Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Head Lice

i need some advice, we have a child who continually is scratching their head, and i have noticed live headlice in their hair on a number of occasions.

everytime i quietly mention to mum, and she says she will treat her child.

this has been ongoing for months now, and now some of the duty parents have also noticed (as its at times very obvious) we have discussed confidentiality etc with them.

how can we progress from here ? i cant see that we can continue until the child leaves us for school - the poor child is continually scratching.

our policy states that we request the child is treated before returning to the setting - - but what if the treatment is not working ? and how can we be sure the child has actually been treated at all ?

You can't really do anything except explain to the mum that she needs to comb and condition every three days until her child's head is clear whether she has used treatments or not. Many parents think that the treaments work 100%. They usually do not. Combing and conditioning is the only effective cure. If you have the resources you could buy her a nit comb (the Nitty gritty ones are best) and offer to show her how to use in after the other children have gone.

You can't exclude the child because of it which is frustrating.

Hi i think if your policy clearly states a child is to be treated and cleared of head lice, eggs, before returning then you need to insist this. I actually thought you were unable to do this but if that is what you have agreed and the parent has signed to abide by the settings rules then you should beable to follow this through.

Could it be that the parent does not actually know how to treat them, have you a leaflet or letter that you can send out to all so as not to single them out.

Poor child must be very distressing and aggravating for them.

If you unable to go down this route, have you permission to speak to their Health Visitor of your concern. :oxD

we only 'request' that their child is treated, and we dont insist that they are clear before they return.

we have put leaflets (obtained from the gp surgery) in every childs drawer, and have a general information poster on the wall - im thinking maybe doing a little display in the entrance, with a basket of combs that they can help themselves to if needed ?

we only 'request' that their child is treated, and we dont insist that they are clear before they return.

we have put leaflets (obtained from the gp surgery) in every childs drawer, and have a general information poster on the wall - im thinking maybe doing a little display in the entrance, with a basket of combs that they can help themselves to if needed ?

That sounds like a good idea - the combs that is!

Haven't had this problem for ages - oh hope I haven't just tempted fate there! :o

My first thought was - poor child - must be so uncomfortable :( without knowing mum it's so hard to know what advice to offer.......do you think she is actually treating at all? Think I would have to have another 'word' with her......

(Haven't stopped scratching since I read this thread! :(xD )

Good luck with it all

Just in case some are unaware you can get

Nitty Gritty comb on prescription

the link takes you to the information...

we used to give out the letters to all parents telling them , think our GPs got fed up with us sending the parents to them but it really is the best comb around..

a leaflet drop to all parents reminding them and explaining how to treat often worked and did not single any family out... it is often the case that they think treatment once is enough..

Inge

Does anyone know if long hair, not tied back, can facilitate the spread of head lice? As children, we always had our hair tied back 'to prevent the spread', but there doesn't seem to be any of that at my children's school - even when there have been recent 'nit-alerts'. If lice go for the blood at the scalp then maybe it doesn't matter how long the hair is. If it does make a difference can settings ask for the return of the pig-tail? Or is that not on?

Honey

Not sure if long hair contributes but I imgine if children have their heads close together long hair will make a difference.

My lads had them once and had great fun competing who had the biggest when I dry combed them over the bath. :o

from the odd bits of reading I have done over the years..

tying back makes no odds, as they are on the scalp not ends of hair..

and in fact many advocate that it can make it worse... as it has a lovely warm undisturbed area for them to live in and breed on the scalp..

it is close head contact which spreads them

Inge

I like the idea of a display with combs to give away.

I had head lice quite badly after starting my first job in a nursery. I felt dirty and helpless as no matter how hard I tried I could not get rid of them. I tried all the treatments at the time and bought a variety of combs including the electronic one which incidentally only stuns the lice.

As an adult I had to manage this without someone checking my scalp to tell me if it was clear. I think there is a belief that lice are an inevitable part of children growing up. Head lice at worst can cause severe blood infections.

I found the nitcomb m2 which is available on amazon but I have been able to order them from any chemist. They have 2 rows of teeth and catch even the smallest ones between the rows. (a piece of card or running water clears the comb out) Conditioner on the hair works a treat. Another tip is to get rid of the eggs. Put vinegar on the hair at least an hour before washing to break down the cement on the eggs and makes the hair so shiny.

Parents won't benefit from leaflets showing nasties they need facts and support. Its a traumatic time. I thought I was an expert until I had to deal with my own daughters harvest.