Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snow Yet?

Panders

We have about 5 inches now - it fell thick and fast yesterday afternoon!

My heating oil didn't materialise - boiler running on fumes now! :(

Keep telling myself 'it really does look beautiful' - not sure that I am very convincing though! :o

At what point do you start burning the furniture Sunnyday? xD Seriously, hope supplies get through soon.

My heating oil didn't materialise - boiler running on fumes now! :o

I was wondering about you yesterday when my sister said she'd ordered some a fortnight ago and was told it would be between Christmas and new year - it was almost on 5 when she ordered it and now it's on 2. She has an oil aga that does everything, so if she loses that then there's no cooking, hot water or anything. Talk about putting all her eggs into one basket - she refuses to have a backup cooker or even a microwave or immersion heather!

Guest MaryEMac

At the moment we have no snow but my husband was working in Mexico City last week and was supposed to get home yesterday. He's not now in Mexico but in the west of Ireland because all planes were diverted to Shannon airport (about 2,000 people put up in local hotels). He has been told that heathrow will not open till at least lunchtime tomorrow. The car is at Heathrow so however he gets across the Irish sea he will have to drive there before he can come home. he's quite happy at the moment as the hotel is warm, good food and plenty of guinness.!! Hope he is not too long though.

Mary

The stalactites hanging from my house and car are phenomenal!

My village looks like Narnia (mythical land - not our lovely fsf friend!)

Car is buried but Mr ppp flattened the battery on Sunday! Can easily jump start it but roads are too bad to take it for a spin to keep the battery going.

Snowed yesterday, more due this evening and tomorrow.

Still need spuds, veg and turkey for Saturday. Our local supermarkets have not had deliveries for days. Hoping M-In-Law can get us a turkey at least! Have chips and frozen peas - that'll do!

I do however, have all the ingredients to make yule log, chocs, ginger cake and mince pies - just made white choc fudge.

We'll survive!

When I ran the battery out in my car last year, the RAC chappie jump started it and then said I had to keep the engine running for half an hour or so and that would re-charge battery - perhaps you could do that each day until you can get out properly.

Well this will be one christmas that we will remember for some time to come for all its strange happenings. Hope you enjoy your Christmas lunch no matter what you get to eat PPP

Edited by Panders

No fresh snow here...yet. The forcast is for some more later.

I dont like it, but theres not a lot we can do about it is there?

All these people on the news moaning and getting in a tiz because they cant go where they want or the post hasnt arrived, are getting a bit boring now. I havent been able to buy a tree, we're using a 3 foot black one instead of the 6 foot real one we normally have and I have frail father-in-law who lives 2 miles away, but we're still his only source of food and tobacco. You just have to grit your teeth, accept that things are going pear shaped and plod on.

Its disapointing, especially if family are going to be missing, but we dont have to worry about roadside bombs, where the next meal is coming from for our children, or a roof over our heads. Sky news are really infuriating.

I say we postpone christmas till the summer then we can go to the July sales.

PPP, turkey, chips and peas sounds lovely. Almost feel like telling everyone I havent been able to get to the shops! :o

I agree Rea!

The best Christmas we ever had was one we celebrated on August the 25th, the year we went out to live in Afrika.

We had a tree, presents, mince pies, carols and even 'fake' snow, the whole works. It was really magical.

Im not the world's greatest fan of Christmas, so if it doesn't happen, then it doesn't, that's life, and when things like this happen, its the true spirit of Christmas that will out. If we cant get up to see my father in law (on his own, frail, and 100 miles away), then we have made arrangements that at least someone will see him over the festive period. That's the way it is. And if the family don't get their presents until the new year, then tough! And if we have to eat beans on toast, then so be it!

My son in law is a tanker driver and when we hear his horror stories, we are just glad he comes home safe every day.

I agree Rea!

The best Christmas we ever had was one we celebrated on August the 25th, the year we went out to live in Afrika.

We had a tree, presents, mince pies, carols and even 'fake' snow, the whole works. It was really magical.

We had several like this when our son was growing up.. dad away over Christmas so we had it when he returned... vividly remember a February one, and looks like our son is continuing the tradition as he is away this year and will have his with his partner when he returns... and all we get from him is... "Its still hot here!" ( away working in Oz!)

I have all in now but Turkey.. which is on order from local farm, so will have to get that Friday.. always have contingency plans of a joint in the freezer should we need it..

That said went to Asda this morning and there were more staff than customers.. kept falling over them everywhere.. !!

no more snow here since yesterday evening... have shovelled our drive out so often now! but had neighbour pop head over the fence and they were going to cash and carry would we like them to buy us a snow shovel... and they came back with this wonderful item that does the job in no time... brilliant!

I thought the same....

our snow is vanishing now...

I am about to go out and finish clearing the ice from the path- it defrosts a bit and just keeps freezing every night and becomes dangerous

and need to make an outing to the local post office... so glad there is still one in the village - we actually saved it from closure so make sure I only use there now.

I think we've seen the last of the snow fall here until Boxing Day. M-I-Law got us a turkey and we managed, I mean 'I' managed to start the car last night so took it out to pick up the turkey. All I need now is the spuds and the veg so will try and see if I can get some tomorrow - hoping that the supermarkets have had deliveries again.

Everything is thawing slightly now, all I can hear is drip drip drip but the temperature won't get above freezing for the foreseeable future.

All this fuss and I don't really like turkey....