Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Portfolios For Children

Hello everyone this is my first time on this site, so forgive me if I have posted in the wrong place.

I am re-organizing my porfolios for the children in the nursery - I have very limited amount of space in the nursery but my advisor sayes I have to have individual files for each child on the premises.

I have tried using a scrap book systems but informs me this is not the done thing.

I need a format for each child.

You just have to be canny and remember to take them out of the pocketed folders and fix with a treasury tag or metal binder for the parents before the child leaves , then the folders can be re-cycled :o

We use A4 ring binders with dividers for the six areas, termly reports in the front, and poly pockets for 'treasures' to slip into - again these are rebound and the files kept when the child moves on . xD

She has given me 40 A4 learning journey files to fit observations and children's work which I said I would use offsite however she said she wanted them onsite.

She has given me 40 A4 learning journey files to fit observations and children's work which I said I would use offsite however she said she wanted them onsite.

Yes I think the idea here is that they are always available to the key person, child and parent to look at and refer to. Some groups do not allow them off the premises and staff need to complete any work on them at the setting. I do allow them to go home overnight for catching up, but must be returned the following day.

we use A4 ring binders and as mentioned above recycle them however, this last leaver block we had to let some of the ring binders go as well as we had accrued so much info in them they would not fit into project folders we had previously switched them over to. But good old tescos come to the rescue with a cheap offer on ringbinders, so all replaced at very economical cost.

Hi,

We use A4 ring binders with poly pockets in. We take a photo of the child, add name and birthday, laminate and stick on the front with double sided tape.

We have four different colour binders to relate to our 4 key persons.

The front section has an 'All about me' from home then examples of work and photo's with observations and subsequent 'My story' updates about the child from home roughly each term. This section is in chronological order.

The second section, divided by a laminated divider, has the 6 areas of learning for observations etc...

We have them out in a wheely book box, however the folders are locked away each night and got out every morning. (we are a pack away setting) The children can choose to look at their book, or put something into it throughout the session.

The children have called them their 'Special books', and at the end of their time with us, we remove the observation/assessment section and archive. We then add a short poem and a page of teacher photo's... A lovely keepsake for the parents and children to add to or keep.

We started with the display books in Sept 2008, but found we outgrew them and some work didn't fit in etc.. With ring binders, you can fold and hole punch larger work.

I will say the downside is the children can sometimes ruin their folder, even tho we encourage them to care for it, however the delight and conversations that come from the children looking through them and adding to them is brilliant!!

Sorry it's so long..

Hope it helps

This all sound brilliant - I have just changed the lock of our cupboard in the rented accomodation and hopefully they will be safe there.

So you all the children to have access to them too?

Yes as something to share with the parent, choosing what type of things they would like included into it - maybe some artwork if it can be prised out of their hands - or some of their handwriting, we go through photographs with them, which ones they would like added. Personally wouldn't leave them alone with the folder - too much work goes into them, some of ours would just start taking it out and chopping it up! Definitely a good time sharing with them and reminiscing

We spiral bind ours with one of those book binder machines. We laminate the front and back cover which has our logo photo of child and date of birth, put any photocopied stuff in eg letter to parents, next step sheets, and assessment sheets at the back, then lots of a4 in the middle. They work really well, and you can add to them if necessary. They don't take up much room as they are all the same size and don't have a wide edge like a ring binder.

You have been so kind and a usefull resources for all.

Do you use observation formats or do you add comments to the children art work

both. We like to add the children's own comments about their things in their own special book. Each time they look through it with someone we hear different comments and memories which can add to, or strengthen their earlier comments.

the books and binder system really work - it is just to get key workers involved in the whole process of learning and adding the next steps

Hi there Everone

I get a bit confused how to write on the children portofolios

Do we ues our own words or has to be in diferent way

Sorry I am having one of those days ,nothing is right

Ana :o

We have a mix,I do like to record the children's voice as well as my own and Parents comments. I've found with some good photos, children are quite happy to tell you what was going on and I scribe the words for them and 'bingo' they've done their own observation! All I need to do then is record any next steps covered by the observation and possibly the chat too!

Can anyone share some of your portofolios ,so I can have a peek

At the moment I am trying to do mine , but i dont know whats the best way

Thanks

Ana :o

We generally use ring binders but are trying those slippy pocket books this year - which I don't think will be big enough so we'll go back to the ring binders before too long I expect! Parents complete a section to start them off - that's uploaded into the resource library if you want to look and then we have Key Person pages with observations and next steps plans in and then it's all the children's pages made up of annotated photographs, children's pictures and things they've brought in to put in (such as leaves, feathers, tickets etc)

Sorry Ana, unable to share as ours are just blank pages that we stick everything onto and then bind. Just didn't want you to think you were being ignored.

Hi

Thanks so much for replying to me

Ana

We also use A4 folders. We similarly divide into the 6 areas of learning with the sub divisions (into which we transfer daily notes)as this makes it easier for us to complete the east sussex summative assessments when they go to school, 24 & 36 months. We put in some art work etc & photos along with long observations, notes from parents meetings, individual learning plans etc. The parents think they are fantastic when they get to keep them. During the day they are kept in a moveable cabinet so that children, staff & parents can access & then as we are a packaway setting they are wheeled back into our locked cupboard.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)