Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre-school On School Site By 2015

Hi all,

My leader asked me a question this morning and said that she was sure she had read it somewhere - so I offered to ask all you knowledgeable lot!

Does it state anywhere that there is a plan to get pre-schools onto school sites by 2015?

We are in the process of discussing moving onto the local school site - has anyone done this recently and are there any grants available to help with the initial costs?

Not as far as I know........do hope not - I don't want to move :(:o

Emma - I've just popped back to apologise........my post must have sounded so rude to you......I am just extremely lucky in that we have a great relationship with our local primary school - we are able to visit and use some of their lovely resources - outdoor stuff - we are always made welcome - we also attend various plays, concerts.......and the reception teacher and headteacher visit our setting too.........so this is working well, we are just around the corner from the school and that's the way I like it........a good 'partnership' but completely independent....

So anyway, sorry, if I sounded 'harsh' in my response......

All good wishes to you and your team - it sounds as if you would really like to move to the school site - hope it goes well for you! xD

I am just extremely lucky in that we have a great relationship with our local primary school - we are able to visit and use some of their lovely resources - outdoor stuff - we are always made welcome - we also attend various plays, concerts.......and the reception teacher and headteacher visit our setting too.........so this is working well, we are just around the corner from the school and that's the way I like it........a good 'partnership' but completely independent...

ah if only all schools were so accommodating :(:oxD:( i like my independence too

Guest rainyjaney

Wish this was the case! We have operated on a school site since January 2009. We are full and school has no nursery. They are being rebuilt - supposedly opening new building January 2012 - still with no nursery and no provision for our preschool. Currently trying to find alternative premises, as we cannot use our current premises after July this year.

Not dreaming it. Under the previous government's extended schools policy, there was a drive to have preschools on or near school sites by 2010. Don't know if there is an up-date to this recommendation saying 2015. We used this in our planning applications for having our building on a school site. The purpose seemed to be greater cooperation and better transitions.

Our village school barely has room for a playground, let alone our preschool too!

This is fine for larger urban schools but completely unrealistic for small ones.

Sunnyday - it did not sound rude at all! We are also close to the local school and have good links with it.

We are hoping that if we do move we will stay committee run and not run by the school, as we too would like to keep some independence.

It would, however, be great to have a purpose built pre-school and be able to provide full day care instead of the single sessions that we are forced to offer because the village hall is used by others.

We had a visit from Mrs O recently and even she said that it was very rare to see a sessional pre-school!

Thanks to Eileen8 also - my leader will be pleased to hear that she didn't imagine it even if everything has now changed again! :o

we're just about to move onto our school site, we were lucky enough to secure surestart funding for a new modular building, its been a long hard 2 years but should be moving in following feb half term :o have been setting up and packing away for 21 yrs and didnt think i'd ever see the day we were in our own premises.

Emma - I've just popped back to apologise........my post must have sounded so rude to you......I am just extremely lucky in that we have a great relationship with our local primary school - we are able to visit and use some of their lovely resources - outdoor stuff - we are always made welcome - we also attend various plays, concerts.......and the reception teacher and headteacher visit our setting too.........so this is working well, we are just around the corner from the school and that's the way I like it........a good 'partnership' but completely independent....

So anyway, sorry, if I sounded 'harsh' in my response......

All good wishes to you and your team - it sounds as if you would really like to move to the school site - hope it goes well for you! :o

Hey Sunnyday you read my mind!!!!!

I am sorry but I still believe in the benifits of sessional and pack away also not being on school grounds (but the heads up for Ofsted arriving would be different)

Big Sue

Edited by Bigsue

When you say 'pre-school' is this describing a setting who is delivering care/education for 3-4 year olds?

If so all our local schools provide this, and have done for the last 4-5 years, this has had a huge impact on all PVI settings and childminders in our area.

Most of these schools also take the children from the day they are 3 (if they have spaces), so as a setting that only takes from age 2 we sometimes only have children for a couple of months before they leave us.

we are independent but on a school site and work together as we also run the after school club. we have never been in direct compertion before but since jan they have taken rising 3s who we usually have till sept. this has just wiped us out. we had talked about linking together to make a unit but when it came to school budget cuts we went out with the bath water. if you can organise a secure contract and equal working relationship it could be very good keep my fingers crossed it all works out for you.

sue

We had a visit from Mrs O recently and even she said that it was very rare to see a sessional pre-school!

Sorry but this just shows (again) that they dont know what they are talking about. In my borough there are 70 + groups that are members of PSLA. Of these members at least 2/3 are sessional preschools/playgroups and I'm sur ewe are not the only borough where this is the case. If an EY's Ofsted inspector thinks it is rare to see a sessional pre-school then she shouldn't be inspecting EY's.