Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reflecting On Quality

I was just wondering if anyone has started this scheme? I did the old PLA Scheme 3 years ago, so time to renew. Just briefly looking through the pack it looks a nightmare to do and requires a team of people with a lot of spare time !

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by the huge response it seems no one on here has tackled this yet! I telephoned the PLA today to ask how many settings were going through the process and their response was currently 200 groups.

Having already achieved a level 3 accreditation , I thought it would be fairly easy to renew. However the scheme has been changed and it now appears I have to go through all 3 stages again, at a rough estimate of about 18 months to 2 years.

I am currently deciding if it is worth it and if the staff team want to be involved in accreditation meetings to complete the necessary stages. :o

Oh goodness! We did our local authority one 3 years ago so are also considering renewing - but it was a horrendous amount of work at the time and I haven't seen any particular benefits really. We reflect on our practice and have the SEF to help us formalise this. Ofsted weren't interested in it particularly other than a casual 'oh well done', so I'm with you on this one! We probably won't be renewing

I can never understand why, once accreditation has been achieved, that there is no way to do a "top-up" every 2 years or so. With all the other calls on our time, the dedication needed to start over would have to be very great, especially if there had in the intervening time been no obvious benefits.

Oh you lucky people - a meeting to convince you of the benefits of quality schemes. Let me know if they mention the work involved and if you think I should pursue again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an assessor for the RoQ scheme.

Settings I have assessed have felt that it was worth the effort if that's any help. It helped bring the staff together as a team eg in terms of ALL of them looking at quality improvement rather than the management team.

It is monitored/reviewed as the aim is for settings to continue the cycle of reflecting and improving and not just resting on their laurels once they have the accreditation. Plus, staff and committee changes can make a huge difference to a setting so 3 years after an accreditation we can see a very different setting.

It is a lot of work but it feeds into Quality Framework and SEF and all teh practitioners involved have the opportunity to be accredited individually now.

However, I am also the manager of a setting and also looked at the book from that view point and also thought I just don't have time at the moment!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I went too.

I think I'm going to ask her (Andrea?) if she'll come and have a chat at our setting. Thinking of going for it - mainly to try and get the staff more involved in the 'otherside' of the daily running of setting (if that makes sense!!)

I was the first one to leave!! Had two girlies at home not very well!!

Have to say I'm thinking of getting Andrea to come in aswell, I can see the benefits of all the team being involved and I also felt it would support reflective practice which staff (and me) can always do with extra knowledge!!

Kris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm going to the meeting anyway - well they're bound to have coffee and biscuits!!!!! xDxDxD

I am going on Thursday too as I have never applied for a scheme before and thought it might identify areas of improvement that I might have missed (obviously not intentionally). I will see what I think. Where can I obtain a pack from that would tell me what exactly is involved? I did ask my PLA advisor a few weeks ago and have had nothing back as yet so am slightly disappointed as I would have liked some information about it prior to the meeting.

• 1 month later...

We completed the PLA ROQ. As a small setting, all working together in one large room and an outside area, i believe that it was a waste of time. It says it should mean no more paperwork, but it does. In the end, we stopped doing the things that it wanted us to, that we didn't agree with and we still passed.

Initially we only signed up because a) it was free and b ) there was a rumor that you had to be accredited to continue to receive government funding, but I haven't heard this for a long time now.

I think that it might benefit a very large setting who maybe doesn't have a very good SEF or Ofsted rating

Edited by bugbabe

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)