Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Ratios

Hi! Can anyone tell me if it is correct to have only 2 members of staff on the premises with 13 children and no other members of staff to call on! Is this legal?

Depends how old the children are. Which bit bothers you - only having two staff members on duty or the ratio?

Its not good practice - but if they are over 3s is legal - what you need to think about is if one member of staff is dealing with a nappy change/accident/ incident that leave one member of staff on thier own - not good practice if an allegation/accident were to happen :o - plus what qualifications the staff have - never mind the phone ringing or door bell going......

Its not good practice

Ouch! xD But providing you're legal, sometimes that's the only way. Thankfully I can usually be around to provide that extra cover, and I am envious of having 13 children at any one time! :o

as said with over 3s very legal.. you can have up to 16 children with 2 staff - we often had 12 - but tended to get another staff member at 13 - at the time it was when the income actually funded the 3rd staff member ..

Hi,

This is my first post on here, but I have been reading all of your wonderful advice and am hoping you can help me!

I am in the process of opening a playgroup and am looking at staffing options.

I will have a maximum of 16 children at any one time (10 3-4yr olds and 6 2yr olds).

I was just wondering if I would be in within the ratio's if I had myself as the manager (level 5, foundation degree), a level 3, a teaching assistant working towards nvq level 3 and unqualified member of staff working towards an nvq level 2 qualification?

Looking forward to your answers!

HI

I run a preschool and just opened a 2nd one close by because of the demand. We are registered for 26 children each session and I have 6 staff which is over ratio, and financially difficult when we have the majority of 3's with funding! but with our 2 year olds this helps greatly. Run with 1:4 for 2 year olds and 1:8 when we have a group of 3 year olds. I would never just have 2 staff with 16 children - not good for H&S etc - all depends on finances of course. Fundraising is a must!

If you need any more help please contact me. We set up 6 years ago. JO

Hi Jo,

I am opening after summer holidays. I was thinking of having myself (level 5), a level 3 and a trainee working towards level 2. Do you think that would be within ratio's. I will be having 16 children (10 3-4yr olds and 6 2-3yrs olds)

Thanks

Edited by klc106

I have a mixed aged Toddler room with some children under two and some children over two. How I manage my ratios is count up all the children under two and have the apporpriate number of staff and then all the children over two and have the appropriate number of staff. Can be a bit frustrating if you have just one child under 2 and you have to have an extra staff memember, but it seems to work for us.

Am I right in thinking that someone who is working towards level 2 can be counted in staff ratio's?

Also, would having a level 5, level 3 and a working towards level 2, be ok with the EYFS guidance:

"all supervisors and managers must be qualified to at least level 3 and half of all other staff must be qualified to at least level 2"

I just want to make sure I am doing it right!