy to smoke outside, it really hasnt bothered me at all.

No apology needed, I was really just giving my feelings on the matter, I know it is used in assignments a lot but feel this is different..

anyways.. my two penneth...

i cannot see how anyone consuming it where the children are not present can really have an effect on their consumption of it..

however in front of them is a different matter... I can see why they have looked at this and decided to make the decision..

caffeine is a known stimulant and in some can cause more issues than others, by removing it they 'could' end up with a calmer environment..

My poor son seems to have loads of problems when I recount them but not really.. as a point he was ( still is at 26 ) one of those who caffeine really affected , he was hyper anyway , so had lots of dietary restrictions which he grew up with and caffeine was just one of a long list of things he never had... and still avoids...

Rea and I crossed posts...

yes also coffee can be addictive and need proper withdrawal plan ,when my husband drank coffee, he was somewhere that used decaf and didn't know.. wondered why he felt so ill, tired, sleepy , headaches.. took me a bout 3 days to work out the coffee issue.. back onto 'proper' coffee and all cured in 2 cups.. we did wean him off coffee by using decaf mixed in by small amounts until completely off coffee, and now he never drinks it!

but my BIL is same with chocolate which has similar effcet.. he needs it every day or has quite dramatic withdrawal symptoms... didnt believe it until I saw it

Watch out, because the day will come when as an educator you cannot be:

- Underweight

- Overweight

- Seen eating chocolate or sweets

- Seen in a pub

- Seen wearing tight clothing

- Heard swearing

And so on ...

Well, obviously.....I am ideal weight, never eat 'rubbish', the pub - perish the thought, clothes all fit beautifully, swearing - no never! :o

On the other hand Sunny I am an overweight alcoholic smoker who swears like a trooper. Lucky I passed that suitable person interview ... now pass me another beer it's Friday lunchtime :o

When I was teaching secondary we had an issue with the sixth formers choosing to use the same pub as the staff. In the end of we had to tell them that it was OUR pub and they should go elsewhere. xD

Maybe slightly off topic but just made me think. When my four sons were little it never entered my head to give them either tea or coffee. I can't remember ever introducing them to it either!

Now as adults (28-32yrs) my eldest drinks coffee but not excessively, second son drinks neither but has occasionally had a cup of tea when offered whilst out, third son is a bit of a tea addict and my youngest has never drunk tea or coffee and isn't interested!

Well...........I just knew I was right when I said I had no interest in emigrating to Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(obviously I took the comment as tongue in cheek :oxD:( )

xxxxx

My sister in laws husband makes a living from running a coffee shop!!!!! they live in sydney :(

Maybe slightly off topic but just made me think. When my four sons were little it never entered my head to give them either tea or coffee. I can't remember ever introducing them to it either!

Now as adults (28-32yrs) my eldest drinks coffee but not excessively, second son drinks neither but has occasionally had a cup of tea when offered whilst out, third son is a bit of a tea addict and my youngest has never drunk tea or coffee and isn't interested!

Do you know Gezabel, mine are the same - middle one did drink tea when offered when doing a window cleaning round at age of 16, but rarely drinks it now, may have the odd coffee.

I can remember having headaches etc. when I holidayed in Cyprus a few years ago, it took us a couple of days to work out it had been the lack of caffiene that did it - that being said I only really drink tea (2/3 cups per day) and the odd latte if I am out.

I'm against banning anything as it usually makes it more "wanted". Everything in moderation as Cait's dear Grandmother would have said.

110% off topic...........

.................. but are any of them single? I am soooooooooo looking for a partner for my 26yr daughter!!!

xxxx

Three spoken for but one going spare :o He is tall dark and handsome (of course!!!) aged 29 and currently foot lose and fancy free or whatever the expression is. He works as a police officer in the Met and works long, unsociable hours though!

Tea does also have some health giving properties, as does Red wine. I am sticking to both, though only one whilst actually at work. Incidentally I also sometimes have white bread, have kiwi fruit every day, eat chocolate biscuits with my tea, and all manner of other things. I am not overweight, rarely get ill and hope to live to a ripe old age through sensible consumption of whatever I feel like. (Except perhaps illegal drugs).

Surely it's all about how, where, when.....

I think I'd lose the whole team if this was introduced (including myself)! Our days start on fast forward and end that way too, I always say to anyone who moans at work about being tired by the end of the day or week that if they weren't I'd know they were not doing their job properly :o

Saying that, we obviously smoke off site, not in uniform and take measures to diguise the fact on returning to the setting, if I'm in my car having a quick one and see a child/parent I do try and hide what I'm doing too!!! We don't do that with tea and coffee, I'm not sure the children are aware that we're in the kitchen glugging caffiene fueled drinks to get us through the afternoon anyway! We pour fizzy drinks into glasses, especially coke, energy drinks etc. I've been drinking diet coke for years for it's caffiene,,,,,only just read the ingrdiants last week,,,,no b***** caffiene in it!!!!!!

All seems a bit much to me, maybe it's with older children???

Anyway, I'm off to finish my coffee and fag!!!!

Edited by Guest

Gosh it seems the profession is squeezing us in to being 'dehumanised' and 'perfect' (not sure through whose eyes though!)

I'd like to see the policy makers lead by example and give up their vices first :o

Not a smoker or coffee drinker but touch my chocolate... xD:(

I get the not drinking it infront of them, particularly older students - it would be hypocritical if I could and they couldn't and I wouldn't want to teach a class full of teenagers who were drinking and snacking!

Edited by gingerbreadman

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)