Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Trees

Cait

Well, I've just come back from Cockermouth and passed two houses with all their Christmas lights on. Does anyone else think it's a bit soon - or is it just me being a bit 'Ba, humbug'?

They did look pretty, but honestly........

Some people just can't wait!! My boys always moan because I leave it very late before I decorate the house, but then I don't rush taking them down after Christmas either and wait for 12th night. I have friends who decorate very early on in Dec and can't wait to take them down on New Years day

If it was up to me I'd put the tree up on Christmas eve and take it down on Boxing day night! It's not that I don't like it, it's just that it feels so 'in the way'. Maybe I should get something much smaller this year, like 3 feet tall, so I can hide it, or move it about a bit.

I saw two houses where I live with outside decorations up already and personally I think its madness its not even December! I think it takes away the specialness of the actual event.

Lou

I to think it far too early.. and also always had to curb staff each year to not start the hype too early.. we set 1st December at the setting as the earlies we could do anything Christmassy, and put decorations up the first weekend in Dec, taking them down immediately after our party or they would 'walk'. :o

at home our tradition has always been to put them up on Christmas eve.. when son was young it was lovely to see him come down to see all the decorations and everything that had appeared overnight! as he got older he helped us.. think this came from my family, being continental, we had a present Christmas Eve as well... and for dad New year was always the bigger celebration, always fireworks... which was really unusual when I was little!

since son left home.. a small tree appears each year and a few other bits and pieces he made!

I do remember though having Christmas at very different times of year as our son was growing up. Dad was often away at Christmas so we had a second one when he came home, with decorations, tree, presents the whole thing.. neighbours really did think us odd then! all decorated in February, or March!

Inge

My hubbie grew up with the tradition of putting up the tree on Xmas Eve whereas I hate leaving it up after New Year's Eve (it seems wrong!)

One week wouldn't be long enough so hubbie has to compromise and I normally put it up in the 3rd week of December (15th onwards)

I like having the tree up but it's the cleaning before and after I could do without! My youngest was born on New Years Day and for various reasons, my husband and I decided that we would always take the tree down before his birthday so as not over have his birthday overlooked (if I just say "in-laws" here you might be able to draw the right conclusions!). Ours usually goes up a week after preschool finishes so I've got time to clean and then comes down on Dec 30th because my parents take the kids to theirs for 2 days every year - thank you ! - and it means we can do it without "help"! Oh and preschool usually finishes a week before the schools which means I'm not putting the tree up Christmas Eve, although it was pretty close to that when I was a child. I just get stressed these days that we won't get a nice tree if I leave it too long.

Well, when the family were young we used to put the tree up a the sunday before Chrsitmas and took down on 12th night- now all grown up and for me time seems to fly past we now put the tree up on the 1st week Dec!!!!!!!..and it still stays to 12th night. It's only the last 2 years that we've had an artifical - before that we all ways had real ones that always lasted the duration.

I love the tree, but we do not have any other decs as such just wreaths, flowers and candles etc

oh and a few sparkly bits here and there (well I am an Essex girl!!!)

xx

We've had a real tree from a local woods for years, 6 foot tall and wide, just manage to get it in the bay. Always goes up on the 15th of Dec because hubby's birthday is on the 14th, comes down on new years eve, or sooner if I can get away with it. xD

This year we're going back to having a small artifcial one on a table because the ferrets love climbing and causing big trouble, son said I'm spoiling christmas, but if I have the usual tree it will be wrecked within a couple of hours of the little wossits seeing it :o Its like having a couple of toddlers again!

never before 6th dec, my sons birthday wanted to keep it diferent, he was due on 25th though!, and always down day after boxing day, cannot stand it after that, messy! refuse to dust the decorations and we have a dusty house!

we start playgroup on the 1st dec, although the play and party letters have gone out as parents didnt have enough time to arrange themselves befroe the 17th!! some asked me what we were doing on the first day back in spetember!!!

oh and wizard is booked along with santa!